Observation of New Hood Activity - Time for a GoNG Schedule?

Community Forum Of The New Greeters

Moderator: New Greeters Managers

Mac_Fife

Re: Observation of New Hood Activity - Time for a GoNG Sched

Post by Mac_Fife »

Mind if I butt in here? I've been watching this thread for a while and feel I need to comment.

What you guys need to be careful of is losing sight of your role to "Greet" and turning into some kind of self-appointed vigilante force. If you're seeing an activity on MOULa that you think is questionable and can support it with (some) evidence then report it to http://support.cyanworlds.com or by PM/email to Tor'i (or to Dog if you happen to see him in cavern, but PM/email is usually better). I've been successful in getting accounts closed down before when the owner had created offensive avatar names. Cyan can't stop someone coming back with a new email address but they can block a user by IP address if necessary and they also have other techniques that they're a little less willing to talk about.

However, there's nothing in the TOS that says that someone can't flip avatars, create and delete them at a whim or anything of that sort, so if there's a complaint there it needs to be based on actual griefing that can be documented to be affecting other players, and not a suspicion that something is happening.

Just throwing in my tuppence worth as a MOUL mod ;)...
Last edited by Trekluver on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Note: Edited Cyan Support link.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

As always Mac, you're very welcome (and encouraged!) to comment. :D

I suppose I should have made mention of this before; the reason I jumpstarted the New Greeters in the first place was to help fill the need for more cavern greeting, to help out new players, and to help folks properly handle cavern griefing. That said, the proper handling of griefers should still be adhered to: through the means Mac noted, Cyan support, and also through technical implementations as a result of open source. These are the only ways we as greeters are allowed, or should be allowed to do such things. It is a player's responsibility to report what they see to Cyan in order to fix specific people's griefing. I wrote up this article on this subject, but maybe I need to make a few changes. ;)

Back on subject, I think this topic is interesting, if only to get to the bottom of why exactly this is happening. Just keep in mind these things I've mentioned. ;)
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
angelmyst17

Post by angelmyst17 »

The hood with the offensive avi name has disappeared....YEA!! not sure how this cam about but I have been checking for a while and it has not come back on the NExus.

The problem with someone flipping the Nexus has continued, not at as a huge of a rate as it was but we still have 3 hoods/day on average. and many names are still just showing up on the viewer 1x.

I, in my social nature have chosen to make a new avi to greet newbies and check on hood activity....she is ...
tsoonootahn'angel ( greeter angel)
KI# 18482646

I will continue to post here with angelmyst but I get more accomplished with greeting newbies and checking hoods with an avi who is not my primary.....with all of my buds from the past near 2 years on her list.
I am enjoying this totally....:)

luv angelmyst
The aura remaining when I leave the Cavern KI 37385
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

There are around 500 or so new accounts created every month (and that's been fairly consistent + or - 100 since around 3 months after MOULa opened) if you assume that each new account creates only one new avatar then that will create about 15 avatars per day (3/4 of a hood). Given that we have 4000+ different logins being used in each month, then we have at least 3500 repeat players who may be creating new avatars, and the average player logs in 8 times per month: You could say that there are 35,000 opportunities each month (or over a 1,000 per day) for an existing player to create a new avatar.

3 new hoods in a day is 60 avatars. Take out the 15 from new accounts and you're left with 45 new avatars created out of 1,000 or so logins. Where am I headed on this? I'm not sure: What I'm saying is that 4% of logins result in a new avatar being created - I'm just not sure if that is high, low or normal. It doesn't feel extraordinarily high and the metrics suggest that the usage pattern for MOULa hasn't changed much over time (although one or two individual's behaviour wouldn't show in the overall stats). I don't think there any longer term measures on avatar creation though. Back in the early days of MOULa I used to track the new hoods and we were getting 10 or maybe even 20 new hoods per day then. But we also had a lot of new users each day too.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
angelmyst17

Post by angelmyst17 »

Interesting stats Mac....good to know.

I am mainly watching the newest hoods for newbies now and just noting the rapid creation of avis as a side note.
I do know to send in and offensive names to T'ori, and have done so and will continue to do so,
as I want this place to remain a good place for my kids to play on line.
With the huge numbers of gaming sites that are geared to violent activities, and the occult, I am glad my children have a social type game that is safe.
I hope it stays that way.

luv angelmyst
The aura remaining when I leave the Cavern KI 37385

Return to “New Greeters”