What can you do for Minkata and MOULa?

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

cjkelly1

Re: What can you do for Minkata and MOULa?

Post by cjkelly1 »

Doobes wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:41 pm
Hoikas wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:35 pm If MOSS is raising some kind of warning on version 0, the warning itself is a bug in MOSS.
Ah. I stand corrected. :)
I just put that in because it was simply an observation of my testing. I was not intending to imply that there was a bug to be fixed. My apologies if my post was written in such a way as to make that implication.
Doobes

Post by Doobes »

cjkelly1 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:34 am I just put that in because it was simply an observation of my testing. I was not intending to imply that there was a bug to be fixed. My apologies if my post was written in such a way as to make that implication.
No worries. As long as it didn't crash things, it's all good. :)
KI Numbers: Doobes - 6302
rarified

Post by rarified »

Interim status update on Minkata.

cjkelly has submitted a source code patch to the existing client to include changes in handling PhysX cooked assets needed to use Korman generated ages. I have added that code to the existing Minkata code base, and updated Minkata with a new client incorporating those changes.

In addition, I have resurrected the Minkata-alpha server, without using the single sign on mechanism that I was unable to realize earlier with PostgreSQL. So both Minkata and Minkata-alpha are actually live right now, and completely isolated from one another. The two main differences are
  • The Minkata-alpha account list (and associated avatars) were cloned from Minkata last week. There currently is no separate way to register for a Minkata-alpha account from any of the OpenUru web pages. A new user who wants to use Minkata-alpha will need to register for a Minkata account, and wait until I update the -alpha account tables from base Minkata.
  • Minkata-alpha is running the Internal client, while Minkata continues to run the External client. Minkata-alpha’s file manifests are quite old, not even mentioning fan clothing from a while ago. That said, I am working on finishing some features to my manifest maintenance utility for MOSS to (easily) allow addition of new manifest entries. So Emor’s and Doobes’ test ages are not there yet.
I’m posting this so people on this list can start giving the switchover mechanism a checkout and identify problems early while I continue working in the bowels of Minkata. I would rather keep the news about resuscitation of Minkata-alpha to those actively on this topic for now as those watching it are experienced Uru users. If you never attempted to use the Minkata to Minkata-alpha context switch, please read this topic.

One other annoyance right now is that switching back from the Internal to External client destroys saved login information, so you will have to re-enter your account credentials when going back to Minkata after using Minkata-alpha.

More as I make further progress.
_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Hi, rarified, I fired up the alpha, made some changes to Relto (book tabs) and Teledahn (doors, buckets), then logged off and used my other laptop to visit normal Minkata. Unfortunately the changes had carried over to my normal account. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - if I have understood correctly what I was meant to be checking!

(Treehugger in Minkata)
rarified

Post by rarified »

Treehugger wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:51 pm Hi, rarified, I fired up the alpha, made some changes to Relto (book tabs) and Teledahn (doors, buckets), then logged off and used my other laptop to visit normal Minkata. Unfortunately the changes had carried over to my normal account. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - if I have understood correctly what I was meant to be checking!
Something sounds wrong here. After the last time I set up Minkata-alpha and had this behavior reported, I used this test yesterday myself switching between the two servers and did not see any common behavior between the two when I changed settings in my Relto.

I’m just getting up now so it will be a little while before I can look at things. Perhaps by then we may hear other people’s experiences one way or the other. But thank you for trying.

_R
Emor_D'ni_Lap

Post by Emor_D'ni_Lap »

Now, this is odd:
I logged in to Minkata-Alpha just fine, the patcher ran and updates happened and I did some moving and rearranging in-game.
Then I went to check in normal Minkata. As soon as the patcher ran, my AV shut the process down. I've created AV exceptions for both URULauncher and PlClient, but my AV halted the process at the patcher (or perhaps the patcher download).
What's different about the Alpha patch/download and the Main patch/download that would cause AV to abort the process on the Main only?

In any case, the upshot is that shutting AV off momentarily permitted the patch to happen and the result was that things changed in Alpha did not cross over into the Main shard.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Emor_D'ni_Lap wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:09 pm Now, this is odd:
I logged in to Minkata-Alpha just fine, the patcher ran and updates happened and I did some moving and rearranging in-game.
Then I went to check in normal Minkata. As soon as the patcher ran, my AV shut the process down. I've created AV exceptions for both URULauncher and PlClient, but my AV halted the process at the patcher (or perhaps the patcher download).
What's different about the Alpha patch/download and the Main patch/download that would cause AV to abort the process on the Main only?
I do not know. The only unusual action taken by the batch script for launching alpha is that it adds execute permission to the batch file itself so the windows explorer can run it by clicking on it. Oh, and the client will now be accessing the NxCooking.dll library which it did not before. But that reference should happen in both internal and external clients.
In any case, the upshot is that shutting AV off momentarily permitted the patch to happen and the result was that things changed in Alpha did not cross over into the Main shard.
Ok, that is good to hear. It sounds like I need to work more in depth with Treehugger to see what was happening.

_R
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

I just did the reverse check too, rarified, I made changes in (proper) Minkata and saw the same changes in alpha (moving a fish basket in Eder Gira). Alpha is showing up as using the internal client so that seems to be working correctly. My other laptop has never been set up to use alpha, so I know it's using proper Minkata.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
rarified

Post by rarified »

Treehugger wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:33 pm I just did the reverse check too, rarified, I made changes in (proper) Minkata and saw the same changes in alpha (moving a fish basket in Eder Gira). Alpha is showing up as using the internal client so that seems to be working correctly. My other laptop has never been set up to use alpha, so I know it's using proper Minkata.
I need to look at the logs on the two servers Treehugger, to get a better understanding of what is going on.

Please confirm both your Minkata and Minkata-alpha client show the build name in the window banner as “Minkata.130”.

I need to head out before snow arrives so I will be gone for a couple of hours.

_R
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

yup, both 130.

(Treehugger in Minkata)

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”