Christmas thoughts 2019

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

rarified

Christmas thoughts 2019

Post by rarified »

Shorah, friends of Cyan, Uru and OpenUru!

It is commonly held that themes of giving and gratitude are embedded in the celebrations we hold during these holiday seasons. I would like to offer a few thoughts of my own in the context of our community.

It seems to me a foundation of giving and gratitude rests in imagination. One imagines and anticipates when giving. One imagines possibilities for things we are grateful about.

In the context of Uru, imagination is at the top of the list of things I think about. Sometime -- somewhere, someone had an idea. That idea spread -- to a small group at first, later as it grew to what we now know as Cyan and the development of the entire D'ni world, offered as a gift of art in the form of a computer game. The influence of imagination didn't stop there. Individuals who were curious obtained copies of the games. Explored the imaginary worlds. Imagination took root in them as well.

Some were inclined to examine the worlds in minute detail, reveling in gratitude and wonder at the rendering of an idea. Others went beyond the game experience and explored the insides of the game. How was it possible to present this experience? And still others found their own imaginations run free, wondering about the possibilities of yet other worlds, yet to be unveiled in the future.

As time went on, and the storyline and presentation of the story evolved, those who were influenced by the idea came to form what we now call "the community." This community had representatives with many different interests and abilities. Many were content to merely visit and enjoy the company of other community members while believing they were inside the D'ni worlds, or when outside talking about their experiences. Others wanted to do what they could to ensure the continuation of the community, the underpinnings of their experience, the game world mechanics. The history of Myst Online is rich with these efforts at various times, all possible because of the giving of individuals who were touched by the original gift.

The point of these ramblings is that I wanted to express gratitude for these gifts such a wide field of individuals have offered to this community. For gifts that have been given leading up to our current ability to visit the D'niverse. For the gifts being given this instant by many, in many forms, that we may continue to visit. And for the unknown gifts yet to be imagined by community members yet to come. All of these things I am grateful for.

Finally, recognizing we are richly endowed with these presents, I think an outcome of gratitude is hope. I look forward with hope that the momentum of the worlds Cyan imagined and gave, that the community that formed and provided the energy keeping these worlds alive, and to those that look forward to enriching these worlds, all succeed in their goals and keeping something wonderful alive.

May you all have a most joyful and bountiful holiday, everyone.

_rarified
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”