crashes when finishing Gahreesen and Kadish

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

D'Lanor

Re: crashes when finishing Gahreesen and Kadish

Post by D'Lanor »

Christian Walther wrote:Even then – should it be possible for a bad prp to crash the engine?
In a perfect world... no. Unfortunately CWE is not a very robust engine. There are hundreds of ways for a prp file to crash it.

A way to validate prp files and a refusal to load (link) if the prp is malformed would be nice. Though I wonder if that leaves us with any places to link to. I suspect that nearly every age has a potential crash lurking somewhere. :?
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

I had a very similar experience to Treehugger's - with my new avatar. I crashed out of the Gahreesen bahro cave, but still got the pillar. And then, the Yeesha speech didn't start when I linked into the Kadish bahro cave. I touched the wall to play the speech, but then turned it off again before jumping and didn't crash that time. Quite honestly, I've always felt like these crashes are simply a matter of too much going on at once and the game trying to sort out all those messages at once (especially since I usually leave while Yeesha is still babbling).

Even if it's not reproducible, would the logs still be of value for the bug fixers to see? I noted the times of the incidences. Should I submit a ticket?

(I would try to recreate it on the Gehn shard, but it would be a waste of time since I've never been able to locate those logs on my computer.)
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

D'Lanor wrote:
Christian Walther wrote:Even then – should it be possible for a bad prp to crash the engine?
In a perfect world... no. Unfortunately CWE is not a very robust engine. There are hundreds of ways for a prp file to crash it.
These are the sorts of things we can fix now!
D'Lanor wrote:A way to validate prp files and a refusal to load (link) if the prp is malformed would be nice. Though I wonder if that leaves us with any places to link to. I suspect that nearly every age has a potential crash lurking somewhere. :?
Like the SO without a name which caused a crash in Tsogal before I patched that.
Tai'lahr wrote:(I would try to recreate it on the Gehn shard, but it would be a waste of time since I've never been able to locate those logs on my computer.)
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uru - Gehn Shard\Log
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

It's always great when someone else has the same experience, it makes you think you might be onto something.
especially since I usually leave while Yeesha is still babbling
Yes, Tai'lahr, I do that too (though I always feel I shouldn't) - but in Gehn it didn't crash and in Minkata it did. :?

(Treehugger in Minkata)
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Yes, it is intermittent. It didn't crash me on Minkata today when I finished Teledahn and Gahreesen. I remember that it always did on MOULa.
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

Treehugger wrote:
especially since I usually leave while Yeesha is still babbling
Yes, Tai'lahr, I do that too (though I always feel I shouldn't)
After hearing her babbling for the 300th time, I don't feel the need to listen to her prattle anymore.

In fact, I somewhat enjoy the feeling of leaving her rambling to herself. It reinforces the sense that she's gone off the deep end of the fissure some years ago.

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”