Minkata Shard Update Saturday November 16, 2013

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

janaba

Re: Minkata Shard Update Saturday November 16, 2013

Post by janaba »

TOOO wrote:Does the shard absolutely have to be in the x86 folder? To save space on my PC hard drive, I've been running my Uru shards off of a flash drive.
Does that make a difference?
Hi, TOOO, I never install anything in the x86 folder lol, except Firefox and some minor/essential stuff and more for convenience in handling this lol ... I have all my Uru installations on a separate partition, I suppose that's why I never had to assign special administrator rights or choose different Win compatibilities than Win7 by now, and all other apps and games I install separately from my main system drive as well ... :D

Ahh, I can add that I have a backup copy of Drizzle e.g. on an external harddrive and have been running it from there once, just to try and to update my fan ages, so I didn't have to pick out the changed files and copy them one by one, and that all worked quite well ... :P
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

TOOO wrote:Does the shard absolutely have to be in the x86 folder?
I'd strongly recommend avoiding the "Program Files (x86)" folder... I've never tried a flash drive for MOUL - I'd imagine it'd maybe make some things a shade slower, but maybe not much.

The error message you were reporting on the MOUL forums still indicates that the dat folder is not properly populated with the file versions that the client is expecting. The clients sees the mismatch and tries to download a replacement from the shard's file server, but fails because we aren't allowed to serve Cyan's content (hence the need to copy in the files from a MOUL install).
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

For future reference... After Lyrositor was kind enough to rewrite the Gehn installer to use NSIS's "modern UI" features, I wrote a post-install step that changes permissions on the client folder such that any normal user can change the client directory. In other words, you don't have to do all of that admin trickery to play the game. As always, I've pushed the useful bits to a github repo.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

That installer makes a lot of sense. Call us lazy if you will, but I think it was simply easier/quicker/less hassle/whatever for rarified to do something that he could export directly (or near directly) from Jenkins.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
rarified

Post by rarified »

It's on the list... It's a long list...

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Do we have a stove too?
Perfect speed is being there.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Mac_Fife wrote:That installer makes a lot of sense. Call us lazy if you will, but I think it was simply easier/quicker/less hassle/whatever for rarified to do something that he could export directly (or near directly) from Jenkins.
The Minkata Solution(TM) isn't exactly lazy--it's understandable. It takes quite a bit of effort to put an Uru shard online. Our installer has been a work in progress ever since branan's old Plasma Client project, so we had a bit of a leg up in that regard. Once you get the NSIS directory structure and script adapted for Minkata, it should be easy enough to automate the generation of these installers.

Maybe one of these days we will Jenkin-ize our build process... :ugeek:
sut

Post by sut »

Ok after replacing my cooked power supply I finally am getting back to fixing this update on Minkata I can log in ok but my build is 1.912 and URU is at 1.918 could it be something to do with the skydiving client in uru if so how do I fix it or does it matter? any help is appreciated
rarified

Post by rarified »

Hi Sut...

Minkata is in an unusual state right now (and for a little while to come). The version displayed on the login windows and on the titlebar accurately reflects that the software is still based on the 1.912 MOULa release, but also has the set of fixes that OpenUru forwarded to Cyan that eventually became MOULa 1.918. Not reflected in that version number is the fact that the content (the "dat" files containing game model information) has been updated to (and needs to be) the MOULa 1.918 version.

We're in this state because there were slight differences reconciling the actual code Cyan used to generate the MOULa 1.918 client and what OpenUru sent them. Cyan will send back to us the actual code they used after they've made any changes they feel are necessary to use in in MOULa.

In this particular case, we had to incorporate some changes to remove pieces of code related to displaying video within the game because of objections from the owner of the code that was originally in MOULa that the source code violated their license. The contributors to this particular fix that OpenUru bundled into the Cyan delivery removed and disabled these parts of the software one way. When Cyan provided us with the source code they used to build MOULa they made some more changes that didn't match ours. We now have to reconcile the two, as well as have a discussion about the way to handle the possibility this may happen again and how to manage these situations.

So under TL;DR - yes, 1.912 - Build 77 is the latest Minkata client, but in order to use the shard you will need to use (up to date) content from MOULa 1.918.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
sut

Post by sut »

Ok so then I am all set I can log in just fine thx for the quick reply !!!!

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”