crashes when finishing Gahreesen and Kadish

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Treehugger

crashes when finishing Gahreesen and Kadish

Post by Treehugger »

I've just finished Gahreesen and Kadish with my new avvie Syringa and crashed both times that I jumped into the void. For Kadish, when I entered the cave, I didn't hear Yeesha's speech. Neither time was there a stack dump. I got the columns and the wedges on my relto OK. I'd probably not have bothered posting if it had just been once but given it was twice, I thought I'd better report it.

Another thing I've noticed with Syringa but had not noticed before is that sometimes when I'm touching a journey cloth, pulling a lever etc, I get a black pattern at the foot of the screen that flashes on and off for a second or so. It's aligned with the Ki and the other icons at the foot of the page. Mainly horizontal bars with space between them, but some solid black rectangles too.

Nothing else significant to report from Syringa's testing.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
janaba

Re: crashes when finishing Gahreesen and Kadish

Post by janaba »

I just completed Teledahn, Gahreesen and Kadish with my new avi and everything worked
perfectly well, I even met Shroomie ... I heard the Yeesha speeches and it happened in the
very last minute when I jumped into the 'starry void' that I've got the 'UruExplorer.exe doesn't
work anymore ... Looking for a solution to the problem...' thingy ...

I suppose that I maybe jumped too early, though the pole had already been dispersed into those
sparks of light which were still flowing down ... I didn't have the feeling that this was a typical
bug related crash to worry about however ... :D
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

This is known to happen on MOULa, and no solution is evident because the developers cannot reproduce the issue. If you can reproduce this issue with some modicum of regularity, please do so on the Gehn Shard at some point. I rewrote our crash handling to be more robust so we could try to figure out what's going wrong in cases like these.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Ok, I'll send Syringa to Gehn and see if she can replicate this.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Did anyone else notice that there is always a double linking sound just before this crash happens? It could have something to do with bad panic link regions. That would be a bug within the prp file which only Cyan can fix at this point.
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

D'Lanor wrote:Did anyone else notice that there is always a double linking sound just before this crash happens? It could have something to do with bad panic link regions. That would be a bug within the prp file which only Cyan can fix at this point.
I think that's been the suspicion due to that sound, but AFAIK no one's narrowed it down for certain.
janaba

Post by janaba »

Yep, I also hear that double linking sound ... sometimes I wasn't already sure anymore if
that was new or if I never noticed it by now ... Great that you'd mention this, D'Lanor ... :D
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

I've heard the double linking sound just now when finishing the Eders in Gehn but I didn't crash. And I don't remember hearing the double sound when I crashed in Minkata. So I'm not convinced they're linked. I'll keep trying to crash in Gehn!

edit - heard the double linking sound again but no crashes. All 4 ages worked fine in Gehn. And Syringa enjoyed kicking the leaves.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

Thanks for trying. :)

Intermittent bugs are the worst. :evil:
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

D'Lanor wrote:It could have something to do with bad panic link regions. That would be a bug within the prp file which only Cyan can fix at this point.
Even then – should it be possible for a bad prp to crash the engine? It would seem a sensible goal to me that prps are to be regarded as “user input” from the point of view of the engine that must be validated and shouldn’t be able to crash the engine, no matter how malformed. No idea how hard that would be to achieve though, in general and in the particular case discussed here.

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”