Minkata test shard -- discussions and questions

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

manloc

Re: Minkata test shard -- discussions and questions

Post by manloc »

OK;
Downloaded, installed, launched, updated and a little played ! :)
It's 1 o'clock am for me, so I'm going to sleep. :P
See you... ;)
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

I played last night and again this morning for a couple of hours without any problems at all.
Now, I can't get past Initializing patcher... Is it offline? Or, is it a personal issue again?
rarified

Post by rarified »

As far as I can see it is up. Want to jump on chat http://rel.to/ou_irc?
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

rarified wrote:As far as I can see it is up. Want to jump on chat http://rel.to/ou_irc?
Not the answer I was hoping for. :(
Okay, I'm in the chatroom, now.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I've split a couple of discussions from here out into their own threads, since they warrant greater visibility:
Program can't start because d3dx9_27.dll is missing
Error: File not found on server
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
janaba

Post by janaba »

It seems this is the thread for general discussions, so, I'll post my experiences here ... :P

Today I spent several hours on the Minkata Shard again and explored everything very extensively ...
I finished Teledahn and Kadish and I did everything that can be done in Jalak ... I visited all Pod ages,
activated the power and all the sounds ... I ran through all the DRC hoods to find the Relto page, for a
special something at the Ferry Terminal I've also looked around everywhere, also in different hood cities ...

I'm glad I found everything I was looking for, I have my fireflies with me and my butterflies back lol ...
You see, I did a lot and roamed the cavern, explored everything in 3rd and first person AND I've had
my chatlog ready as advised by Tai'lahr in her Testers Guide lol, BUT I didn't encounter and experience
any problem at all ... not anything ... nothing ... lol ... :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm very sorry, everything worked smoothly and fluently like a charm ... :D

Edit: I just thought I'd add my computer specs for your statistics, so that my information would
be more useful for you all
Spoiler
... besides that I'm an absolutely 'normal explorer', that means, that I don't know any special
paths or dimensions etc. like Anabelle and the Skydivers etc.... :P
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I've taken a look too and Phil's DRC vest is still absent. On a quick run round the public city, the bahro stones in the tunnel by the Ferry Terminal and behind the Library were both absent, but the one at the end of Takotah Alley was there. So far, I've only ever seen the Ferry Terminal one in the hood instance.
Mac_Fife
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Hi guys!

I'm back after a long non-presence ;)

My main issue is that the bugs I'm chasing after are physics related bugs which aren't the cup of tea of many explorers.

I would say that mostly issues are (because I retested them after my long break) the combo jumps. So it has to do with the way 1 avatar jiggles between 2 collision walls on a sharp corner made by them to make its way up to the summit of the lowest collision wall.

That might be somewhat a strange sentence but this is what combo is all about. There's no mystery. I was wondering if I could use an internal client to have a better insight at the physical aspects of the ages. I'm just wondering if the physicals have been modified, the "jiggle effect on a sharp corner" (aka combo jumping) will be automatically modified as well, and the equation that I've explained on MOULa forum : human & machine will put more pressure on the human to perform the combos. And this is what I'm experiencing. I'm exhausted climbing up a "combo elevator" on Minkata because the machine in the equation doesn't help me much, I have to speed up to a point that for some corners I just say to myself: "Ahhh forget it!!! I won't make it".

The avatar is just not "grabbed" by the corner made by the collision walls so it falls back like a rock to the ground. And I'm testing combo jumping with the same PC I use in MOULa to do them.

It could be the physX version used, I dunno. One thing for sure, I play on TOC MOUL and I don't feel as much difference in between MOULa - TOC MOUL as I feel it in Minkata vs MOULa. You might maybe not use the same physX version as them and your whole shard is based on another server structure (MOSS vs Sandbox) so I can't conclude that physX version might be the main reason behind the issue I see.

Marker games:

I also noticed playing marker games that there is a delay sometimes between the visual grab and the real grab. I tested it in the GZ on normal grounds. I laid 26 markers throughout the courtyard. On every occasions, I can go through in between 4 or 5 markers before the game starts.

I run through those markers as if they weren't grabbable and all of the sudden, I get them instantly in my KI at some point and heard as much noise as markers register in my KI then all goes smoothly, I grab them as I'm in their vincinity and hear one marker grabbed noise at the time.
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I'm inclined to suspect that a lot of the things Annabelle is seeing are due to the debug logging which does slow things down quite a bit. In particular, I've also noticed a significant delay between hitting a marker and having it acknowleged on the Ki; that's an event that gets logged by the client, so each time you hit a marker it causes an entry to be written to the log on disk, which takes time. MOULa does not do this logging, but then it's not a test shard ;). There's also a lot of logging turned on at the server end, but I'm less certain of what effect that might be having.

I don't believe that the PhysX version is a factor as Minkata uses the same version of PhysX as MOULa. That's not to say that that there are no issues with PhysX (there are probably many) but it's not the reason for differences to MOULa.
Mac_Fife
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

I'm not sure to understand well...I don't use debug logging at all. I'm asking the admin if I could use an internal client to look at the physicals to see if there is an issue there. Or maybe I just don't know what is a debug logging afterall ;). For now, I'm only logging in thru the normal alpha user client provided with the patch downloaded here.
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”