Minkata Update Build #209 2020.08.13

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

rarified

Minkata Update Build #209 2020.08.13

Post by rarified »

Shorah Early Access and Test visitors.

Minkata has been updated to build #209.

Mostly behind the scenes (pun intended) bug fixes and enhancements. This time I'm not going to say much more, other than play normally, explore nooks and crannies, and report any issues with build 209 here.

I expect this is the last revision before sending the update(s) to Cyan.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
dgelessus

Re: Minkata Update Build #209 2020.08.13

Post by dgelessus »

Unfortunately I'm still having problems with getting stuck on stairs, at least in my Ubuntu Wine setup on my older laptop. I'll need to test on my other setups/machines again, but I assume that it will still only happen under Wine and not under Windows 10. (For me at least - for one of the previous builds, Minasunda on Discord reported that she had stair issues on Windows 10 too.)

The launcher for non-alpha downloaded the webm videos into the root of the Minkata installation directory, not into the avi subdirectory (where the old Bink videos are and where the -alpha launcher downloads the webm videos).

When I linked to Veelay Tsavahn (on -alpha, as Chiso Preniv not accessible on non-alpha right now), the game downloaded the file sfx/psnlVeeTsahMusic.ogg during linking, which wasn't downloaded by the launcher (even though it did update other files). Interestingly, the file also isn't downloaded when linking to Relto, even though that's where the file is actually used.

Other than that, the cannen in Veelay Tsavahn is working fine though - the music gets added to the Relto cannen as expected.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Ok, stairs not addressed further with this update. We'll have to find a solution later.

The location of the webm files has been fixed, although there is no way to get the client to clean up downloaded files.

I'll adjust which manifests load the audio so it is available immediately on game start.

Thanks for the report!

_R
catherwood

Post by catherwood »

I had troubles getting the updates to fully load.

First time *might* have been my internet, but i got an error about a file -- and I lost the message before I could find out more. (It wasn't the old .dll message, this was a failure to complete or something, and the display was formatted differently). This was after a long five minutes or so of downloads -- I had previously been on build .198 so i had some patching to catch up on.

Second attempt completed the load, and I saw nothing new between start-up and landing in my Relto.

Third launch still had more to download, around 30 seconds of wait time. Still nothing new to see? I got to the sign-in screen and selected the option to create a new avatar, but quit before doing so.

Fourth launch did not need more than a few seconds to do its check for updates, so now i have all of the latest. And *now* i get the new opening.

[if going to the new avatar selection is a trigger, can I delete or revert some files to test this theory? Otherwise, most active players won't ever go there]

And now I can comment that whatever the new audio is supposed to sound like -- maybe crickets -- it comes out as an irritating trill like a broken toy whistle to my ears, like maybe it is playing sped up.

I'll go back to the Discord history and see what others were hinting about. I wouldn't call this an Easter Egg, so maybe I still haven't found it? Or there is more to be done with it?
00292608 on MOULa now 00310046
00018203 on Minkata
00040424 on Gehn
rarified

Post by rarified »

Go to the AVI folder where you installed Minkata, then run the launcher again. The sound should be exactly as it has been back in the past.

It is possible you started updating when I found some things on the server that had to be rearranged, and may have ended up with corrupted media files.

Although you can delete an avatar and create a new one to see the third video, you also can bring up the settings menu (wrench icon at the bottom) and there is a button to “play Uru intro” that will do the same.

Sorry it gave you trouble on your first experience. It should have been enjoyable.

If the audio still gives you trouble, come back here and let me know, and we’ll diagnose it further. That’s what Minkata is for ;)

_R
catherwood

Post by catherwood »

rarified wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:14 am Go to the AVI folder where you installed Minkata, then run the launcher again. The sound should be exactly as it has been back in the past.
run the launcher from the AVI folder? i didn't understand that, so i just relaunched the game normally and got the same results. My audio issue is with the new disclaimer clip, not the old logo clip.

my Mikata AVI folder does have 3 more files than my MOULa AVI folder, and I have no other installations of URU to compare with how these may have sounded in the past. Two of the 3 new .webm files play as stand-alone with normal sound; the one with the candle has zero audio when i play it stand-alone, but in-game it generates this chirping trill which is the problem.

I can look up my computer specs if that helps. Offhand I have nvidia graphics and i assume my audio is just whatever is onboard the motherboard, but i can dig up drivers if you need it. I don't know how to make a recording of what i'm hearing.
00018203 on Minkata
00040424 on Gehn
Doobes

Post by Doobes »

rarified, how is the video exported as far as sound? Was it with an audio channel that had nothing but silence or no audio at all? If it's the latter, maybe inserting an audio channel that's completely silent may fix things? And if it's the former, maybe try deleting the audio entirely? Just thinking out loud here. :D
KI Numbers: Doobes - 6302
rarified

Post by rarified »

catherwood wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:02 am
rarified wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:14 am Go to the AVI folder where you installed Minkata, then run the launcher again. The sound should be exactly as it has been back in the past.
run the launcher from the AVI folder? i didn't understand that, so i just relaunched the game normally and got the same results. My audio issue is with the new disclaimer clip, not the old logo clip. (...)
Someone needs to take away my keys for posting after I get tired. I would have been unable to understand my instruction, given that I missed a crucial part of the sentence.

I meant to say Go to the AVI folder where you installed Minkata, remove all the files you find there, and then run the launcher as you normally would. The goal was to get the launcher to download all the media files again to your AVI folder.
(...) Two of the 3 new .webm files play as stand-alone with normal sound; the one with the candle has zero audio when i play it stand-alone, but in-game it generates this chirping trill which is the problem.(...)
The one with the candle is supposed to be silent, although it does have a "silent" audio track accompanying the video track. That is what has me puzzled.

Try the "remove-rerun" sequence I suggested above and let me know if it still happens. At this point the most interesting thing about your system would be which version of Windows you are using.

_R
catherwood

Post by catherwood »

deleted all 5 files in my AVI folder, the launcher gives me the 3 new files.
(realizing now that Intro1 and URULiveIntro used to be .bik format and are now .webm files, so the old ones do not reappear)
Sorry, but the "silent" passage is still noisy for me, same issue, and only when played within the game, not stand-alone.

I am on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system.
The audio driver just says Microsoft internal "High Definition" device.
(i was unfamiliar w/ .webm format but the OS comes with a player for it)

Layman's question: is there a reason to use the new audio format?

p.s. -- must the Yeesha video volume BE SO HELLA LOUD ?!?!
(was it always thus, or is that another artifact of the format conversion?)
00018203 on Minkata
00040424 on Gehn
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce either of these audio issues locally.

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”