Minkata Shard Update Fri October 26 [Minkata.68]

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

D'Lanor

Re: Minkata Shard Update Fri October 26 [Minkata.68]

Post by D'Lanor »

Annabelle wrote:There seems to be a latency issue between the moment we trigger an animation sequence (like breaking a Ning Tree) and the animation taking place itself... See pictures, there's no trick, only me awaiting for Ning Tree break.
The latency issue could be in your connection to rarified's server which hosts the Minkata shard. Odd as it may seem, the client requires a confirmation message from the server before it can trigger anything.
janaba

Post by janaba »

I don't experience this delay period or latency with those crystals in Misty Ahnonay, but when linking ...
I never mentioned it though as anyone of our programmers said a while back that there was some special
debugging running in the background causing this, so it'd be easier for you all to trace errors, bugs and glitches ... :D
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

There is a lot of debug logging going on in the Minkata client, but on most reasonably modern PCs that ought not to make a huge difference most of the time. During a link you might notice something I suppose, because there's a lot of "unloading" and "loading" being recorded then.

The trigger delay isn't something I've noticed (and I'm several thousand miles from the server), and I don't think the Minkata server bandwith has been under any stress, so a "round trip delay" due to something specific on Annabelle's connection, as D'Lanor suggests, seems most likely - even the weather can play a part there as your route can vary substantially if a routing node goes down due to a power outage.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Salix just completed Gahreesen. The cogs worked fine BUT the camera didn't. As she ran into the gap in the wall to wait for the cog wheel to turn, the camera returned to the room with the hole in the floor that she'd just left. I had to switch to 1st person to see where she was. I'll try another avvie to see if it was a one-off.

Edit: no problem with Quercus, but Syringa had the same experience as Salix - not 100% of the time but Syringa found the same phenomenon twice in 4 attempts.

Edit: got it with Ilex too.

I've also noticed that if you stand in the tunnel beside the cog, you don't need to run into the gap any more - you get sucked in when the gap comes.
Last edited by Treehugger on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Skoader has described a bug related to the 2.6.x versions of PhysX that can cause just the type of camera glitch that you describe. It's random though, so not repeatable as such, although there are probably some places where you're more likely to see it manifest.

Do let us know what you find, but I suspect you won't be able to reproduce the issue.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
CalumTraveler

Post by CalumTraveler »

Treehugger wrote:I've also noticed that if you stand in the tunnel beside the cog, you don't need to run into the gap any more - you get sucked in when the gap comes.
You can do this in MOULa as well, so it's nothing new as far as physics go. It's my preferred method for entering the wheel on slower connections, and I tell people who have such connections to do it that way, as it prevents the "invisi-wall" bug from appearing and keeping them from exiting the wheel in the cases I've encountered it in.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Except, ahh, I almost forgot, I was experiencing something funny in Er'cana, which I couldn't replicate anymore, so it seems
that it's not too important, but it happened and I show you with a picture lol ... When I took my backpack and wanted to go
down the ladder I couldn't and got stuck above that hole lol, I could run and jump, but I couldn't escape that situation and had
to Relto out ...

hey, janaba, one of my avvies just had the same problem, so the new physics hasn't fixed it. Got stuck in the hole, had the "falling" animation and panic-linked out. Had to reset the book.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
janaba

Post by janaba »

Awww ... I couldn't replicate that issue anymore, also not with my new avies ... I just logged in and
tried it again to be sure, but everything's fine since then ... I also didn't have to reset the book, it
just happened only once ... Maybe you should send in your log, so they can directly see how that
happened ... :P
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

janaba wrote: Maybe you should send in your log, so they can directly see how that
happened ... :P
thanks, janaba, I have followed your advice and submitted a ticket. But I couldn't see anything useful in the log - not that I'm an expert of course!

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

I cannot find the thread where I said that I had a complete resetted Eder Gira and blablabla...

I finally redone it entirely, with fireflies and making bridges and lighting up the caves. I returned there few days later, maybe sunday, I don't recall... the age seems stable now, all the things are set the way I left them few days before my 2nd visit.
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”