Minkata Shard Update Saturday November 16, 2013

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Tai'lahr

Re: Minkata Shard Update Saturday November 16, 2013

Post by Tai'lahr »

Yes, I finally got into Minkata. I'm on Windows 7 and there seems to be some issues with not updating completely. In the end, I went back to MOULa to get an updated set of files by deleting the TOS & choosing to "Run as administrator" and doing the same two things when logging into Minkata. The fact that running as admin prompts it to ask permission to make changes to the computer tells me that maybe those changes aren't being allowed when not run as admin. But, I'm a technofeeb, so that's just a wild guess. ;)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I suspect that part of the problem might lie in what happened around the time of the 916/918 update on MOULa - If you recall, 916 failed and had to be rolled back, then a few days later 918 was released. It's possible that anyone who picked up the 916 update during the short window while it was available on the servers and the cavern was closed to explorers (e.g. those involved in the verification, or who were "quick on the trigger" during the update) maybe didn't get rolled back properly, hence the out-of-sync files. Anyone who's fully refreshed their MOULa files since 918 probably won't have any issue.

After deleting tos.txt in MOULa and restarting, I got an update of around 60MB. I then copied the dat folder over to Minkata and got another small update on starting the Minkata client. I didn't need to delete the tos.txt file on Minkata, but your mileage may vary - if you don't see a small update on Minkata on first use after copying in the new dat folder (may happen if you've already tried to update Minkata unsuccessfully) then you probably do need to delete the Minkata tos.txt and try again (it'll likely "work" without doing that but you may find yourself sartorially limited compared to other players ;)).
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Mac_Fife wrote:I suspect that part of the problem might lie in what happened around the time of the 916/918 update on MOULa - If you recall, 916 failed and had to be rolled back, then a few days later 918 was released. It's possible that anyone who picked up the 916 update during the short window while it was available on the servers and the cavern was closed to explorers (e.g. those involved in the verification...) maybe didn't get rolled back properly, hence the out-of-sync files.
Okay, that makes sense. At first read, I felt like I'd been penalized for being a tester, but then I spun that around to feel like I'd earned my stripes as a tester. :D Working my way towards :geek: membership. ;)
rarified

Post by rarified »

Tai'lahr wrote:Okay, that makes sense. At first read, I felt like I'd been penalized for being a tester, but then I spun that around to feel like I'd earned my stripes as a tester. :D Working my way towards :geek: membership. ;)
And a fine tester you made for this fumble fingered shard mangler. 8-)
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

maybe OpenUru could endorse its testers and then recommend them to Cyan for use in Obduction! (If you'd want to do that, Tai' - now you've earned your stripes :P - but it might spoil the game for you I suppose).

I'd vote for janaba too, as another gold star tester....

(Treehugger in Minkata)
janaba

Post by janaba »

Treehugger wrote:maybe OpenUru could endorse its testers and then recommend them to Cyan for use in Obduction! (If you'd want to do that, Tai' - now you've earned your stripes :P - but it might spoil the game for you I suppose).
I'd vote for janaba too, as another gold star tester....
We have been recommended already, that's why we've been the testers for the latest updates on MOULa ... thanks a lot, nevertheless ... :P

Besides that I'd like to add, our precious Treehugger alias Acorn, you are running around, roaming the forums and voting for and thumbing up everyone, and who's voting for you ... ;) ... I am voting for you and your extraordinary efforts and contributions to keep up the good vibes everywhere and encourage everyone and being an awesome and diligent tester as well ... Yeah, I vote for Acorn/Treehugger ... :D
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

And, I'll vote for both of you as well, but I don't think it will do us much good. It appears they sold the Beta Tester slots during the funding campaign. ;)

From the $10,000 "Experience Design at Cyan " Kickstarter Campaign Tier:
As the production progresses, you'll be one of the first to play an early build and provide feedback to the design team via Skype. You'll continue to receive project updates from the producer along with exclusive updated builds that you'll be able to play.
:lol:

But, seriously, I'll bet the list of trusted beta testers for Obduction will be even shorter than it was for the return of MOUL and we might not make the cut. I could guess who might, but let's not go there. ;)
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

aah, what a dynamic and supportive threesome we are! :mrgreen:

If I am encouraging, janaba, and I do try to be, it's because I learned a wonderful lesson from watching you on the forums!

If I were Cyan, I wouldn't rely on testing done by people who can afford $10,000 - such people would probably delegate the work to their butlers. :lol: I'm sure you're right, Tai', that they've got all that stitched up already. Still, it was a good thought!

sorry, mods, REALLY off topic once again!

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

OK, back on topic :)

I asked earlier in the thread whether there was anything special we should be looking for as we play this update; and, since it's an interim position, how seriously do you want it to be tested?

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Treehugger wrote:sorry, mods, REALLY off topic once again!
Mods??? Plural???

There is nothing new in the client code so nothing really to test beyond getting over the initial update hurdles. It's more of an "enabler" to allow new players to participate and existing players to create fresh installs. Once the merge back of Cyan's build 918 has been dealt with there will be a bit of reverification to do, then we can start pulling in new features again.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”