Project: Sanctuary

An Open Content Development Team For Myst Online: Uru Live Again And Compatible Fan Shards

Moderator: OSCAR Managers

andylegate

Project: Sanctuary

Post by andylegate »

Another project that I had going, but have not worked on in many months was an Age called Sanctuary. Here is a Max shot:

The basic idea was to have a garden type Age resembling Delin, but I wanted it to be a bigger than that. There is a small waterfall and stream, where the player follows the stream over to what looks like a plant covered wall. If they are in the stream, they'll slide threw the plants and out an opening of what ends up being a very large waterfall, where they plumet to a small lake below. A fixed cam will capture the player falling and hitting the lake, where the current then carries them to the shore (current being strong enough to discourage swimming around). The shore is a plateau where there would be ruins for the players to explore.

Here are more screen shots of the work exported so far (not a lot done, heh):

Ideas, suggestions, want to work on would be great!
Dot

Re: Project: Sanctuary

Post by Dot »

Would you be interested in a Devokan story thread being developed around this? I can imagine what might be there in the ruins.

Similarly for the Mechanical Area...
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Andy, I'd be happy to work on this age. I can probably get the graphics polished to a spitshine quite quickly.
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
andylegate

Post by andylegate »

Before anyone can do work on this, I need to put it back in Max 7 (I started work on this in Max 8), which I've already started yesterday and should only take another day.

@Dot: Let's hold of for now about the storyline. Originally it was suppose to be loosely linked to Devokan, as this is the place that Andy came to after his confrontation with Quin over Serene, but the idea was that the ruins that will be below were D'ni in nature. We could hammer out something once we see where this goes.

Right now I'm working on a Tram that people ride in MC, and 2 other Ages for it, a special canyon on Earth that is for Geological and Biological education, and another spot in MC for learning chemistry and physics. But that's my day job, and at night I turn to more personal projects like this.
Dot

Post by Dot »

That sounds fine to me. Good luck with all the projects! :)
andylegate

Post by andylegate »

Here you go Nye, as something tells me you are itching to mess with this one, ;)

Sanctuary.zip

Zip file contains the Max 7 file, .age file, and all the textures used so far. I re-imported it into Max 7 and re-applied most of the textures that were there.

Have fun! :D
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

*reinstalls Max 7*

Anyway. I'll do some spitshine and see what I can do to get the environment finished. For the meantime I'll set up a Sanctuary project folder on the Bitbucket repo.

EDIT: Good lord, Max 7 is awful. D: There seems to be a bit of disparity between the screenshots and what you put up by the way. But I've done a bit of tweaking to what I got - screens to follow.

EDIT X2: Okay, I need to get to my proper dev computer to test out how this looks in PotS at least, but here's tonight's work.

Change notes:
1) Revamp of meshes. I removed the bits of architecture on the walls so I can add them back in a little better later on. I patched up holes in the meshes and merged together the ground, river and wall meshes. I used displace to add some geometry to the wall and relax to add curves to the meeting between wall and ground.
2) Added really rough placeholder for a small cave which the river is flowing into.
3) Added some meshes for the base and surface of the river.
4) Added skybox and lighting (lighting is WIP)
5) Texture work. For the time being I've simplified the down to one layer each, I think. I also did some work on texture blending.
http://www.mediafire.com/?237odn97cup9w95
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR

Return to “OSCAR - Open Source Creation and Restoration”