Standards for Voting at New Greeter Meetings

Community Forum Of The New Greeters

Moderator: New Greeters Managers

Trekluver

Standards for Voting at New Greeter Meetings

Post by Trekluver »

Hello everyone.

I've recently been thinking of organizing another guild meeting, but before doing so, we need to set the standards for something of importance. This something is how we will vote on guild proposals going forward. During our last meeting, we did our voting with simple "yay's" and "nay's." However, there were some inherent issues with this, such as the lack of full voting or even "ratification" by the entire guild. This was due to the lack of votes, rather than a lack of support on the various proposals.

My personal solution to this problem is to ask everyone else how we can fix it. :D We could try a round table discussion type of voting, but doing so this way runs the issue of bias towards one member or another's personal preferences. We could also set up another "style" of yay/nay voting, where things are voted on but ratified differently.

Whatever we end up deciding on this matter, I'd like the full community's input on this; it may be a GoNG matter at heart, but hearing how other groups have done it in the past may help us make a wiser decision. :)
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
angelmyst17

Re: Standards for Voting at New Greeter Meetings

Post by angelmyst17 »

I have seen votes at hood meetings where ..
1. The avitar must be present...no proxies.
2. The votes are all accounted...yeas...nays and abstains.(this is a given)
3. The vote is done by physically moving the avi to the center of a circle....which makes a visual, accountability, to your voice in the vote.
I know from personal experience that it is easy to say 'yea' or raise your hand, but if you have to make a more visible choice, you are more likely to be sure of your mind on the matter, and then to back up your decision.

Not sure if this is the kind of input you are looking for....:)

luv angelmyst
The aura remaining when I leave the Cavern KI 37385
Trekluver

Re: Standards for Voting at New Greeter Meetings

Post by Trekluver »

Mac PM'ed this to me message; with his permission, I present it for further discussion:
Mac_fife wrote:Hi Trek,

Allow me to chip in here:
You probably want to differentiate between "routine business" and anything that has "constitutional significance": For the former, a simple majority of yeas over nays from those in attendance is probably all you need with abstains discounted. For the latter (which may not be something that comes up often), you probably want to ask for a majority of the entire group, meaning that abstains count like nays and probably needs a "postal/online ballot". I'd say that deciding on your balloting system is an example of a "constitutional matter" since it affects how you conduct your business.

I run a weekly online meeting/conference call for my IEEE Standards Working Group. For reference, you can look at the Operating Procedures we prepared for that, although they probably go into a lot of stuff that isn't relevant to you: http://www.sjtag.org/procedures.html

Regards,
I would like to add that we probably won't be voting on anything of "constitutional significance," since the New Greeters from the get go have been distancing itself from, for lack of a better term, "bureaucratic" activities and been operating more like a "game guild" might. Aside from determining how we will vote on things, I can't think of anything else that might be considered something other than "routine." However, suggestions on this are still wide open. :D
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Return to “New Greeters”