How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Kenguin

How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People

Post by Kenguin »

I found this talk at google recently about how large-scale open source projects deal with a lot of tricky problems involving people. I thought it might be good advice for some of the developers of Open Source Uru whenver the source actually gets released :) It's long but worth it if you're interested in this kind of stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSFDm3UYkeE

x-posted at mystonline.com http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 779#297779
Nalates

Re: How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People

Post by Nalates »

The video while made for coders is about more than just the coding effort. As the speakers point out the concepts are for any community group.

I think forum moderators and operators should see and consider the points in the video. Understanding the things poisonous people do and how to decide when to act and when to stand firm would help a community grow and stay healthy.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Mac_Fife

Re: How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People

Post by Mac_Fife »

Nalates wrote:The video while made for coders is about more than just the coding effort. As the speakers point out the concepts are for any community group.
I agree, and I've pointed some of my colleagues on non-software Working Groups to this video. But at 54 minutes long it takes a bit of commitment to sit through it - I wish there was a short-form version so the messages could be delivered to those with a shorter attention span :D.

On the more positive aspects of building teams, Paul Allen and Stuart Frost* have quite a good write up on teams: Team types, team attributes, member roles, etc. Their viewpoint is component-based OO software development, but again many of the ideas cross over into the wider world.

* "Component-Based Development for Enterprise Systems: Applying the SELECT Perspective" Cambridge University Press/SIGS Books 1998, ISBN 0-521-64999-4
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “Suggestions”