Standing Jumps (split from Minkata Shard Updates)

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Hoikas

Re: Standing Jumps (split from Minkata Shard Updates)

Post by Hoikas »

Ehren wrote:The Relto dive is thought to have to do with the unlocked framerate? I wouldn't think it is. TOC had an unlocked framerate a long time ago, but only more recently did the Relto dive start to happen to me. And now it happens every time I go to Relto on TOC.
It definitely is, and it will be fixed on Gehn 7. Keep in mind that TOC got the unlimited framerate because I made that change for Gehn.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

I’m wondering if Skoader’s stepping fix will have any influence on this.

How about we just try lifting the limit on Minkata and see if people get the Relto dive or any other undesirable effects?

Seeing as half of Hoikas’ fix consists of restoring things to the state they still are in in CWE-ou (setGlobalPose), I could imagine they won’t.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

If you do see the relto dive appear, just set that z coordinate to -10,000 feet... Apparently the avatar controller is being spawned at the origin and stays there for a few steps :roll:
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Just by way of validation (not that it's even needed, more for my own curiosity) I just got around to testing the jumps on my laptop (Sempron 3500+, 1.8GHz) and the standing jump (as well as walk jump and run jump) all behave correctly.

Regarding the "Relto Dive", could that issue exacerbate the occasional problem of falling through the age when transitioning to/from a sub-world, like sometimes happens getting off the Teledahn elevator?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Mac_Fife wrote:Regarding the "Relto Dive", could that issue exacerbate the occasional problem of falling through the age when transitioning to/from a sub-world, like sometimes happens getting off the Teledahn elevator?
Could be, but in a reverse kind of way. The subworld transition failures are always related to latency. The Relto nose dive seems to happen because the increased frame rate somehow activates the avatar too soon.
Annabelle

The Kneeling Effect's Wheel of Prediction

Post by Annabelle »

I was online today on Minkata and I was doing some jumping here and there. (Unbelievable isn't it? :mrgreen: )

All of the sudden I realized that I could predict the next kneeling effect depending on where I was heading to. Since the last update on Minkata shard & already on Gehn & TOC MOUL shards, we can kneel down on landing. There's 2 behaviours:

1st) what a call a "small kneel": you just break with the right foot & kneel just a little bit

2nd) what a call a "complete kneel": you break with a big intensity, your upper body goes all the way to a nearly horizontal state before coming back

What you might not know is that it's linked with the direction where you are heading to. This can be done & prove in any age on any shard where the kneeling effect is enable. (For now, only MOULa has it disable)

Looking at the following picture, you'll see clearly that half of the circle is populated with single markers therefore it's less bright. The other half is populated with piled up markers making them looking more bright. The centre brightest spot is the start. I've done only run-jump from the same exact spot and the circle is where I landed. The brightest spots (piled up markers) represent the "complete kneel". The dimmest spots (single markers) represent the "small kneel".

BTW, My quest is called "Kneeling Effect Wheel". It's a shareable quest made on Minkata shard (Sunday, April 15th)
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
Christian Walther

Re: The Kneeling Effect's Wheel of Prediction

Post by Christian Walther »

Good find, Annabelle! 8-) I wondered if anyone would notice that by pure in-world experimentation.

The effect you’re seeing is already being discussed here: http://foundry.openuru.org/fisheye/cru/CWE-10#c139. I don’t know if anyone is currently working on a fix.

The expected behavior is that you should get the “complete kneel” when you land straight down or backward (e.g. after a standing jump), and the “small kneel” when you land forward (e.g. after a walking or running jump). Currently, the landing direction is mistakenly evaluated with respect to the age instead of with respect to the avatar.
janaba

Post by janaba »

Awesome, Annabelle ... The scientist is on the move again ... :D

As that sounded easy to replicate I've done that (run-jump from one spot in all directions)
in my Minkata Relto and it was fun to find and prove your experiences right ... In one direction
I've had your so called 'small kneel' with an additional kick of the right leg while landing and the
other 'complete kneel' without the mentioned nearly horizontal posture but more like the perfect
standing jump should look like when landing ... :P
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

oh I get it now!!! The 2 animations should happened but not on the same type of jump.

Thanks guys (Christian & Janaba) :)

Well I hope you'll find a fix because the "complete kneel" (it's a feeling) slow us down when we do repeat run-jumps (e.g. run-jumping thru the Library Hallway & the T-Junction Cave going toward the Palace in Ae'gura).

Since it's just an animation behaviour it doesn't change the grip on collision walls though.
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

I've been doing some standing jumps rotating on the spot, to check landing behaviours following the May update (it's great to have new stuff to play with :D ). I'm seeing a difference in landing depending on where I'm facing, but I'm not sure whether it's due to the processor speed issue that this thread started with, or the directional issue Annabelle found; and whether it should have been fixed by the new update.

On Relto, standing outside the hut, I get correct landing for about 90 degrees of the 360. On Ahnonay I get full landing for all 360 degrees. In Ae'gura I get the correct landing for 180 degrees-worth.

(Treehugger in Minkata)

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”