Observation of New Hood Activity - Time for a GoNG Schedule?

Community Forum Of The New Greeters

Moderator: New Greeters Managers

angelmyst17

Observation of New Hood Activity - Time for a GoNG Schedule?

Post by angelmyst17 »

....In dealing with newbies, I have decided to camp out in the newest hood in the Nexus. This has lead to a discovery, probably not news to those around the Cavern longer than I, but something that would be interesting to see if we could address at some point in time.

The flip over of new hoods is progressing at an alarming rate, but it is not, unfortunately, due to new peeps coming into game for the long haul. I surveyed 6 hoods to this point, and seldom does an avi name show up more than twice on the hood's viewer. Even more seldom are these avis ever encountered my me in the city. I am in the Cavern daily, and in the city any time from noon eastern time to 11pm.

I have about 6 newbies on my buddy list who are actually progressing through the ages, none of these are in the hoods that I had surveyed. Out of the near 46 avis in those 6 hoods surveyed, only 5 of them I have seen in the city, 3 are long time players, who I am sure are members of other hoods. This leaves maybe 2/46, who are really newbies in those 6 hoods.

Two things are , not just possibilities, but I am quite certain, what is happening.

1. Players are flipping avis just to do so. I have seen this happen.....someone come into the hood.....run right to book room go into nexus book, and that avi never show again...but shortly after another avi will come in and do the same thing. This is a form of griefing, as some of these avis do come to the city and are not interested in playing the ages...just running around and literally getting in people's faces.

2.Players are coming into the game and are not being helped. I have met new players in the city. I will go into the city and scan for names I do not recognize. I then send them a PM, asking if they are new, and if they need help. I have had at least 3 who have found the KI, found the city, and then wander aimlessly.

I will address an idea for problem #1 later...but problem #2 is our problem. ..Greeters...we need to have a schedule, so these newbies do not 'fall through the cracks' (and we know there are several of them to be patched) ;) We do need to "evangelize the community".....I want this place to stay alive, I want my grandkids to come to love it! (BTW grandchild # 2 is on the way!!....found out my son is going to be a DAddy!!! Two grandkids in less than a year..boy is this angel feeling old)
Problem #1 is a more serious issue. The invisibility will solve the problem of the griefer getting in people's faces, but not the unnecessary adding of hoods.
Would it be possible to have it so all avitars made from an account are in the same hood until they learn how to personalize the hood or join an established hood? This should not be an issue for those long time players who make new avis as 'storage units'. They would have 'their' hood and the storage avi's hood on private most likely.
I am sure there may be issues with this, but I am throwing it out there for you all who know way more about this than I do. I know the hood will dop off the nexus eventually, but as a Greeter, it is somewhat...ummm..irritating to be out there to help..and then have them be griefers.....maybe I am over sensitive...lol

I am having fun as a new Greeter....I am very social by nature, and take the time to chat with newbies, and make them feel welcome. I am working on other help texts for the KI...how to manuals..... how to add buddy...how to change hoods.......and the like.
I have them on my buddy list and text them now and again to see how they are progressing. I had the fun (well if you call Ahnonay fun) of helping one of my newbies flip spheres the other day!!! Like watching a baby take its first step!!lol
luv yo
Last edited by Trekluver on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Note: Changed title to better reflect the topic of discussion.
The aura remaining when I leave the Cavern KI 37385
Annabelle

Re: Observation of New Hood Activity - Time for a GoNG Sched

Post by Annabelle »

@ Angelmyst

The new hoods are odd entities. I could be "seen" as a griefier since I'm doing what you tell in your 1st point...I log in, don't even change my appearance, run to the blue book, link in the XYZ Bevin, I don't mind much what's the number, I run to Gahreesen to grab my KI, I link to the Nexus book right beside the KI machine, log back to my Relto, delete the hood book and create in my Nexus a new hood...then I breathe :lol: I do this so nobody can "grab"' my KI number so I keep it secret.

Over the last few months, I even developped a new strategy for a big reorg: let say I want to create 4 or 5 avatars at the same time. I create a 6th avatar who I called any name that cross my mind... this avatar has only 1 purpose...to sneak on the "neighbors" list to grab my other avatars KI numbers. As soon as the avatar is created the KI is given even though you cannot know it. I then use a third avatar on plClient who netlink my avatars between Reltos to make new memberships to my new avatars. Unless someone is checking the KI numbers of every neighbors, the odds that they can see my KI numbers are very low. My real 4 or 5 avatars never go to the numeric bevin they are assigned to. The first hood they visited is Annabelle's World's or Annabelle-Sophie's.

Angelmyst wrote
Would it be possible to have it so all avitars made from an account are in the same hood until they learn how to personalize the hood or join an established hood? This should not be an issue for those long time players who make new avis as 'storage units'. They would have 'their' hood and the storage avi's hood on private most likely.
All this to say that I would really like to have dedicated neighborhoods, one for each of my accounts so it will be easier for me to hide myself. I really find that bugging when I cross a real newbie and that person ask me a legitimate question...I have to help that explorer, I won't let them down in the unknown... but then they don't understand why my avatar has the weird name, let say "Strolls in the Gardens" (deleted avatar but she has existed at some point).

