LiveBahroCaves_District_POTScave.prp is Alway Delet[Solved]

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Trekluver

Re: LiveBahroCaves_District_POTScave.prp is Always Deleted

Post by Trekluver »

All of the .prp files starting with "LiveBahroCaves" and "BahroCave" seam to be problematic. After giving those files read only status, the launcher hangs with 58.0MB left to (supposedly) download.

There are no events for UruLauncher.exe in the event viewer.

Here's a suggestion, what if the Launcher was re-written to download any missing files from Cyan's MOULa server? That way we don't have this issue and URU clients can pull missing files without violation of Cyan's copyright on those files.
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Trekluver wrote:Here's a suggestion, what if the Launcher was re-written to download any missing files from Cyan's MOULa server? That way we don't have this issue and URU clients can pull missing files without violation of Cyan's copyright on those files.
Heh, rewrite for that feature? Not likely. We don't want to proxy anything because it increases the use of Cyan's bandwidth.

But hang on that thought. There might be something in the works to preclude all this. I'll get back to you.
Perfect speed is being there.
Marten

Post by Marten »

Ominous, JW!

Trek,

Well, it's going to hang because it is saying "I wanna delete and overwrite this file and it won't let me! Wah!" :D OK. So, go ahead and un-set the read-only flag on the file then.

Let's go back to rarified's suggestion...
rarified wrote: try removing the TOS.txt file from your MOULa installation, run MOULa and let it verify all the files during the launch. Then after logging into MOULa, simply quit the game. Recopy the file from the MOULa game area (check the checksum to be sure if you can) and try launching Minkata.
How re-copying ALL of the files from the MOULa dat folder over to your Minkata folder again, after doing the "tos delete and launch" trick?

And that is the last idea in the arsenal here... I'm stumped.
The music is reversible, but time is not.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Trekluver wrote:Here's a suggestion, what if the Launcher was re-written to download any missing files from Cyan's MOULa server? That way we don't have this issue and URU clients can pull missing files without violation of Cyan's copyright on those files.
The other problem with this is that there is no cross-shard authentication between Minkata and MOULa. Your client has to go through an authentication (login) before it can request files, from either server. Logging into Minkata wouldn't get you credentials (and encryption keys) to log into or retrieve files from MOULa.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Trek, I can give you a pretty much definitive answer here. I went back and checked a previous, working MOULa installation for the particular file being discussed here and compared against my Minkata installation. I found that the Minkata file has the reference MD5 value that rarified posted while the old MOULa installation gave the MD5 that you posted. I also found four other files that differed between the two installations.

On the MOULa installation, I deleted the TOS.txt file and ran the launcher. After running through the checks it started a download of around 6MB or so. Once it was done I found all five of the files that didn't match had been replaced and the MD5 values now matched those in the Minkata client.

So, it is quite possible that a working MOULa installation may still have some out-of-date files. So in your case, you should also delete TOS.txt in your MOULa folder and re-run the launcher to get your files refreshed. Look in your dat folder afterwards and sort by date to find any files that have been replaced and move them over to your Minkata folder. That should sort you out.

It probably also means that for any new Minkata users, it may be wise to re-fresh their MOULa installation in the same way before copying the files over for Minkata. Just to be safe ;) .

Why didn't this problem happen on other shards? Don't know for sure, but likely they're simply ignoring the download manifests altogether. I guess that's not wrong, but it won't tell you when you've got a damaged or incomplete installation :? .

For reference, the files I found to be were problematic were:
  • LiveBahroCaves_District_Textures.prp
  • BahroCave_District_YeeshaCave.prp
  • LiveBahroCaves_District_PODcave.prp
  • LiveBahroCaves_District_MINKcave.prp
  • LiveBahroCaves_District_POTScave.prp
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Mac_Fife wrote: Why didn't this problem happen on other shards?
Actually it did. The TOS.txt workaround solved it there as well.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Thanks, D'Lanor - that's what I would have expected, but Trek said he hadn't had this problem with other MOSS shards.

I'm guessing that the issue arises if you missed picking up an update on MOULa at some point, and on subsequent updates the patcher doesn't bother to check files that aren't changed in the current update.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
branan

Post by branan »

If there are no changed files in ThinExternal, the patcher won't check External. In theory this is OK - whenever the game is updated, some of the core files have to be touched anyway. I suspect the issue would only occur if you canceled a patch after it had grabbed the ThinExternal files, but before it was done with the full patch. At that point ThinExternal will see no updates, and External will never be fetched. The fix that immediately comes to mind is to store a flag somewhere that a patch was cancelled so it knows it has to check External on next launch.

As for why you see a delete every launch - I bet Minkata is set up with ThinExternal == External, so it does actually check every file at login. It's slower, but for a testing shard probably better to make sure everyone is on the same page. Cyan's shard almost certainly has a ThinExternal that is actually thin, which is why you need to delete TOS.txt to force a patch - it's a file from ThinExternal.
rarified

Post by rarified »

No, ThinExternal is definitely a small subset of External on Minkata. I haven't yet determined why the ThinExternal check is always failing, but the server shows every client downloading ThinExternal first, then External (which as I understand it should only happen if something in ThinExternal doesn't match). It also may be I missed updating ThinExternal with one of the files I've built. I only have A'moaca's tool to update manifests one file at a time, rather than scan through the entire contents all at once.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
branan

Post by branan »

https://github.com/branan/moulbuild-scr ... ter/mfs.py is the script Hoikas and I have for creating manifest files. It's designed for our usage (ThinExternal and External are both thin, with per-age manifests), but it should be possible to bash it in to shape for your usage as well. It's way nicer than generating manifests per-file and merging them. I have no idea what MOSS's manifest format looks like, but in general the script is nicely abstracted, so you should be able to adjust as-needed to make it work with your server.

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”