Minkata Shard Updates

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Ehren

Re: Minkata Shard Updates

Post by Ehren »

D'Lanor wrote:
janaba wrote:Then I saw that the Nexus book next to the KI machine in Gahreesen can be shared ... The other Nexus books in the ages are not to be shared btw ...
This is wrong but it doesn't hurt. The Nexus has its link hardcoded so the sharing will be ignored anyway.
It DOES hurt in a way. If you share that Nexus book with someone, they become stuck to the book, unable to link anywhere or move.

Also, for some reason regular Gahreesen instances have that sharable Nexus book, but not the Neighborhood Gahreesen instances.
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Ehren wrote:It DOES hurt in a way. If you share that Nexus book with someone, they become stuck to the book, unable to link anywhere or move.
Hmm, perhaps this book is also missing the share seek behavior then. It seems there are more broken share symbols than I thought.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

janaba wrote:Edit: I've tested them all already, Christian ... The Er'cana Bahro stone at the pellet dispenser
to the upper Bahro Cave has a share symbol and worked fine by clicking it and releasing it again
btw ...
But you didn’t actually share the link, right? The broken behavior of that stone only becomes apparent when someone actually uses the shared link.
D'Lanor wrote:As I already said, the "hood" shares work as expected and should stay.
Yes, you’re right. It was too late at night to realize that I guess :). I’ve edited my post.
D'Lanor wrote:Actually, could you first check what exactly happens when the share symbols are used? I expect that if the age owner shares you'll probably end up in the correct age together just the same. But what happens when a visitor does the sharing?
Good point, I’ve only tried sharing by the age owner on that particular stone. I’ll try the other way. Although, going anywhere else than the Bahro cave instance belonging to the current Er’cana instance would be somewhat pointless, so I don’t think that would be an argument against removing the share symbol.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Is it worth trying to hold a group test similar to last week's to check out these various factors?

I should be able to be around in a few hours' time -- so European evening time. Anyone else?
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I might be able to get on around 6:30/7:00 PM BST (7:30/8:00 CET), but I can't guarantee it :? I'll try, but domestic matters may take precedence ;)
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
janaba

Post by janaba »

Sounds great! Count me in ... I'll be monitoring this topic for a definite gathering and time ... :D
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Christian Walther wrote:
D'Lanor wrote:Actually, could you first check what exactly happens when the share symbols are used? I expect that if the age owner shares you'll probably end up in the correct age together just the same. But what happens when a visitor does the sharing?
Good point, I’ve only tried sharing by the age owner on that particular stone. I’ll try the other way. Although, going anywhere else than the Bahro cave instance belonging to the current Er’cana instance would be somewhat pointless, so I don’t think that would be an argument against removing the share symbol.
The Er'cana stone is also missing share book seek behavior. So we can declare this share symbol officially broken. The Ahnonay stone is fine but I agree that linking to a visitor's pellet cave makes little sense. So off these symbols go!
Edit: I have updated the pull request on Bitbucket.

The Gahreesen Nexus book however does have share book seek behavior. So it should have worked. It looks like a shared Nexus was being planned in the early stages of MOUL development.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Regarding the code update with "(self.IGetAgeFilename() == "PelletBahroCave")" is there no way to generalize this instead of the literal, possibly by detecting the missing seek? If that's more complex than a statement and the problem is known to be this limited, I agree the literal is better because it could be a long while before the problem is fixed in the content, or new content is issued that might also need the check.
Perfect speed is being there.
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

That is not going to work. The Ahnonay stone has share book seek and the Er'cana stone hasn't. So this is as generalized as it gets. ;)

A missing seek detection is a good idea which I did consider. This should be followed by a proper reset of both the sharer and the sharee. This would take me longer to debug though and it wouldn't have been ready by Tuesday next week.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

I've just sent Syringa to Tokotah Alley in case anyone else can turn up....she's there now!

(Treehugger in Minkata)

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”