Slow "Updating" in Minkata.71

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Annabelle

Re: Slow "Updating" in Minkata.71

Post by Annabelle »

Treehugger wrote: Me!! :lol:
Oh yeah...now that I'm going back in my memories --> I remember having asked that question once :lol: I will remember from now on... I do hope :oops:

I will make association with "hugger". That will help me. Sorry for asking a 2nd time. :mrgreen:
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

no worries! ;)

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Treehugger's problem looks like a network issue, but probably something outside of her control. I'll need to have a chat with rarified, but I don't really think it's something at his end either. There seems to be a "bad boy" in the route :? .

Treehugger got a Wireshark capture for me of the data passing in/out of her PC while starting Minkata. What I can see is that during the updating phase she had 247 dropped packets, 116 suspected retransmitted packets and 8 out-of-order packets. All of these are things that can "just happen" with internet communication and the protocols deal with it, but usually they're in quite small numbers. For comparison, when I did the same data capture I had 7 dropped packets, 0 suspected retransmissions and 7 out-of-order packets.

Whenever a dropped packet occurs it gets noticed and there's a request to resend: In treehugger's case, after each dropped packet there are a LOT of duplicate ACKs being sent. Since the problem doesn't appear to manifest on MOULa then I'd conclude that the problem host doesn't get used on the route there. I think some further digging into what's happening in the respective routes is needed.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

thanks for all this work, Mac, I really appreciate it. :D

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

I measured my Minkata updating time now, and it’s around a minute from appearance of the spinning circle to appearance of the avatar selection screen, slightly faster than MOULa. The progress bar is very inaccurate though, much more so than on MOULa – very fast at the beginning, slow at the end (same thing as Mac observed, but more pronounced).

So, nothing unusual here after all.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

I just followed Mac's advice and tried from a new location (in Scotland this time) using my same laptop. No problems here - less than 90 seconds :) . I'll do your Wireshark captures, Mac, so we can make a more scientific comparison.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

OK, thanks. What that information alone suggests is that there's not a specific issue related to your PC (and also excuses the shard server itself), rather that it has something to do with the "route" between the PC and the server. That might be difficult to pin down :?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Yup! Is there some way of forcing the route that is taken - eg always go via Aberdeen? Oh, and before I capture loads of irrelevant stuff, did the wireshark guide get updated?

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

If I may make an observation: it's possible that the route(s) being used are simply experiencing higher volumes of traffic than usual. From the end of November to the beginning of January, there's a lot of general network congestion (for what I feel are obvious reasons). I would be more concerned if the issue persists later into January.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

interesting theory, hope you're right, Hoikas. Will of course try in January! But it didn't feel like a gradual increase in time taken, which I'd expect would follow from a seasonal increase in internet traffic; it felt more like a step change. And I didn't find any similar problems with Gehn or MOULa, where I would expect the same factors to apply. :?

(Treehugger in Minkata)

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”