Quabs (split from Minkata Shard Updates)

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Treehugger

Re: Quabs (split from Minkata Shard Updates)

Post by Treehugger »

I've not yet looked at my log following the new update but Ahnonay still seems to be buggy, though I think it's an improvement - I didn't get the scary mutant double quabs :twisted: this time but I was still getting fearless and/or invisible quabs depending on which avvie left and which stayed. The most encouraging sign was that when I took both avvies out to Ahnonay cathedral and then back, both avvies could see and scare the quabs once again.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Just FYI: there were no changes since the previous update. Multiplayer mode is still borked and probably will remain so for a long time. Python has proved to be a dead end so there won't be any more updates. Not from me at least.

In a way it is a pity that H'uru intends to completely rewrite this when they implement the quabs on Gehn, instead of fixing the game manager. I think that decreases the chances of their solution ever making it to MOULa. But we'll just have to wait and see...
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

ah, Ok, thanks. Can you advise what we should be testing in relation to the Quabs? Not sure I understood that stuff about the key error.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Perhaps I should explain why my fix was included here at all. I originally wrote it just for the MOSS shard/H'uru client combination which has the fearless quabs bug even when you play alone. On Minkata the quabs do not become fearless when you play alone (only when we play together which actually is a whole different bug).
However, this problem still exists in the background and writes a load of error messages to the log files including, so I was told, the server log files.

Therefore I was asked to submit this fix to OU so that they would get rid of the log file spam which apparently had been a nuisance during the stress test.

So there isn't really much to test here. You could check your local log files if you know how. Formerly they would have shown many entries like this:

Code: Select all

(01/24 19:33:15) cPyQuabs - Traceback (most recent call last):
(01/24 19:33:15) File ".\python\ahnyQuabs.py", line 276, in OnUpdate
(01/24 19:33:15) varName = quabVarList[quabBrainList.index(brain)+1]
(01/24 19:33:15) KeyError: 4
This is an exception, a fatal error which (if I understood this correctly) also spams the server log files. Now I have caught this before it can cause an exception and in your local log file you'll see:

Code: Select all

(04/11 01:24:44) ahnyQuabs.OnUpdate(): quabVarList not ready! length = 3 but should be 20
And this way it should no longer bother the server.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

thanks, yeah, I did notice a huge number of lines in my log with that new message, and I didn't remember seeing it before. The number gradually increases towards the number it "should be". Thanks for the explanation.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Somewhat off-topic, but I have an almost complete fix for the quab crashes on my github forks... There's just the minor issue of quabcam to figure out before it's ready for more testing. That is probably the most amusing bug I have created or stumbled upon since the game was open sourced :lol:

The UnboundLocalError was obviously a stupid typo that got fixed really quickly.
Last edited by Hoikas on Sat May 12, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

If you look at the image putted on the link given by Adams, you will see the point of view of the quab stating: 'monster' seeing the huge lady starring at him.

Ok I might have a lot of imagination since it's a log line but anyway... it's good to see what a quab can see.
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”