Minkata Shard Update Friday August 17, 8pm US/Mountain

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Mac_Fife

Re: Minkata Shard Update Friday August 17, 8pm US/Mountain

Post by Mac_Fife »

I've got another observation on the "less grabby cursor", over and above JW's comments related to the frame and title bar: Activating the Uru window does not pop it to the front as you'd normally expect - if you have another window open overlapping Uru then it stays in front, although you can see that the cursor is operating on the Uru window.

This creates a potentially big "gotcha": If you got overlapping wondows like this, with the Uru window to the rear, and let's say Uru is at the avatar selection screen and that Uru is currently the "active" window, if you click in the overlapping area of the other window then it will behave (almost) as if it wasn't there and the click will act on the Uru window, selecting an avatar or pushing "Delete Explorer", "Quit" or "Explore URU" buttons, depending on where you click.

I opened a Web browser window and tried this, overlapping it with the Uru window and making the Uru window active: Moving the cursor over to the browser window gave you the sense of the browser now being the active window (cursor changed on links, rollovers worked, etc.) but if you clicked on a link then it would act on both the browser and Uru windows. Not what you'd expect at all.

I'd say this one is a "fail" just now because of those behaviours. I can't find a JIRA issue on this to update right now... If someone can point me to it, I'll add my comments.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

In the Marker Editor client on MOULa shard, we already have this new "freedom of cursor" which is the best thing ever! I'm working with 2 screens ON and I usually run several applications and I was always frustrated when I had to type alt + tab to get out of URU on every single occasion.

I could go and test the shareability of the fish tank book as I have 2 avatars there on different accounts.

For the GZ glass, I can't wait to modify my glasses in my private hoods in MOULa to have the design I prefer. The one by default isn't my preferred one.
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
Ehren

Post by Ehren »

Let's see, the book in the fish tank actually HAS the share symbol. But now the GUI popup shows a small DRC stamped page instead of a share page.

In other words it's mismatched now, so I'd sort of consider that broken. So, the share page needs to be put back on the popup of the book OR the left side of the linking book inside the tank needs to be replaced with a regular page texture.

What is this freed cursor thing? Is that only relevant to windowed mode? I'm always fullscreen.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Ehren wrote:What is this freed cursor thing? Is that only relevant to windowed mode? I'm always fullscreen.
Yes, it's when running in windowed mode: What would happen is that once the Uru window was "active" then it wouldn't allow the cursor to move outside the window to use another application or access your desktop unless you used Alt-Tab or hit the "Windows" key first. The update allows the cursor to move freely between windows, but seems to have some behavioural oddities, or at least it does on my Win 7 system.
Mac_Fife
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

I conduct a little survey in neighborhoods for the GZ glasses:

DRC(1) - default glass
DRC(2) - spikes glass (my neighborhood)
DRC(16) - round-shaped glass (my favorite)
OpenUru.org - default glass
angelmyst - default glass
D'Lanor 2.0 - default glass
TOOO - default glass
Scarchu - spikes glass (I was the first visitor ever in that neighborhood so my name will stick there forever ;) )

Ok so looking at this sample above, I see that some old neighborhoods like DRC(2) which was created real early in Minkata shard's history has been assigned a new glass for the GZ. Is that telling us that on MOULa, when the changes will be moved there, we will see old neighborhood assigned with new glasses? I suspect it's a random thing so we won't know which neighborhood will get what GZ glass, right?

----

I tested the "cursor freedom" which was really an easy task, I'm already acustomized to it playing on the MarkerEditor client. It's working like a charm.

----

My PC problems aren't all solved so I can only use 1 PC for now. I won't be able to test shareability or (the lack of it) in Teledahn for the next few days.
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Annabelle wrote:I tested the "cursor freedom" which was really an easy task, I'm already acustomized to it playing on the MarkerEditor client. It's working like a charm.
Well, what I've found is that if I have IE9 open in the foreground while Minkata starts up in the background, and I don't click in the Uru window until the avatar selection screen appears, then the Uru window won't then pop to the front. Having other applications in front during start up doesn't seem to cause the same issue; also, "using" the Uru window (e.g. dragging it to another position) while the loading bar is displayed seems to avoid the issue too, even when IE9 was overlapping.

Aside from the pointer disappearing as it crosses the window frame (which is maybe more "momentarily confusing" than anything else) there is one oddity that I found today: If you've been working outside the Uru window and click on Uru's title bar to activate the window, then Uru won't capture the pointer even if you then click inside the window - you need to click outside the Uru window and then click inside the main Uru window for the pointer to be acquired. It's fine though if you click directly inside the main Uru window after using another application - It's just clicking on the title bar that is a problem as the side and bottom edges are OK.
Mac_Fife
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

I will have to test with Internet Explorer 9 then... I had IE8 yesterday as it was when I first bought my PC 1 year and a half ago. I was back in early 2011 yesterday!!!
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Ehren wrote:Let's see, the book in the fish tank actually HAS the share symbol. But now the GUI popup shows a small DRC stamped page instead of a share page.

In other words it's mismatched now, so I'd sort of consider that broken. So, the share page needs to be put back on the popup of the book OR the left side of the linking book inside the tank needs to be replaced with a regular page texture.
As already stated in the description of the pull request.
ghaelen

Post by ghaelen »

Hi there,
Landlubber here... I tried updating from an old build (from this spring, maybe), and I get:
File not found: "Data\External\dat\Minkata\csv.gz"

I see in the changelog that something has moved directories (zlib?). Am I supposed to be able to update, have I done something wrong, or is the server file just missing (for me?)

Edit: Found the solution on the Help Desk - will try that first :)

Edit: replacing the files from MOULa didn't work. I'll try reinstalling when I get some time.
".... those things that are conceived in compassion are going to work....
.... those things that are conceived in unity are going to work...."

~Ancient Healer (maybe D'ni)

Moula3.2 KI #64299
OU Minkata KI #1504
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

One of the things we found out quite early on is that the updater on MOULa will only roll out the new files for the latest (current) update: If you miss out one or more updates then you won't get the files associated with those. What then happens on Minkata, if you copy that partly outdated fileset over to the shard, is that during the shard update it spots that some files are the wrong version and tries to update them. But since we can't serve Cyan's game content files, the patcher reports that it can't find the file on the server.

You need to make sure that your MOULa installation is fully up-to-date before copying files across to Minkata: Delete the tos.txt file in your MOULa installation folder and then start MOULa - Allow it to check and update your game files (you should see an update/download of some sort occur although it may be quite small). Once you get to the login window you can quit and then copy the MOULa dat folder over to your Minkata installation.
Mac_Fife

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”