LiveBahroCaves_District_POTScave.prp is Alway Delet[Solved]

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Trekluver

LiveBahroCaves_District_POTScave.prp is Alway Delet[Solved]

Post by Trekluver »

Hey guys,

So every time I do a client update the file LiveBahroCaves_District_POTScave.prp is deleted. I still can't get on the shard because of it. I have done everything my technical expertise knows to do. For the record, the file isn't corrupted until I get an error by the launcher. What can I do to fix this? (Yes, I've done what the wiki article says to do over and over again.) The launcher is currently running as administrator (I've tried it without this though) and I have tried normal compatibility mode and Windows XP SP3 mode. Thanks guys

Trekluver
Last edited by Mac_Fife on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark as Solved
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
rarified

Re: LiveBahroCaves_District_POTScave.prp is Always Deleted

Post by rarified »

I believe the current launcher design will truncate a file that is determined (by md5 checksum) to not match the server, before it requests the file from the server. Because we can't distribute the actual files on our server, the download request is denied. But by that time the original file has been truncated and lost.

Do you have a tool available to take an md5 checksum of the PRP file you are copying to the Minkata game area?
Our server's copy has this checksum: 5fabde05108fb9c644d1eff03360076f.

Also, if your copy has a different checksum or if you don't have a way to determine the checksum, try removing the TOS.txt file from your MOULa installation, run MOULa and let it verify all the files during the launch. Then after logging into MOULa, simply quit the game. Recopy the file from the MOULa game area (check the checksum to be sure if you can) and try launching Minkata.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

My MD5 checksum is: 787ebb30eeaad21040b6c330077ef414 This is the uncorrupted file used by my MOULa plclient installation.

[EDIT] The one in my MOULa installation has the same checksum as the one you had, but it still produces the same problem.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Something appears to be odd about your installation. I see in the server logs your game startup and download activity. Several times you've started with an empty directory and the launcher has downloaded all the executables, libraries, and miscellaneous files needed for gameplay. But other times that you've started the game, not only has the PRP file been requested, your launcher has asked to re-download all the Microsoft runtime libraries as well. It is as though some of the downloaded files are not being written properly to your folder.

Would it be possible to try installing Minkata to another folder in a different location on your hard drive (perhaps a folder on the drive root)? If so, could you try that, and if it doesn't work, make a note of the time you ran the launcher and let me know?

Thanks
_R
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Just a hunch right now, but relating Trek's experiences to Marten's initial setup trouble and the side note on ticket A5B-Q3W-7EQA I'm getting a sense that in some cases maybe the file check is failing erroneously and truncating a "good" file? If it happens to be a file that the server can deliver then it's no big deal, but if it's a file the server doesn't have (or is needed for the patcher to run) then we may get problems like this.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

What your seeing rarified is me trying to do the update by moving different files around. Giving the folder full permissions did zilch. But I think Mac has it on the money. My guess is it's server side or something with the client build because I've never had this happen before with MOSS builds. (i.e. The Open Cave) My installation is located in C://CWE Builds/Minkata and I don't think it should be a problem there. I've also tried updating from separate internet connections but that doesn't seam to be the problem. I will try doing it from a folder on the desktop and see what that does.
Marten

Post by Marten »

Strange behavior, Trek. Thanks for confirming that the reason Rarified saw some "odd" behavior in his logs is because you've been trying different things. :) I'm sure that'll put his mind at ease.

Could you try these steps?

1) Re-verify that the md5sum of the file in your MOULa folder is 5fabde05108fb9c644d1eff03360076f .
2) Re-copy this file from MOULa folder to your Minkata folder.
3) In the Minkata folder, again run md5sum. Verify that the file copied without being corrupted - checksum should be 5fabde05108fb9c644d1eff03360076f . If it changes just because of the folder you're in, that's a sign of trouble!
4) Launch your Minkata client again.

If the file corrupts once again when launching the CWE, proceed to these next steps:
5) Re-copy the file from MOULa to Minkata.
6) Right-click the file, choose Properties, and set it Read-only.
7) Launch your Minkata client again.

It probably should go without saying, but it might be worthwhile to run an anti-virus check on your PC if you don't already do this regularly, and run a disk integrity check. I'm not sure about your version of Windows, but under XP, to run a disk check I go to My Computer, right-click the disk, select Properties, pick the Tools tab, and click "Check Now" for Error-checking. I recommend checking options for automatic fixing/recovering. Please note that you may need to reboot your computer to perform this.
Last edited by Marten on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The music is reversible, but time is not.
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

Running UruLauncher from a dedicated folder on the desktop causes the launcher to crash and give this error:

Code: Select all

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	UruLauncher.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	4eed41d1
  Fault Module Name:	UruLauncher.exe
  Fault Module Version:	0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	4eed41d1
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00003609
  OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	1ec0
  Additional Information 2:	1ec0fd70d07d060e5bfcf53c69ad1739
  Additional Information 3:	3040
  Additional Information 4:	30403390ed20f1b32c61f314c386b874
I ran it both as and as not and administrator.
Marten

Post by Marten »

FYI, the Desktop is (from my experience) a poor place to create folders... for some versions of Windows, and in certain scenarios, programs don't work so well when installed there. Your original C:\CWE Builds\Minkata folder is a better place to install things. :)
The music is reversible, but time is not.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Event code 0xc0000005 is an access violation (dereferencing a pointer that points outside the program). It sounds like an environmental sensitivity to me.

Could you use the Event Viewer to search for any events in the logs (application and system) related to UruLauncher and UruExplorer?

Later tonight (US/Mountain) I probably can work via IRC if that might help.

_R

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”