Minkata Update Build #209 2020.08.13

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

rarified

Re: Minkata Update Build #209 2020.08.13

Post by rarified »

catherwood wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:35 pm(...) Sorry, but the "silent" passage is still noisy for me, same issue, and only when played within the game, not stand-alone.
Thank you for that observation. It's going to be challenging to reproduce; you are the only one so far to report this issue.
Layman's question: is there a reason to use the new audio format?
Yes. When the client became open source, the code for handling videos had to be removed because they were proprietary and could not be used by open source projects. Until the client was re-written to use a different format, we had to do without videos.
p.s. -- must the Yeesha video volume BE SO HELLA LOUD ?!?!
(was it always thus, or is that another artifact of the format conversion?)
Yes, that has been noted already. It was an artifact of the re-scaling the video to a larger size, and put it in the new format. The software that I used altered the sound level without my requesting it.

It's been suggested to take the original audio track, and splice it together with the bigger video. I haven't taken the time to do that yet.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
hhhenry

Post by hhhenry »

Everything went fine until I got to the Watchers Pub. The alcove with the two new linking books isn't there. (And the guild tshirt gives you a link to the old Messengers pub)
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

This is all as intended. You are now seeing the content as it will appear initially on MOULa.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Notice the curtain is a little bit different in one alcove than the others.
Perfect speed is being there.
catherwood

Post by catherwood »

further comments about my audio issues...
So i've noticed with some games i play on Steam, i do get a similar squeel in the audio channel when a screen has a lot of white it in. I've never found an adjustment to fix that, so i've learned to ignore it. Uru doesn't have many white spaces to make for a good comparision, but I never had any sound issues until this new file format. With the silence in the candle video it is most noticeable, but I also do detect a bit of this background squeel/chatter with the Cyan Logo video as well, but the music covers it up.
00292608 on MOULa now 00310046
00018203 on Minkata
00040424 on Gehn
rarified

Post by rarified »

I have updated all the Minkata shards with a new version of Marten’s and my memorial video, as well as reordered the playback sequence so the memorial comes first, before the “game as a complete entity.”

I also encoded the memorial video with a different tool. Catherwood, could you check and see if you still get the squeal on the memorial video?

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
HenryMikel

Post by HenryMikel »

Checked out both Minkatas and the newer Memorial video plays perfectly with no sound until the CYAN logo flourish is heard.
Before this update it would also play with the original "Yeesha intro speech to new players (alone or together...) video Now just the Memorial and the original CYAN flourish play.
I created a new avatar and Yeesha's intro is back where it belongs. The sound seems a bit cleaner now and it only played once. Subsequent log ins did not restart it, but it does play again on demand when you click on the "Play Intro" button on the Wrench pop up.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

I just compared Doobes’ version of the Watcher’s Pub on Minkata 210 to Cyan’s version on MOULa and found some differences in the collision around the staircase railings that I consider regressions. It’s too late to change anything for the coming update, but maybe for future ones.
  • In Doobes’ version, the collision walls above the railings (not just on the staircase, but all around the balcony) block the 3rd-person camera, needlessly pushing it closer to the avatar, as if you were in a narrow corridor. In Cyan’s version, the camera can freely swing over the railing.
  • When standing on the railing at the upper T-junction, looking down on the imager: In Cyan’s version, you stand on the railing as expected. In Doobes’ version, you float half a meter above it in the air.
charura

Post by charura »

Maybe just have a memorial intro for everyone lost? Just me three centy
HenryMikel

Post by HenryMikel »

Christian Walther wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:34 pm I just compared Doobes’ version of the Watcher’s Pub on Minkata 210 to Cyan’s version on MOULa and found some differences in the collision around the staircase railings that I consider regressions. It’s too late to change anything for the coming update, but maybe for future ones.
  • In Doobes’ version, the collision walls above the railings (not just on the staircase, but all around the balcony) block the 3rd-person camera, needlessly pushing it closer to the avatar, as if you were in a narrow corridor. In Cyan’s version, the camera can freely swing over the railing.
  • When standing on the railing at the upper T-junction, looking down on the imager: In Cyan’s version, you stand on the railing as expected. In Doobes’ version, you float half a meter above it in the air.
It's been that way since at least Minkata and Minkata-alpha Update Build #176 2020.05.19 Sat May 23, 2020 7:19 pm so it's obviously not urgent.
Personally I prefer it this way but will go along with whatever Doobes and CYAN want.

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”