Slow "Updating" in Minkata.71

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Treehugger

Slow "Updating" in Minkata.71

Post by Treehugger »

Treehugger wrote:Still testing and haven't found any particular glitches. BUT has anyone else noted that, since the latest update, the "updating" phase of the launcher seems to take a lot longer? Or is it just my internet connection? Thought I'd flag it, in case it wasn't just me.

Not sure we got to the bottom of this - or if we did, I'm not sure I understood it.

I just did a test. NB this is comparing the "updating" phase when the spinning circle appears, just after login. MOULa - 18 seconds. Minkata - annoyingly, the time keeps going up and down as the bar fills in, but it went up to 3 mins 21 seconds, and it felt a lot longer.

If this is due to the rarified's internet connection, as Christian suggests - then sorry for drawing attention to it again :oops: - but if it's something in the programming and we're about to transfer it to MOULa, we won't be thanked by anyone for slowing it down!

Do we know which it is?

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Annabelle

Re: Minkata Shard Update Sunday, Nov 11, 2012 [Minkata.71]

Post by Annabelle »

Treehugger wrote:
Treehugger wrote:Still testing and haven't found any particular glitches. BUT has anyone else noted that, since the latest update, the "updating" phase of the launcher seems to take a lot longer? Or is it just my internet connection? Thought I'd flag it, in case it wasn't just me.

Not sure we got to the bottom of this - or if we did, I'm not sure I understood it.

I just did a test. NB this is comparing the "updating" phase when the spinning circle appears, just after login. MOULa - 18 seconds. Minkata - annoyingly, the time keeps going up and down as the bar fills in, but it went up to 3 mins 21 seconds, and it felt a lot longer.

If this is due to the rarified's internet connection, as Christian suggests - then sorry for drawing attention to it again :oops: - but if it's something in the programming and we're about to transfer it to MOULa, we won't be thanked by anyone for slowing it down!

Do we know which it is?
I went to both shards in the last couple days and I don't see any differences between connection time. I don't think the issue is up the hill (server side).
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Treehugger wrote:If this is due to the rarified's internet connection, as Christian suggests - then sorry for drawing attention to it again :oops: - but if it's something in the programming and we're about to transfer it to MOULa, we won't be thanked by anyone for slowing it down!

Do we know which it is?
I just tried Minkata and MOULa back to back twice over, timing how long it took from the first black "Updating" screen appearing until the avatar selection screen appeared. In all four tests it took 51 seconds +/- 1 second, so no appreciable difference overall. But there is one small difference that I've always noticed, and I think it's due to MOSS and and the MOULa servers handling the secure downloads slightly differently: On the first uploading screen (when the progress bar fills up) there's a "sticky bit" at about 85% or so where the bar slows down substantially. Minkata always seems to reach that point faster than MOULa, but is then slower afterwards. During my tests, Minkata got to the "sticky bit" in 17 seconds, MOULa in 21 seconds. Both got to the "Full Bar" at pretty much the same elapsed time. That slower second phase (whatever it is) could give the impression that it's loading more slowly overall.

As I said, I observed this right from Minkata's inception, and when the updates transfer to MOULa there seems to be no noticeable effect of MOULa's behaviour, which is why I put it down to differences in the servers. However, keep in mind that if the code that's included within the python.pak becomes substantially larger (due to fixes increasing the code size, or new code being added for new ages) then that "Updating" phase will take longer.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Thanks for testing too, Mac. Might my installation have got corrupted? I did a run of tests too - MOULa ranged from 56 seconds to 1 min 10 sec. Gehn was the star, taking only 5 to 7 seconds. Minkata was a sluggish 4 mins 27 to 4 mins 45.

It was only the most recent update that has had this problem. But the game runs normally.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Hmm... I'd doubt that your installation is corrupted - the client itself is (I think) one of the "critical files" that gets checked by the patcher even if the thin manifest is used - it tends to be the age files that go a bit squiffy. Gehn uses different server software again, so what happens there could well be quite different. Over 4 minutes for Minkata seems a bit excessive though - What kind of speed is your internet connection supposed to provide?

I know we have had suspicions about the "quality" of your internet route to the Minkata servers as possibly being the cause of some of the odd issues that you've raised tickets for - I'm half inclined to think that this is another manifestation of that, although it's maybe not supported by the fact that it's only the latest update that has introduced this. Maybe a difficult question, but how much quicker do you think it was with Minkata.68?
Mac_Fife
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Thanks, Mac, just did a speed test, downloading was 12.38mb/s - you may remember, I recently changed ISP.

I did all the tests at the same time of day in random order so the ISP can't be the reason for Minkata being slow when MOULa was fine. (I did 3 MOULas, 4 Minkatas and 2 Gehns).

My recollection was that Minkata and MOULa used to be around the same speed.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

OK. My download speed is around 46Mb/s but Minkata and MOULa both start up in just about the same time as they did with the 6.5Mb/s connection I had up until about 6 weeks ago. So it doesn't look like a speed related issue, since you're way faster than my old connection.

Maybe a stupid suggestion - Is your disk maybe getting a bit full? Other (related) thought is that it's to do with the logging in the Minkata client - maybe try flushing out the old files from your "My Documents\Uru Live Minkata Shard\Log" folder.
Mac_Fife
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

thanks, Mac, I've submitted a ticket, because clearing the logs (and subsequently doing a Windows disk cleanup) hasn't helped. And MOULa is still loading quickly so I can't see that memory would have a differential effect....

(Treehugger in Minkata)
sut

http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=845

Post by sut »

Humm How are you 2 checking your speed? Do you have a program ? I would be interested in getting involved in doing it, also to see if any diff in 3 testers from diff locations
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Hi, sut, I just used a speed checker program from the internet but they are probably country-specific since they're usually linked to firms trying to sell faster connections. The one I used was called "Broadband speed checker - the UK's number 1 broadband speed test".

The way I timed my tests was, after login, timing from the start of the spinning circle to when it finally disappeared (and you get to the avvie selection menu).

Thanks for checking!

(Treehugger in Minkata)

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”