Project: D'ni Social Area

An Open Content Development Team For Myst Online: Uru Live Again And Compatible Fan Shards

Moderator: OSCAR Managers

Nye_Sigismund

Re: Project: D'ni Social Area

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

I'd say go ahead, but make sure to reference this topic in the first post for that topic. I'd rather not chop up project threads like this one.

To be clear, I'd prefer to make sure that the programmer(s) implementing the games decide on the best way to do them. It'll have to be sorted by the time the level design document is written (which I hope will be before July) but doesn't need to be decided right now. I'm not sold on utilising lots of imagers, though. If imagers are to be used, there should only be a few of them - maybe two per game. This would then have the problem of limited game space - but if we decided to make this into both a public and hood instance then that would hopefully be averted (and give the hoods game rooms!)

In case anyone is interested, I've set up a simple Bitbucket repo for OSCAR and this project. It should be simple to shunt the repo over here once full development gets going. https://bitbucket.org/Nye_Sigismund/team-oscar

In there there's a level design document, which as things are decided on will get filled up with details on what we're making. Having a concrete LDD will make stage 4 way easier.
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks, Nye.

By the way, I'm not just talking about game delivery, but a more general-purpose tool: something that non-programmers might be able to use to bring in info that they are able to create/change from the web.
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Bit quiet on here at the moment. My final year 2 exam is tomorrow, and after that I have largely free reign to work on this over the summer, hooray!

I'll put the level design document up on Google Docs tomorrow, I think. Much easier to access it there. Then I'll do some blocking out in 3ds Max to give people an idea of the actual level itself beyond some really bad concepts by myself! :P

If all goes well, fingers crossed this area can be completed by September. I can do the graphics over a couple of weeks, and hopefully code and wiring can be completed over the month after that.
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Google Docs link here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16bK ... y=CLOotIQJ

Google Docs is a seriously good bit of coding. It did slightly break the formatting when I uploaded it, though!

I'll have some nice 3d blocking out done for this evening for feedback, provided I don't get too addicted to mastering Magneto in Marvel vs Capcom 3.
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Just added about a page's worth of text to the LDD, mostly about the plot behind the area.
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR

Return to “OSCAR - Open Source Creation and Restoration”