Unable to complete installlation of Client

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

janaba

Re: Unable to complete installlation of Client

Post by janaba »

Thank you, JWPLatt, for this lovely and in-depth report or portrayal of the happenings, all the demands and requirements, but also reliefs and enjoyments in your life, which as you already assumed might apply to many if not all others too in one way or another ... and even if this all might seem and actually be quite arduous and laborious it is also a labour of love somehow for ourselves and loved ones after all ... I'm glad you got the chance to seize your 'Second Chance Summer' and it sounds so beautiful when you say 'I looked forward to getting out every morning of my Second Chance Summer to enjoy using the weather to my advantage. With things back in shape outside, it’s back to cyberspace for me and more MagiQuest work' ... :P

Yeah, as for MOULa and fan content, I'd say, Charura already highlighted and commented on the most appropriate of your statements, so I'll leave it at that in agreement ... Thanks again, and my best and fondest wishes to all of you ... :D
rarified

Post by rarified »

Hello all! I'm sorry for being uncommunicative about this, I've been debating with myself what to post about the current situation.

For the status of Minkata, Treehugger correctly recalled what was on Christian and my plate a couple of months ago. On my side the immediate task was to try to update Minata with the build 918 game files while keeping our client back at the 912 level. This would leave Minkata with the same functional fixes we sent to Cyan, but without yet needing to merge back the updated code that Cyan eventually used in build 918 (which altered a couple of the fixes in a way that was different in the way the code was written, but with essentially the same functionality.)

I did make one pass at trying to update Minkata to that configuration, but ran into some problems getting the file server and old client to agree that the new files were correct (for the technical folks, the manifests that had to be rebuilt did not satisfy both the client and the server, and the client continually requested an updated file).

Unfortunately I ran out of time and have not yet been able to dedicate enough time to go through the process and confirm it works or diagnose what the problem could be if it did not. Hence Minkata remains with build 912 data files, and we don't have permission yet to redistribute those older files which makes it impossible to perform a Minkata installation at this time.

A small blessing is that CW and others have also been very busy so the only people currently blocked are those like Dr. Chris who started this thread because they are new to Minkata. But yes it is an undesirable situation and one I hope I can remedy as soon as possible.

Which leads me to the second half of this status update.

One thing that has been consuming a significant part of my time in RL is that I've learned I have a serious health condition that will require surgery. I'll be undergoing that in around a week (Oct 15th). I've had to spend quite a bit of time with doctors, tests, and travel to obtain second opinions on the treatment options.

At this point I expect that the surgery itself will not be too difficult but there will be an extended period of convalescence. That may work to the advantage of OU and Minkata as I should be able to use a laptop while I'm not up for moving much (and on leave from work). I'll just have to wait and see how I feel after treatment.

So there will still be a period of time when updates to Minkata and the Foundry are slow, but hopefully it won't be too long. Minkata in it's current state is very stable, the server it runs on has been up for 465 days to date, and it runs with a minimum of manual intervention. So Minkata will remain accessible during my "off" time.

I 'm discussing this because I felt it was unfair to be so vague about why I had not and will not be able to devote as much time as I want to keeping things up to date. I was originally going to mention this during AGM but then thought it probably would be too disruptive and was an inappropriate topic for that venue. So here it is.

Thanks for your understanding.
_Rarified
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Thank you for this full explanation, Rarified. So sorry to hear about your health condition, it must have been a worrying time for you, working out what it was and what to do about it. Good news that we might all benefit during your convalescence, but don't push yourself - if you're meant to be resting then rest! :x

Best of luck for 15th, we'll be thinking of you! :)

(Treehugger in Minkata)
janaba

Post by janaba »

This must be the reason why I'm still here lol ... you're all such extraordinary and wonderful persons and personalities, every single one quite different and unique and yet belonging to one great community, not always coherent but there's a bond somehow ... :P

So, thanks for this extensive account as for your life, the hindrances and delays as for Minkata developments and updates as well as the inclusion of your personal dire straits atm, rarified, and it is perfectly ok to mention personal matters, 'cause you're not just a toolsmith and bookbinder for OpenUru, but a man and a human being, an exceptional and great one ... :)

Every now and again and sometimes in a more forceful way our bodies as a conduit or maybe megaphone in some cases lol for our souls call for more attention, for a more intense contemplation and reflection as to our relationship first and foremost to ourselves and the body as well as our relationships to everything and everyone else, means our lives in general ... You know this already, of course, but it is sometimes good to remind oneself that there's no punishment involved, never ... ever, but that any dis-eases, dis-comforts or any other challenges in life are just gifts we're presenting to ourselves e.g. for a more reasonable and gentle approach and treatment of ourselves first and foremost and thus everything and every person in our lives subsequently and such ...

What I want to say is, try as much as possible to stay positive and relax, resistance always makes everything worse anyway, forget about Minkata and also government shutdowns, Washington Memorials and truckers and every such thing for now lol, esp. if you're not directly affected, negative energy like worry, anger and such won't lead to positive outcomes anyway, in the contrary it can only aggravate your own condition ... There is a perfect order underlying the seeming outer chaos btw., a massive change is taking place worldwide and what we see on the surface is just the old playing out ...

So, seize the time and opportunity as much as possible ... We'll be keeping you in our hearts and thoughts ... Take care and much love, light and blessings to you, rarified ... :D
janaba

Post by janaba »

I just got an interesting video in my RSS feeds and felt reminded of you, rarified ... :P

This guy has picked up a quite delicate subject, but he has a very nice and plausible way to convey what he intends to transmit ... I feel he's absolutely authentic and knows what he's saying and he's a living example for what he's talking about (of course, this is only the tip of the iceberg he can scratch in this short video presentation, but it is already very powerful ) ... I thought this might be inspiring or even encouraging and uplifting for anyone of you here, esp. for you rarified in these days and times ... Enjoy or just dismiss it ... Good luck and many more blessings, love and light to you ... :D
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Just FYI - there is a YouTube tag available on these OU forums. ;)

Code: Select all

[YouTube]<video code>[/YouTube] where <video code> is the code that comes after the "v=" in the YouTube url.
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Dear Gentle Janaba, as usual you find something that hits right on the mark. Thank you for your kindness and thoughts, it helps with the element of that video describing life outlook.

I'm finding support in a lot of unexpected places.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
janaba

Post by janaba »

Ohh, JWPLatt, that is awesome, 'cause I can immediately try that out as there has just been coming in something which is the awesomeness, I mean this guy is absolutely priceless and lovely and he's even from Colorado, a must see ... Enjoy ... :D

and yeah!!! it works ... thank you ... :mrgreen:

and ohh, you're welcome, very much welcome, rarified, I'm glad you liked it ... /hugs ... :D
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

I've started a thread on the MOUL forums: Get Well Soon Wishes for Rarified
janaba

Post by janaba »

I just saw you on the Cyan forums and immediately looked here ... Hey there, rarified, I'm so glad to see you so very soon ... I hope everything went well for you ... /wave ... :D

You don't need to say sth of course if you're not feeling so very good right now, it was just such a big surprise for me to see your name already ... I wish you a fast and smooth recovery and everything that you wish for yourself ... :P

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”