Minkata Update Build #190 2020.07.06

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Treehugger

Re: Minkata Update Build #190 2020.07.06

Post by Treehugger »

*returning to the test reports :shock:

In all the testing I have done since the build that was meant to have cured the crash on exit problem, I have not once experienced this crash.

Just thought this was worth reporting! :D

Edited - drat, spoke too soon. Just turned the sphere on Ahnonay using two accounts on two laptops. My Win10 laptop with the lead avvie had the crash, post-exit. All this avvie did was meet at the Ferry Terminal, share its Relto book, go to the maintenance area and then did all that was necessary to open the door, then quit. Didn't travel on the vogondola.

UruLive.Live.1.918 - Minkata.190 - External.Release
Exception type: Access violation
Call stack (14 levels):
0x751B6359
0x0125C189
0x0122C3FE
0x0122F82E
0x012312C1
0x0123037B
0x010D9C32
0x00FE8950
0x01103971
0x01103510
0x010D7936
0x0122BACE
0x0122A4C3
0x010D7A93

And the error message was so persistent, I had to use Task Manager to get rid of it.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

Stack dump on exit after collecting all the green markers, returning to relto, and quitting by closing the game window.

Code: Select all

UruLive.Live.1.918 - Minkata.190 - External.Release
Exception type: Access violation
Call stack (14 levels):
 0x754D6359
  0x0034C189
   0x0031C3FE
    0x0031F82E
     0x003212C1
      0x0032037B
       0x001C9C32
        0x000D8950
         0x001F3971
          0x001F3510
           0x001C7936
            0x0031BACE
             0x0031A4C3
              0x001C7A93
PM'd dump file on discord
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

@Briggs, I created a new avvie and have been collecting the Ki markers, exiting every so often, and so far have had no crashes, not even when I had collected all the green markers. But I didn't get a notification that a link had been added (ie to the GZ) - don't know if this is important.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

Treehugger wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:35 pm But I didn't get a notification that a link had been added (ie to the GZ) - don't know if this is important.
This happened to me as well. Additionally, the red marker in descent was not visible at all. It's been a minute since I've done it on MOULa, so I don't remember if this bug is there, too.
HenryMikel

Post by HenryMikel »

Briggs wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:52 pm Additionally, the red marker in descent was not visible at all. It's been a minute since I've done it on MOULa, so I don't remember if this bug is there, too.
The red/green Marker in Descent has been shy since the Sparklie was installed there. The marker somehow inhabits two spaces: 1) Descent 2) The Pellet Tester platform. If you collect one of those two the other vanishes. So if you went to the Er'canna Pellet Tower and collected THAT marker you can NOT collect the Descent one or vice versa. It's the same as on the official MOULa game.

Edited 7/11 Restarted with new Avatar and I can confirm that the Descent marker is still present on your Ki and visible to the eye.
Last edited by HenryMikel on Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Following up on some of the conversation in Discord earlier this week (maybe this should be split into its own topic for easier flow on reading?).

The core problem summary from my perspective is this:
There are almost 10 years worth of performance improvements, bug fixes, code cleanups, and maintenance to this project by a team that has over 15 years expertise in this engine, working on GitHub in open-source fashion with pull requests and code reviews, and all of that work is not able to make its way to MOULa users because Rarified is the only person able to review and approve changes to the OpenUru codebase.
This is not a fair request to make of Rarified's spare time, nor is it feasible for the scope of the changes on H-uru/Plasma.

"Help wanted" is said on occasion, and yet every time we ask how we can help there are no concrete answers.
Concerns about Cyan's requirements are frequently cited as a reason for the way OpenUru works, but when asked for details, nobody has been able to produce a list of those requirements so that H'uru could work within them.
We're asked to take this discussion to the forum, where topics about contributions are frequently ignored for years on end: Ex 1, Ex 2, Ex 3, Ex 4

Recently, there was some work to update the OpenUru project files from VC2003 to VC2010. This upgrading effort could have been avoided by adopting the CMake build system that was added to H-uru/Plasma in April 2011 which can automatically generate Visual Studio projects for a variety of versions (including cross-platform Makefiles for eventual Linux and macOS ports). It feels like there's a willful stubbornness to refuse to adopt any work that the H'uru team has done, except in extremely small pieces at an agonizingly slow pace.

The current process seems to be that Rarified has to read through 9 years worth of changes and 2500+ commits to decide if they are safe, and then cherry-pick them over to the OpenUru project. Again, this is not a fair request to make of Rarified's spare time, nor is it even feasible.

How did we end up in a situation where Rarified is expected to review and approve every change? How do we establish a process (such as pull request reviews that are already being used on GitHub) so that Rarified is not the single gatekeeper?

However, even addressing that issue for future contributions doesn't resolve the fact that there is 9 years of work and several major code restructurings and build system/library updates on H-uru/Plasma that should form the basis for future MOULa clients.

The problem with using tools like FishEye to track changes to H-uru/Plasma is that they can only notice changes after all the discussion has taken place and the code has been merged. It doesn't provide an opportunity for anyone from OpenUru to participate in those discussions.

H'uru is using GitHub, which offers us git code hosting, issue tracking, pull requests (code review and discussions), wiki documentation, and automated builds in the same place. We have a Continuous Integration system set up, whereby AppVeyor builds the entire codebase every time a change is merged (we're investigating moving to GitHub Actions, but there are some technical issues with building the Max plugin due to non-open-source libraries). We also have a repo that builds a package of all the required development libraries.

