Minkata Shard Updates

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

D'Lanor

Re: Minkata Shard Updates

Post by D'Lanor »

I do not agree with you that this fix is a hack. For these bahro stones there is nothing to fix in the max files.

1. Child ages should never be shared this way. By definition they are only sharable with neighbors. Period.
2. The pellet caves should not be shared by symbol. They have a different mechanism for sharing.

So this patch only hides what should never have been shared in the first place.

Now the books I am about to patch are a different story. Some can be fixed in the max files. But then you can always revert these changes once that is done.

Edit: And if you hadn't noticed, xLinkingBookGUIPopup is a big collection of special casing. ;)
Last edited by D'Lanor on Thu May 24, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Rarified and I have tentatively accepted the pull request into MOULSCRIPT-ou, and we’ll just let Chogon decide whether Cyan wants this in MOULa or not.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

D'Lanor wrote:Now the books I am about to patch are a different story. Some can be fixed in the max files. But then you can always revert these changes once that is done.
If it can be fixed in the max files, do not clutter up the repo with hack workarounds.
Christian Walther wrote:Rarified and I have tentatively accepted the pull request into MOULSCRIPT-ou, and we’ll just let Chogon decide whether Cyan wants this in MOULa or not.
This seems somewhat incompatible with the attitude shown here. I'm not of the opinion that rushing to get anything into the update is a good idea.
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

This is not rushed. In fact it was tested very thoroughly today.
Ehren

Post by Ehren »

D'Lanor wrote:1. Child ages should never be shared this way. By definition they are only sharable with neighbors. Period.
What about Eder Delin and Eder Tsogal? Aren't those child ages? But any non-neighbor can go to the same one.
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Ehren wrote:What about Eder Delin and Eder Tsogal? Aren't those child ages? But any non-neighbor can go to the same one.
No, they are sub ages.
Ehren

Post by Ehren »

I thought Child Age and Sub Age meant the same thing... It makes more sense now, since it didn't seem like the D'ni links were sub ages and that confused me since I thought that's what child age meant.
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

Ehren wrote:I thought Child Age and Sub Age meant the same thing...
Quite irritatingly they are two very different things with different rules, using essentially synonyms.

I can never keep them straight without looking it up in the wiki or the source.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

The update deadline has already passed--anything attempted to be added now is officially "rushed." Why even have a deadline if it's going to be thrown away in the end? :roll:

Nice job picking one word and responding to that and only that, by the way.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Hoikas wrote:I'm not of the opinion that rushing to get anything into the update is a good idea.
Generally, I'd be inclined to agree, and speaking personally I'd hope to we can get a schedule for future updates that allows us to plan for testing, final fix-ups and re-test prior to the pick-up date.

Chogon was asked about these updates and because they were fairly simple changes to MOULSCRIPT that could be either taken or not depending on the result of testing, he was prepared to be flexible in this particular case. C++ updates are a different kettle of fish: the formal build was (I understand) run earlier in the week so there's not the same opportunity for "late" changes.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”