Minkata Shard Update Saturday November 16, 2013

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

rarified

Minkata Shard Update Saturday November 16, 2013

Post by rarified »

Minkata has finally been updated to use the content from MOULa build 918. No program (client) changes have been made.

This means existing users with Minkata set up on their computer will need to delete the old dat folder in the folder where Minkata was installed, and copy the dat folder from the MOULa client (usually somewhere similar to C:\Program Files (x86)\Uru Live\dat on Windows 7) into the Minkata install folder. You should then be able to run the Minkata client again.

Certain steps must be performed in this order to make sure you have up to date MOULa files before using them to update Minkata.
  1. Remove the TOS.txt file in your MOULa install directory
    (something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Uru Live\TOS.txt)
  2. Run the MOULa client until you get to the login prompt. You can login and quit from there
  3. Copy all the files in the MOULa dat folder into your Minkata dat install folder
  4. Remove the TOS.txt file from the Minkata install folder
  5. Run the Minkata client
Note that having an application update files in C:\Program Files (x86) appears to be restricted to users that have administrative privileges under Windows 7 and later. So be sure to run the MOULa client in step (2) as an admin user.

New users are now able to set up a Minkata client by following the instructions sent to them via email after registering for a Minkata account on the Foundry.

Please give the updated configuration a try. The game client (program) is still based upon build 912, while the data files are from build 918. This is a somewhat unusual configuration that will be resolved in the near future as we synchronize changes in the program code and build configuration from MOULa 918 back into Minkata.

_R

[Edit: to include updated instructions for ensuring both MOULa and Minkata are updated]
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Treehugger

Re: Minkata Shard Update Saturday November 16, 2013

Post by Treehugger »

hey, that's excellent news - both that you've been well enough to work on this, rarified; and that this important milestone has been achieved! Well done everyone! :D

Will now go and get those files.....

edited - yup, got them, everything working so far but I've not done much. Is there anything special that testers should look out for? I know this is an interim stage so I guess that a thorough test may not be needed....

(Treehugger in Minkata)
janaba

Post by janaba »

I can happily affirm that everything seems to work smooth and perfectly well, as far as that is possible to determine with just having a short look and 'feeling' around, and as such I agree with Treehugger in general and in every respect ... :D
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Ack! It's not working for me. Deleted the dat folder in the Minkata folder; copied the dat folder from the Uru Live folder into the Minkata folder. Everything seemed to work fine right up through the loading screen and one update; then it begins the second update and after a brief pause just closes the program without any kind of error notification.

I even deleted the TOS file and tried that; even restarted the computer and re-did the whole process. Any suggestions?

Btw, welcome back, rarified. Good to see you back and things happening here. :)
Last edited by Tai'lahr on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janaba

Post by janaba »

What immediately comes to mind, Tai'lahr, is that maybe you shoudn't have deleted Minkata's dat folder ... I hope that you still have it in your recycle bin to get it back ... The reason is, it might be or most probably seems really to be so that there have been files in that folder the program will need to function ... rarified has done sth (whatever that might be lol), means he has adjusted and modified or even added files so that those MOUL installations are compatible, and thus you now have deleted those files ... :P

I rarely delete sth completely unless I really know that the thing I want to replace it with is exactly the same just modified/improved or whatsoever ... I'd like to add that I thus just copy the dat folder of MOULa and paste it into the shard's directory containing the dat folder and have to answer yes, when asked if I'd like to overwrite it so that only the resp. new files from MOULa will be overwritten ... Those are only assumptions from my own limited understanding of those things though they sound completely logical to me and not so far off ... let's see what rarified or anyone else will say ... :D
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Okay, well, on the third try, I did get a stack dump error:
Spoiler
UruLive.Live.1.912 - Minkata.77 - External.Release
Exception type: Access violation
Call stack (14 levels):
0x0089E0C8
0x0045755C
0x00457503
0x0045664F
0x007F7E21
0x005071BF
0x00554664
0x00553D26
0x00456BEB
0x007F75F4
0x007F71C3
0x007F6C50
0x7C350609
0x7C343305
I then tried "Run as Admin" thinking it might need the authorization to make changes to the files, but got "Error downloading file from server, exiting..."

I'm with you, Janaba and never completely delete anything until I'm sure it's not needed. But, the Minkata dat files aren't making it work, either.
janaba

Post by janaba »

Does that mean that you retrieved the Minkata dat files from the recycle bin and put them back into the Minkata directory? ... just so that our programmers know where the things stand with your installation? ... (strange is that everything's ok until you deleted that, right?) ... Ok, crosses fingers for a rapid solution ... :D

Edit haha : I'd like to correct my explanation above lol, I of course meant to say that this folder might have contained files needed for the functioning of the installation in whatever way ... it didn't of course contained files which rarified had added or modified lol ... just sayin' ... yeah, sometimes I just sit there, doing sth completely different and then such things pop up into my mind and I look and it is correct lol ... :geek:
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

I have the same problem as Tai'lahr.

At first glance it appears to work but in fact nothing is updated. I'm still on 912 but I can log in and play on Minkata just fine. Not good... :shock:

Then I deleted the TOS file to force the update and I got the "Error downloading file from server" message. The launcher says that it wants to download about 148 MB, but of course it can't. In the process it messes up several files in the Minkata dat folder (making them 0 bytes).

I have verified that my MOULa dat folder is up to date by deleting the TOS file in the MOULa folder. So now I'm starting to wonder if rarified's MOULa installation was fully up to date when he made the checksums for Minkata.
rarified

Post by rarified »

I'm quite certain I was working from updated files (the file dates of the affected files were something like June 20th).

I'd be very surprised to find the old Minkata dat files worked successfully (as they did not for Tai'lahr).

I see from the server logs you have got the client running again now. If need be could you provide md5 checksums
of all your files in your current Minkata dat folder?

Edit: Actually deleting TOS merely makes the client verify every file in the installation instead of a select few if the TOS
file matches the existing manifest, so the client would not have tried to download anything that already matched.
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

I assume it should still be 912?
I'm seeing version.77 - is that a new one - afraid I've lost count!

(Treehugger in Minkata)

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”