Phil's Relto Problems

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

charura

Phil's Relto Problems

Post by charura »

janaba wrote:Today I spent several hours on the Minkata Shard again and explored everything very extensively ...
I finished Teledahn and Kadish and I did everything that can be done in Jalak ... I visited all Pod ages,
activated the power and all the sounds ... I ran through all the DRC hoods to find the Relto page, for a
special something at the Ferry Terminal I've also looked around everywhere, also in different hood cities ...

I'm glad I found everything I was looking for, I have my fireflies with me and my butterflies back lol ...
You see, I did a lot and roamed the cavern, explored everything in 3rd and first person AND I've had
my chatlog ready as advised by Tai'lahr in her Testers Guide lol, BUT I didn't encounter and experience
any problem at all ... not anything ... nothing ... lol ...
I too was impressed and had no issues with the game-play until....I was wondering about the DRC jacket in Phil's Relto? It was not available to me upon entering the hut on the bottom shelf....../me wonders if janaba grabbed it first...lol
Last edited by JWPlatt on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from "Minkata test shard -- discussions and questions"
rarified

Re: Minkata test shard -- discussions and questions

Post by rarified »

Since a number of people are seeing problems with Phil's Relto I went back to the logs and found what I believe is an error in the setup instructions. I've adjusted the configuration to match what I see the game requesting from the server.

Could you re-visit Phil's relto and see if the vest has appeared?

Thanks
_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Marten

Post by Marten »

No vest yet at 6AM GMT January 11. Sorry!
The music is reversible, but time is not.
janaba

Post by janaba »

I have seen the vest, but I didn't grab it yet as I didn't want to change my clothes again lol,
means, adjusting the color again to match the one I'd like to wear lol ... but anyway, when
I logged out I ended up with the batik shirt and the alternate Kadish helmet haha ... :mrgreen:

Will look into Phil's Relto later again, or wait, I can go and look immediately lol ... back in a minute ... :P

Back: It is not there ... I really thought I've seen it, but you see it is good to have more people to
look into all of that ... and it is 09:47 am GMT+1 ... :D
sut

Post by sut »

Missing for me!!!!! Ill bet bahro took it
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

I think I know where the vest is.

I blame Cyan for their goofed-up file. :P

Edit: Okay, my theory is wrong -- it's philRelto in the vault after all. New theory needed. Sorry.

[wrong technical explanation follows]
Spoiler
It sounds like the vest is simply not enabled. But I suspect it was intended to be. So it was not clear why the vest in particular would not be working.

When rarified mentioned the "error" in the setup instructions, I remembered that Phil's Relto is one of the ages where the case of the age file name (philRelto) does not match the case of the SDL file name (PhilRelto). MOSS is case-sensitive everywhere we did not explicitly make it otherwise. So those look different. That's why the setup instructions say to rename the SDL file on the server to philRelto.

Here's the thing -- inside that SDL file the age is named PhilRelto. So when creating the "global SDL node" that says "enable the vest", that one is named PhilRelto. When the age is started up, MOSS will look up the global SDL by the age file name. But there is no "philRelto", so the vest doesn't get enabled.

Really this is a bug with the filenames, but *sigh* probably MOSS should do something about it. Whether that's changing something in the server or the program that creates the global SDL, I'm not sure yet. In the interim, rarified can change the name in the vault to philRelto to test the theory and the vest should appear.
- a'moaca'
Marten

Post by Marten »

For comparison you could temporarily turn on the Calendar Spark for Phil's Relto. That way you could test "Are SDL variables for this age working?"

Also, this should not be a data issue because the shirt is definitely there and collect-able in MOULa. I just checked.
The music is reversible, but time is not.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

Marten wrote:Also, this should not be a data issue because the shirt is definitely there and collect-able in MOULa. I just checked.
This doesn't make sense, unless MOULa is suddenly running a server that is more case-sensitive than the one they used to be running. The files are inconsistent, and Cyan allows them to mismatch. We already have a number of ways MOSS has to work to handle these inconsistencies, and probably it needs another one somewhere. That makes it a data issue that MOULa already deals with and MOSS doesn't.

If it does end up having to do with case mismatch, I will still blame it on the files, because the files are what don't match!
rarified

Post by rarified »

I'll get some time to try some of the suggestions tonight. I'm still puzzled by the server logs that show file server requests asking for SDL/PhilRelto.sdl rather than SDL/philRelto.sdl. Also, global_sdl_manager is able to see two ages (I.e. both capitalizations), neither of which has any SDL variables visible *except* the vest enable Boolean setting (the SDL file defines at least three vars)

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

You see file server requests for PhilRelto because that's what's in the manifest. If you want to rename the file to philRelto on the file server, you need to change the name in the manifest file (.mbm file) as well!

The install instructions that discussed renaming/moving SDL files were just intended for the server's own copy, not what goes on the file server. I guess I could see a confusion there, though I'm pretty sure the renaming was under the "game" directory discussion.

If your manifest has PhilRelto and the file present is philRelto then the client won't have downloaded the file and the settings certainly won't work. On the other hand I would have expected the client to quit out with a "could not download file" error, but I never know when it's going to do that and when it's going to try to go on.

Only showing the contents of the global SDL that was set is relatively normal -- it's not a sign anything's broken in this case. For other ages where values that are not set are listed, it's because those fields are flagged as "VAULT" in the file. I assumed that meant Cyan thought this was something they'd want to set via the vault -- but they were not very consistent with these flags, especially in the later MOUL ages.

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”