You might want to say: "Yes Annabelle but you are a unique case! with 64 avatars...". I don't know a well-established skydiver without at least 10 avatars and many have over 20 avatars. Skydiving calls for having a lot of avatars.

@ Angelmyst:

Congrats to your son who will be soon a daddy :D
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

This is an interesting point you bring up angelmyst. It's something I've never truly thought of before, but also something I think we should discuss. I'll cover my opinions on each subject individually:

#1: Funny you should mention this. Check your PM's on the MOULa forums and get back to me there. ;)

#2: This is an issue we've discussed in the past. Right now our ranks are not steady enough for everyone to have a set schedule. Plus, doing so now runs the risk of getting very, for lack of a better term, "bureaucratic" with the guild's operations (Something I'd like to avoid like the plague.). We discussed writing our names on the GoNG calendar whenever we go greeting, but it never caught on and felt a bit clunky to begin with. We could always try something like this again, but a little on the simpler side. Actually, something that would work much better would be a specially designed web app that tracks your cavern status. I have some ideas on how this might work, but I'll have to speak to a couple designers and see if they think it will work.

These are all important areas that need improvement and I'm curious what comes from them. By the way, I hope you don't mind, but I changed the topic title to better reflect our discussion. :)
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
charura

Post by charura »

I just spoke with angelmyst in-game...This is a snap of what she is referring to...she can expound on this later.

Just click on the thunbnail for a bigger pic.

angelmyst17

Post by angelmyst17 »

Ty for posting picture...
This is Hood # 4394 it was created immediately after the server reboot today.
With 2 exceptions all visitors have only been in the hood one time. and the time index shows they are in fairly quick succession. This is a form of griefing that has not been noted that I am aware of...and it is not open griefing.
This individual, and I am assuming it to be so, has also filled Hood # 4395.
In this hood he/she has chosen to use an avi name that has improper reference. The avi name is MasterBaiter. This is against the guidelines set out in avi- naming. The time index in hood 4395 is also in quick succession all from 4:10 until 6:08 pm....nearly immediately after those created in #4394. There must be something we can do about this.
I ran into an avi in this last hood, not sure if he is the perpetrator...he has followed my help to go get his KI...will see if he shows back up and if the hood-flipping slows down a bit.
I really want to help newbies...but this behavior makes it nigh near impossible...

luv angelmyst
angelmyst17

Post by angelmyst17 »

CaptainQuery suggested that a restriction to 1 avi / e-mail address ( for newbies)or better yet mac address for a 30 day period would help solve this problem. All new avi names created could be reviewed in that 30 day period....any other suggestions..is this possible?
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

:shock: :?

Wow ok that's far from what I was doing... I see what you mean now Angel... and thx to Charura for her visual proof too

I know Dogherra was in city after the reset was done today. We didn't see any griefer. I do wonder what is the cost of having him online like that. When we speak, he answers back ... sometimes ;) so he is not just standing there.

Something should be done because it might drains a lot of money to run after the griefers. And yes I think like Angel said in previous post, the person behind that must be only one.

CaptainQuery had a great idea. I see only one issue though (maybe the mac address solves it, I really don't know what a mac address is), issue of the griefer who create multiple account and make 1 avatar by account.

I created 18 accounts out of the 21 I'm using and they all have been really easy to do. gmail or hotmail are quick ways to create accounts.
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
angelmyst17

Post by angelmyst17 »

Yes, Annabelle. I realized that what you do is not what this person or persons have been doing. They change their appearance even sex, and do not get their Ki.
The main problem I see is that among the fake avis is at least i legitimate newbie...so this hood is full of nobodies, and the nasty names he chooses to use stay in view, of possibly children. Bad enough it is in my view, and others who have a moral compass.
In hood 4392 there are two avis I have met, the others seem to be this griefer.
In hood 4394 there is 1 player i have helped on their way in game, and 1 other who had his KIand was on his way.
In hood 4395, while I was checking viewer, two of those names showed back up and they came for their KI and asked for help.

I really care about this game....and have been spending a lot of time helping newbies and now checking into this problem..simply because I love this place!

Thanks

luv angelmyst
ps hood 4397 was in creation when I left last night...will be interesting to see how far it progressed...I will set a report here later.
angelmyst17

Post by angelmyst17 »

Indeed.....4397 filled up...time index in quick succession again with only two names that were repeats...as there should be repeats if one has gone to get their KI....

And the lewd name I mentioned earlier has shown up in another hood....it was active in hood # 4391, so this avitar is 'ingame' and it would be terrible if he were to show up in city.

I know of several children in game...3 of which are mine.
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

Hum... I don't think there's anything we can do about the lewd names aside from getting the enhanced ignore pushed through to Cyan.

As far as the hood creation goes, it's interesting to see that this is happening. Wonder if Cyan ever removes them?

Limiting a player's avatars won't do a thing; just like on the MOULa forums, spammers will grab another email address and use it. However, it really strikes a nerve; though I've never seen this type of griefing before, I think we'll eventually come up with a practical solution. ;)

Keep it up angelmyst! :)
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Return to “New Greeters”