Stress Test follow-up conference

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Mac_Fife

Stress Test follow-up conference

Post by Mac_Fife »

Thanks to everyone who took part in Saturday's Stress Test, whatever part you played :D .

Fun though it was, there was a serious purpose to it and we now know that there are a number of things we need to look into. So that we've got the best picture of what those issues are and what may be the causes behind them, we're planning to hold a one-hour Webex conference (i.e. voice chat and interactive online conference) on Saturday 25th Feb. at 3PM Ki time (MST), 10PM GMT, to do a "post-mortem" on the Stress Test.

I'll stress that this is very much intended to be a technical analysis of the issues, so is not for the casual observer: It's for those with working knowledge of the protocol, server, client or scripts who can directly contribute to what ends up in the JIRA issues. Since some of those we'd anticipate being able to contribute will no doubt also want to attend the Gehn Shard launch party which is on the same day, we've tried to go a couple of hours downstream to try to avoid too much of a conflict.

The number of places in the conference will be limited to about 7 or 8, so would anyone who thinks they'd like to take part please reply here, and I'll arrange for invitations to go out around mid-week. Participants will need mic/speakers or headset for the voice element. If oversubscribed, we'll just have to make a judgement call on who gets in - please don't be offended if you don't get selected this time round, as there will probably further opportunities in the future.

We'll post a more detailed agenda shortly.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Christian Walther

Re: Stress Test follow-up conference

Post by Christian Walther »

I am tentatively interested in participating, however I’m hardly among the 7 or 8 greatest experts on Plasma internals, so I’ll take a spot at the back of the queue.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I'm sure you're adequately qualified, Christian ;)

Here's an outline agenda - it's very much fluid though and we can just see where things take us:
  • Test process
    • Announced plan
    • Realized participants activity
    • Coping with bugs
    • Coping with server crashes
  • Todo
    • Catalog observed bugs
    • Catalog logged errors
    • Assign &l og bugs
    • Procedural changes
    • Operations environment changes
    • Other changes
  • Assess goals and outcome
In addition, we thought it'd be useful to get the direct observations/comments from testers to supplement the information that has been collected from the server logs. What we'll likely do is sit on OU Chat (http://rel.to/ou_irc) for 30 minutes or so prior to the conference to collect experiences.
Mac_Fife
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we've reluctantly decided to defer this conference for the time being. We'll try to get a new date set up that's not too far off (i.e. before everyone forgets what they experienced), but with the AGM due next Saturday finding a suitable date is looking awkward :?
Mac_Fife
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Thanks, I have a hell-week in the making, and making it to my own party is going to be a stretch :shock:
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

It's only been a week and my memory of the events is already becoming hazy. Perhaps it would be a good idea to let the testers know now what information you're hoping to get from us. I'd suggest starting a new thread with specific questions in the OP.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Assuming that doesn’t fall into Hoikas’ hell-week anymore, what about having it before the AGM? I’ll have to fit in dinner somewhere but that’s flexible. Or, provided that the AGM doesn’t take too long, after it, at the same time as planned for yesterday? Sunday would work for me too, but not that late.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Hell-week will be over on Thursday. If you have to schedule it during hell-week, don't sweat it too much. I got called away during the stress test and didn't get to participate much.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I'm trying to avoid weekdays as I know some people are going to have a tough time committing to that (at the same time I don't like impinging on anyone's weekend :? )

There's not an awful lot I can really contribute to the discussion, but I need to be around to "start" the Webex - after that I'll happily cede my active mic slot to someone else.

I could probably manage the hour before the AGM (12:00-1:00 PM MST) at a slight push. For me personally, it'd be preferable to waiting until after the AGM, as it doesn't really have a defined end time.
Mac_Fife
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

After a bit of juggling to try to fit in with RL schedules we now have a plan for two discussion sessions to pick over what happened during the Feb 18 stress test:

Public Session
This will be held on Friday 16th at 1:30PM MDT (7:30PM GMT, 8:30PM CET) in OU chat (http://rel.to/ou_irc) and anyone who took part in the stress test can drop in to talk about what they experienced. Notionally, this is an hour long session, but we'll play it by ear depending on how active the conversation is.

Please note that this is scheduled during rarified's working day, so it may be necessary to make last minute changes - check this thread for any updates.

"Developer" session
We will run a one-hour WebEx (online and voice) conference on Saturday 17th at 1:00PM MDT (7:00PM GMT, 8:00PM CET), to consider log data and feedback from the testers with the aim of refining bug descriptions, identifying fixes, etc., for the Minkata shard and MOSS/CWE in general. This will be by invitation: We'll shortly be sending out invites to those who have already expressed an interest, plus one or two others that we think might be able to provide valuable input. If you'd like to take part then please reply to this thread or send me a PM. Please note that places are limited for this session.
Mac_Fife

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”