Minkata shard update Saturday September 29, 2012

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

rarified

Minkata shard update Saturday September 29, 2012

Post by rarified »

We have some new fixes just about ready for updating Minkata. They havn't yet been built on the foundry, but if that happens successfully this afternoon, I expect I will update Minkata tonight, probably after 8pm US/Mountain.

I'll post information here when the update is completed.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Treehugger

Re: Minkata shard update Saturday September 29, 2012

Post by Treehugger »

some new things to test? 8-)

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Indeed; I think this Wiki page holds all the information: http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... under_Test
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Minkata has been updated. The update summary is here.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Lyrositor wrote:Indeed; I think this Wiki page holds all the information: http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... under_Test
ah, but I'm greedy, I meant NEW new stuff! The cursor fix is great for those using windowed mode, and thanks to Skoader and Lyrositor for working on it, but testing it is a bit unexciting!

I'm really pleased to see Christian's list of all the other things to test, and I'll go through it carefully when I have more time, to make sure I've not missed any of them (the previous list was a bit too tech-y for me) but they are all changes that came in a while ago and we've had a chance to try them out and comment on them already.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The anti-grabby window cursor now appears ready for prime time. Combined with the improved client cursor, this is an all-around improvement to the player experience. Great work!
Perfect speed is being there.
janaba

Post by janaba »

Just tested the cursor functionalities ... :P

- Allows the cursor to leave the client window and disables mouse recentering at load time
--> this works all perfectly, which is great ...
- Confirm that the mouse cursor is no longer held captive in the game client window, and that clicking outside the game window behaves
as Windows normally does (also when returning to the game window)
--> This works perfectly too ... I can now click outside and grab the Uru window by the window sides as well as by the title bar without loosing
the mouse cursor when returning to Uru from another app like FF e.g. ...

What does not work --> I cannot adjust the Uru window by the sides, yes, I can do it, but then I loose my mouse cursor and have to force
quit with Alt+F4 ... and in general, I completely don't have the right hand bottom 'Quit' 'Help' 'Options' signs anymore and thus can only
force quit with Alt+F4 or the integrated Uru F4 options facility ... I've tried this all very often right now, even while writing this to be sure ... :)
Skoader

Post by Skoader »

Thanks janaba!

I was working under the assumption that the window wasn't resizable, but apparently this has changed. In my opinion, the window shouldn't have a resizing border.
janaba

Post by janaba »

I just tried something which I forgot last night (my time lol) ... I just switched to fullview and had
my right hand bottom 'Quit/Options' bar back ... So, this bar is only missing in windowed mode ... :P
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Skoader wrote:In my opinion, the window shouldn't have a resizing border.
Right. It fools you because the cursor does not change to a resize symbol, but resize is available. It would not be so bad if the cursor display were not lost. But the cursor is indeed still active and tracking. If you can estimate where the cursor would be if it were visible, everything still works. It is simply not displayed. The window itself during a resize to a larger area is initially black in the expanded area, but upon release of the mouse button, the image stretches non-proportionally (distorted) to fill the window. I am surprised the client's Windows UI is apparently not on a separate thread. When resizing to a smaller size, the image remains fixed within the window border until mouse release whereupon the image contracts non-proportionally to the new size. So the resize itself is functional except for the missing cursor and single-threading, but it's not what's intended for the game. If it were resizable, which I'm not suggesting, it should be made to resize proportionally. The maximize box is present. I suspect that if it is disabled in the API then so too will the ability to resize. The close box is also present and maybe should also be disabled so that the user is required to logoff or exit gracefully using the game's UI.
Perfect speed is being there.

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”