Minkata Shard Update Saturday October 13, 2012

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

rarified

Minkata Shard Update Saturday October 13, 2012

Post by rarified »

Later tonight the Minkata client will be updated with a significant new update.

A major upgrade to the physics engine by Skoader has been integrated into the game client.

Expect a series of postings to appear following tonight's update, not only describing the update but also announcing some organized activities on Minkata to help with shaking out the physics changes. Since physics are pervasive throughout the game, the behavior of every movable object might be impacted by these changes.

If we can get enough usage of this update in the next two weeks, we may be able to justify including it in the November update we will offer to Cyan for MOULa.

The update will not require Minkata servers to be shut down; new game players will simply start getting the update when they start the game.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Tai'lahr

Re: Minkata Shard Update Saturday October 13, 2012

Post by Tai'lahr »

And this is one of those posts…

The OpenUru team has been buzzing these past few days, making big plans for this testing period. As rarified noted, this is a significant update and the team is hoping to get these changes included in the next MOULa update, so it’s imperative that testing is thorough. Here are the specifics about the Avatar physics update.

We need a lot of testers to try out a lot of things, so we’re going to try to make it as fun as possible for you. Christian has organized two contests, one in Jalak and one with cones! :)

Ideally, all the testers would create a new avatar and run through the whole game, but if that’s not feasible for you, then please see this list of the updated physics behaviors to be tested. You can post your own observations to the wiki (use the same login as you use for these forums) or, if you're not familiar with editing wiki tables, you can post your comments here and we'll get them copied to the wiki. See Mac_Fife's post for more info.

We would also like for people to try to plan to get together for testing or even plan some activities during the next two weeks. (Janeerah has agreed to hold his weekly Age Gathering on the shard this Thursday.) Post your ideas here or just post when you plan to be on if you want others to join you in testing. I have created a new avatar (Tai'2, #96488) and plan to run through from beginning to end. I expect to be in the Minkata cavern between 11:00 & 13:00 KI time on the weekdays.

At the end of the testing period, on Saturday, October 27th, we're planning an event from 13:00 to 16:00 KI time. Once the team has looked over the reports from the two weeks of testing, they'll decide what, if anything is left to be tested and will make plans accordingly. If they can't find anything... well, then it will just be a well-earned celebration for the testers. Either way, D'niJ Ktahdn will be broadcasting music. :D

Various Notes from Christian:
Spoiler
Christian Walther wrote:Various notes:
  • Tai'lahr mentioned some contests to make testing more fun. Details about those are here now!
  • The Meeting Place neighborhood has decided to hold their weekly “Funday” meeting on Minkata this week. As always, all visitors are welcome. Definite plans will be made on the spot, but the general idea is to solve an age together from start to end. Meet in The Meeting Place hood at 13:00 KI on Sunday Oct 21st, the event usually runs for about two hours.
  • I will occasionally be on the shard around 13:00 KI, if someone is looking for group test companions, but can’t make specific commitments on weekdays. Look for Christian Walther, KI 3032, and Lawreth Stirincha, KI 3434.
  • For cases when a real-time out-of-game communication channel is useful, during group tests or otherwise, don’t forget that we have an IRC channel. You can chat either in your web browser at http://rel.to/ou_irc or using an IRC client at [url]irc://chat.mystlore.com/#openuru[/url]. I am there whenever I have time.
viewtopic.php?p=7151#p7151
Edit: To update links and new information. Tuesday, October 16th.
Last edited by Tai'lahr on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

sounds great! :D

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Just found something a bit weird - took my avvie through the Er'cana shell portal and got a peculiar effect where the avvie juddered back and forward before it disappeared. Tried it out with all 3 of my avvies and got the same result.

Kicking the bones and rocks in the Teledahn slave cave and the logs and boulders on relto all seem fine and the harvester didn't judder.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Thanks for the report, Treehugger! I've added the Er'cana shell portal to the list of animations (line 24) and may add all the other portals, as well. Did you submit a ticket on this?
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

oops! :oops: I have now!

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Thanks, Tai'lahr. By the way, as well as the harvester; the logs, stones and fire marbles on relto; and the Teledahn slave cave stones, bones and fish baskets all working well, I also tried the Teledahn bucket ride and that was fine too; as was splashing through the water in the pipe under the Teledahn hut.

Going back to try some more!

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

I checked the Eder Gira jumps 14, 15 and 16 and they all work fine.

However, one problem (depending on your perspective) is that you now don't need the second (pair of) fishtraps - if your avvie walks along the side of the rock without the baskets in place, he or she doesn't fall into the water.

edit: numbers 14, 15 and 16 are the numbers of the relevant rows on your document, Tai'lahr
Last edited by Treehugger on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Treehugger wrote:However, one problem (depending on your perspective) is that you now don't need the second (pair of) fishtraps - if your avvie walks along the side of the rock without the baskets in place, he or she doesn't fall into the water.
I can not confirm this. My avvie still slides into the water. Unless I jump against the rock but then I lose the fireflies anyway.
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Thanks for the great report, Treehugger. I hope I got all of your points noted on the list.
I'm not sure what jumps 14, 15 and 16 are exactly; are they anything on the list that I should note?
Treehugger wrote:However, one problem (depending on your perspective) is that you now don't need the second (pair of) fishtraps - if your avvie walks along the side of the rock without the baskets in place, he or she doesn't fall into the water.
This could definitely affect game play, so I've added it to the list to be checked by others. Hopefully, they'll find the same results as D'Lanor and your experience can be considered a fluke.

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”