The current OpenUru clients for Minkata and MOULa are built with Rarified's self-hosted Jenkins system. This makes sense when you need to build using toolchains that aren't available on hosted CI tools (like VC2003 and VC2010 and Solaris), but it also means a lot of manual work to set up new build agents that would be compatible with the current state of the H'uru/Plasma repository. At minimum, it would need an agent running VC2017, and a copy of all the required libraries. If the intention is to make H-uru/Plasma builds through Jenkins, there are a few ways we can try to make the library management easier using tools like vcpkg. Once we have our clients building on GitHub Actions, I'd be happy to help get them building on Jenkins.

One concern that gets raised is the worry that malware might be merged into the codebase and get deployed to MOULa. I personally find this laughable for several reasons:
1. We have multiple sets of eyes on the pull requests, that could catch something like that.
2. We make our builds for Gehn Shard directly from GitHub, and hope to move that to a publicly visible GitHub Action pipeline soon.
3. We have a incredibly long multi-step process before anything ends up on MOULa: Gehn Shard -> Minkata Alpha -> Minkata Prime -> MOULa Staging -> MOULa

Now the important bit: While this is being discussed and Rarified is figuring out how to play catch-up on a decade of changes, we have 2 major changes that are in progress:
  • Updating from Python 2.7 to Python 3.8: https://github.com/H-uru/Plasma/pull/650
    Python 2.7 was released in 2008 and is now past its end-of-life. Python 3.8 is the latest version of Python, but there are some language incompatibilities between 2.x and 3.x. The benefits of moving to Python 3 are security from a supported library, much much better built-in Unicode handling, easier compatibility for Linux and macOS, and a much nicer scripting environment for Age builders to work with. This work has already been tested on a private shard by some enthusiastic fan testers, and we are looking to merge it fairly soon.
  • Updating PhysX to 4.1: No pull request yet, but work-in-progress
    The closed-source PhysX 2.6.x version that Uru currently uses is no longer easily available for download, is 32-bit only, and only available for Windows. PhysX 4.1 is open-source, cross-platform, and should provide a better supported and more mature physics system.
This is your opportunity to weigh in on these changes and raise concerns so that they can be assessed before merging.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Maybe I can add some historical context for those who haven’t been following for ten years.

While today, Cyan’s requirements may be nebulous or nonexistent, at the beginning there was one concrete requirement that was at the root of the split into two forks, a relatively stagnant one (OU) and one dashing ahead (H-uru): compatibility with Cyan’s antiquated build environment.

The idea was that while the source code was to be maintained by the community, the client for MOULa would still be built by Cyan from that source code. That required staying compatible with Cyan’s build environment, where development tools were in use that were outdated at the time already, and where the open-source code was combined with still closed-source parts to built not just the public client, but also the server, Max plugin, CCR client, and a bunch of other tools. As far as I recall, this compatibility was broken pretty soon in the H-uru fork, because it made it difficult to work on the code with contemporary tools. So those of us who wanted to work specifically on the MOULa client had no choice but to maintain our own fork that focused on not breaking stuff regarding old development tools, and couldn’t keep up with the advancements made by the larger community in the H-uru fork without concern for compatibility with MOULa.

At some point, that requirement fell away, and MOULa clients are now also built by the open-source community (so far, as it happens, by rarified on the OpenUru Foundry Jenkins). Yet somehow we still haven’t managed to ditch the OU fork and switch the MOULa client over to a H-uru-based one. There remained some smaller obstacles and open questions, some of which I believe have been addressed in the meantime, others have fallen away due to outside developments, but I don’t know what the exact current status is.

For some time, I was a second maintainer of the OpenUru fork, besides rarified. Over the last couple of years, I drifted away from it as other interests took up my time, Uru is no longer my main hobby. I don’t recall any obstacles to getting into that role though – I didn’t ask how I could help, I just did it, because I had an itch to scratch, and pushed my contributions as far as I had to.

(And thanks for taking this out of Discord into the forum, from one who hasn’t followed Discord for a while (at some point I didn’t have time, and then the more I fall behind, the less inclined I am to spend the effort to catch up). And yes, it belongs into a separate thread.)
hhhenry

Post by hhhenry »

Getting a delay linking through the gates to D/ni Ruenna Bahro caves. This was not happening a day or so ago. Built new avatar today.
The link sound happens, there is a flicker, then black and silent for 30 seconds.
hhhenry

Post by hhhenry »

More weirdness. Just after posting my last message, I went back to my test avatar and Relto looked good, too good. I had only completed Yeesha's journey but Relto showed completion of path of the shell, a pretty full bookshelf. My main avatar had recently completed Minkata and that didn't show nor anything that needed a partner (so not actual completion of POC, just Annoy and Er'canna).
I'm gonna stop for while until things settle down
Main avatar hhhery
Todays test HHtestJul2
hhhenry

Post by hhhenry »

And still stranger - I logged onto the main Cyan online shard and there was my test avatar from the Minkata shard complete with picture. And this version had the correct relto - just as it was after Yeeshas journey with no extras.
So, my test avatar from Minkata is now on the Cyan online shard.
It looks like a version of my main Minkata avatar from 3-4 days ago is now on Minkata as the HHTestJul2 avatar
My main avatar on Minkata - hhhenry - is right there with everything its suppose to have
My main avatar on the Cyan online shard is right there with everything its suppos to have

Several months ago, my hhhenry avatar on Minkata was set way back to an earlier version. That was not investigated at the time.
Right now, I can't get on the Ghen shard and Deepisland is not doing anything strange.

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”