Minkata Shard Update Saturday October 13, 2012

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Annabelle

Re: Minkata Shard Update Saturday October 13, 2012

Post by Annabelle »

:( :( :( The wiggly fly doesnt work for me...
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
janaba

Post by janaba »

Cool ... haha ... I wonder how you do this, how you make it that it doesn't work ... :mrgreen:

Did you try it the way I've described it here ... This way you cannot fail ... almost, as it seems lol ...
... and hurry, maybe the fun will be gone with the update later on ... :D
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

As I thought... Annabelle is way too heavy to fly :lol:

I brought the light & pretty Annabelle-Sophie and she enjoyed wiggly flying while Annabelle was cursing her ;) .

----

For a more logical explanation: my avatar Annabelle was on my new PC which is a real pain when trying to glitch. As I thought, I brought my other avatar on my old "best fitted for glitching" PC and she flown instantaneously :D.

It's really an awesome glitch :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thanks again to Ehren & Tai'lahr, and also Janaba for your support.

I can understand why it cannot be kept and transferred to the main server though. Even if it's not harmful, it has to be adjusted. I don't see why so much hurry was needed though :lol:
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Well, it's not so much an issue of trying to fix the "wiggefly" in a hurry, more that it's just trying to get the physics to do what it was supposed to do. There have long been grumbles that some things in MOUL were harder to do than they needed to be (like the Teledahn prison stones) and comparisons were drawn with the much better behaved (in many folk's opinion) Havoc physics from previous Uru versions. But these physics changes can really only go in if they're working properly in the vast majority of places that they ought to. There's little point in replacing one broken solution with another equally but differently broken solution. But it's an iterative process, and at some point "wigglefly" will probably vanish as the various niggles get worked out.

So the message for now might be "Come and get your wigglefly while it lasts" ;)
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Mac_Fife wrote:So the message for now might be "Come and get your wigglefly while it lasts" ;)
Done! :P

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 610#390610
Perfect speed is being there.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

It could be worst ;) ... Gehn & TOC MOUL both have the monkey climbing issue which is a nice way to visit everything. The bad side of it is the ability to really cheat bad in almost every age.

At least with the wigglefly, as D'Lanor mentionned, we pay for our sin :lol: there's a panic linking occurring after we close the KI to return to normality.

What is going on with the project to completely change the physic engine? If physX worsen the gameplay at each tweek, would it be preferable to migrate with another engine?
Marten

Post by Marten »

Some developers have been looking at moving Myst Online to another physics engine called Bullet Physics.

Changing engines is nontrivial, and it isn't guaranteed to work any better. Every engine is likely to have its own quirks and foibles.

But it is very good that we have people who are trying to improve PhysX, and we have people trying to port to Bullet Physics. The path to finding the optimal solution, in this case, is to pursue all options and see which turns out the best.
The music is reversible, but time is not.
Skoader

Post by Skoader »

Annabelle wrote:If physX worsen the gameplay at each tweek, would it be preferable to migrate with another engine?
The wiggle fly glitch isn't caused by PhysX. It isn't responsible for any of the bugs reported in Minkata 65-66 or for the monkey climbing you mentioned. They result from implementation problems and/or other bugs unrelated to the physics code that would exist even if we were using Bullet.

MOUL isn't a very physics heavy game and PhysX is more than up to the task. The remaining issues will be ironed out in time. ;)
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Well I'm not very skilled with all the technicalities around physic engines. I don't even know how those beasts work to be frank. If you, Marten, Skoader, or anyone else more versed in computer science or computer engineering, say things will be ironed out and we don't need to be worry about that then, I will trust you.

I will enjoy the fun while it last...

--- an example on how non-savvy I am ---

I just saw today that my internet connection speed is boosted. I don't know why but everything works faster. I unleached something without noticing it... My motto: I will enjoy the fun while it last :lol:

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”