Using USB flash drive to play game

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

sut

Using USB flash drive to play game

Post by sut »

Hi all, I have never seen a posting on this so I thought I would let everybody know its possible to use a USB flash drive to hold all of the files to play this game. Having many installs of Moul on my computer it was starting to take a toll on the available free HD space, so I figured I would try using a USB flash drive to to hold the files. The first try was with the Ghen Shard, I did it just like I would to install it on my computer but instead of using my C:/ drive I used my flash drive and all worked just fine. The game seems to have a little lag on linking and in game play but nothing that would cause you not to want to play it on the flash drive. The 2nd try was with Minkata Shard, and this time i just copied all the files from the existing folder I had setup already for this shard on to the flash drive and again all works fine. Now I am able to do combo jumps most of the time here but with using the flash drive I can do them better or more consistently. Just thought this might help someone free up some HD space, or take the game on the road.
janaba

Re: Using USB flash drive to play game

Post by janaba »

This is very interesting, sut, and definitely good to know though I have more than enough harddrive space, but as a backup
solution (I'm using an external HD for this atm) or as you've said as a MOUL pleasure for the pocket resp. on the road lol ... :D

As I'm having a flash drive lying around, which I'm not using atm, I am just about to copy the Minkata shard as I write lol ...
What I'm wondering about is where it will store resp. save the logs and configuration files etc... Maybe it will look for them
on my machine which I am using right now, but in case I'd take it 'on the road' so to speak wouldn't I have to tell the Uru exe
where to save/find them and ideally to do so on my usb flash drive instead on a friends computer? ...

However, thanks for the tip, sut ... :P

Edit: A N D it works haha ... I'm back from the Minkata shard where I roamed my neighborhood then Ae'gura and I looked
for the Sparklie in Phil's Relto (though I didn't expect to find it lol), somebody is always closing the windows in the hut lol ...
Yeah, great experience from my little 4 GB USB flash drive ... I had to enter my userdata again to log in but everything
else was customized like in my main installation, so it is getting the data from the documents folder ... :D
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

There's no reason why running the game from a USB Flash drive wouldn't work. The manifest checks (when the patcher runs) might take a little longer due to slower file access and, as sut observed, linking may be a little slower for the same reason while the age files are pulled in.

The configuration files (graphic and audio setting), KI pics, etc., will be stored in the same location as they are when the game is run from a hard disk (i.e. in your Documents or My Documents folder): That means that if your "guesting" on another PC using your USB stick, you will need to set the graphics and audio again on first use and there may be problems if you don't have write access to the Documents folder as a guest. You'll also lose any avatar selection screen pics.

Of course, if you're taking MOUL on the road with you like this, you could always copy the "Uru Live" or "Uru Live Minkata Shard" folders from your main PC onto the stick too, and then copy them out to the Documents folder on the PC you end up using, so you can pick up your own settings: However, 1) It's probably not a good idea to leave the "Remember me" box ticked on someone else's PC as it means others may be able to get straight into your game account, and 2) Keep the screen resolution in your "mobile copy" set to something moderate that you can reasonably expect to be supported on most PCs you might come across, else you may end up having to delete Init\graphics.ini to get started.

@Janaba: I'm surprised that you needed to enter your login details if all the other settings were picked up :? - That seems odd.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
sut

Post by sut »

I have not tried yet to do this mobile yet, but I didn't think it would be to much of a problem !I think I would also copy any Dll files offered on this web sight for fixes in getting the game to run (if you had trouble getting it to run on your comp you probably will on someone else comp). Thx Mac for your input and advice (He knows more than me ). Now on passwords and remember me (tick) Hum, I have to re put in my password and log in name a lot for some reason, it will not stay ! I have been trying to figure this out for ages! some times it will be weeks it will stay then all of a sudden its gone Grr
janaba

Post by janaba »

Mac_Fife wrote:Of course, if you're taking MOUL on the road with you like this, you could always copy the "Uru Live" or "Uru Live Minkata Shard"
folders from your main PC onto the stick too, and then copy them out to the Documents folder on the PC you end up using, so
you can pick up your own settings ...
@Janaba: I'm surprised that you needed to enter your login details if all the other settings were picked up :? - That seems odd.
That's what I thought as well, to just take that 'Uru Live' resp. 'Uru Live Minkata Shard' folder with me to have all my settings ready ...
As for myself, this is all very hypothetical, I'd most probably never take Uru/MOUL with me on the road lol, but I like trying things out
and just to know that I'm free for whatever I'd like to choose whenever lol ...

As of the (first) login I suppose my usb pen wasn't fast enough to find that information, with the next login, I just tried it again,
my username was preset as always and I just had to enter my password as always ... :D
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

sut wrote:Now on passwords and remember me (tick) Hum, I have to re put in my password and log in name a lot for some reason, it will not stay !
Same here. I can tick "remember password" as much as I like but it rarely works.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Remember password encrypts your login details with the volume serial of your C: drive. :roll:
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Getting off-topic here but it would be nice if that bug was squashed. I don't know if this helps but my computer which fails to remember the password has a solid state drive for C:

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”