Minkata Shard Update Thursday December 12, 2013

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

rarified

Minkata Shard Update Thursday December 12, 2013

Post by rarified »

I'm pleased to announce the the Minkata shard's first appearance of Fan Content at OpenUru.org.

Chloe Rhodes designed and modeled Cyan's Obduction logo for a T-shirt (as mentioned in this MOULa forum post) to be included in MOULa. She was also kind enough to include bonus T-shirt designs for other fan groups in MOULa.

The first attempt to add these designs into MOULa ran into some trouble and had to be backed out before the T-shirts could be enjoyed. Chloe revised her contribution and asked us to host the updated content on Minkata for additional testing while Cyan looks for the next opportunity to add the content to MOULa. This updated content (T-shirt designs) is what is included in this update and addresses some QA requests from Cyan.

If your Minkata installation has been updated with data files from the current MOULa installation (build 1.918, more info here) you will have the new T-shirt designs available as soon as you start the Minkata client.

Issues to look for are visual anomalies around the shirt logos. They overlay a blank T-shirt and should appear to be part of it. Also, earlier testing on MOULa spotted some issues with hair texturing when viewed from some angles.

Advanced: Cyan found a strange anomaly that might help with testing. The clothing module just loads all the Global Clothing prp files without regards to the .age file. So, someone could just copy the prp file to the data directory and, viola, they will have the new clothes - but other clients that don't have that clothing should see it as the default clothing. This needs testing to confirm.

Please report problems or differences you notice in the avatars to this thread.

Be sure to thank Chloe for putting this together and taking the time to make sure it works!

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Treehugger

Re: Minkata Shard Update Thursday December 12, 2013

Post by Treehugger »

rarified wrote:I'm pleased to announce the the Minkata shard's first appearance of Fan Content at OpenUru.org.

This updated content (T-shirt designs) is what is included in this update and addresses some QA requests from Cyan.

_R
woo-hoo! Lovely, thank you, rarified and Chloe! But Is there more in the package than just the t-shirt designs? I don't remember
Spoiler
the cropped top or the beret
being there before, but is it just that I have not been paying attention? :D I DO remember Chloe saying something about a new
Spoiler
hair style
:lol: when she was originally working up her clothing package, which is why I was looking more closely than usual.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

I sneaked into my wardrobe this morning and was torned between joy & deception...

Upper Body Options:

I'm really happy that new t-shirt designs made their ways into the wardrobe. I identified 5 of them but I cannot see who's their creator...

1) LGBT shirt: It should come from the TOC MOUL server but I have no idea who brought it there in the first place?

2) Clover: I have no idea.

3) Obduction: ... Well this one, I would say Chloe by taking a snapshot of Cyan's own design with the accord of Cyan.

4) Subterranean Restoration: 1st time I hear about this mysterious society ?!?

5) Guild of the Illumination: 1st time I hear about this mysterious guild ?!?

We have also a brand new Leather Jacket of the Subterranean Restoration...

On the bad part:

We do not have any new Sweat Hoodies with new design. It would have been nice to be able to choose between hoodies & t-shirts.

On a very bad part... I'm not at ease with that ... hmm... "belly shirt". It's too much in my opinion :shock: We have had enough discussion in the past concerning harassments without having "sexy" avatars like we can find in SL for instance. Now you are proposing an outfit made of a tank top. Half the belly is completely naked. I'm really really not at ease with this change.

Hair options:

I only see 1 brand new option: the beret :lol: I might be wearing it if I have a big migraine as it looks like a head relief bag :lol: ;) (I'm kidding)
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Ah, I'm glad my memory was not playing tricks, thanks Annabelle!
Annabelle wrote:
We do not have any new Sweat Hoodies with new design. It would have been nice to be able to choose between hoodies & t-shirts.

and could we have the logos on the long sleeve t-shirt too? :D

And Ainia and I wanted Rand's pink robe coupled with bunny slippers.... The moon would be nice too, if someone could get that for me! :lol:

I don't want to sound ungrateful, because it's really great to have taken this first step.

I won't be wearing the cropped top - too draughty for one thing - I guess I'm a bit
Annabelle wrote:torned between joy & deception
too: do I want to deny those women who do like to wear cropped tops in RL the chance to style their avvies closer to RL? I've not experienced harassment in Uru, happily, but should women have to change their preferred style because there are nasty idiots around? Maybe we need to hear from whomever asked for this design.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Annabelle wrote:On a very bad part... I'm not at ease with that ... hmm... "belly shirt". It's too much in my opinion :shock: We have had enough discussion in the past concerning harassments without having "sexy" avatars like we can find in SL for instance. Now you are proposing an outfit made of a tank top. Half the belly is completely naked. I'm really really not at ease with this change.
Agreed. I'm not comfortable with something like this being in MOULa. It just seems very inappropriate for the family friendly cavern. Trust me, I'm not being prudish here; I've become quite comfortable with seeing much more (worse) than this in SL and would even wear something like this there. But, I'd like to see MOULa remain more family-oriented and this is just not conducive to maintaining that kind of atmosphere.
Treehugger wrote:do I want to deny those women who do like to wear cropped tops in RL the chance to style their avvies closer to RL?
If someone wants to dress like that, send them to Second Life.

Also, once again, I maintain that any additions should be made based on popular demand. If there's no demand for an item, then it's just clutter in the wardrobe.
janaba

Post by janaba »

This sounds all so funny and hilarious, I really have to take a closer look myself after breakfast ... :lol:
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Something is not quite right here.

Not many people know this but in fact the November 16 Minkata update already contained the new clothing. However... that was the version which also had those copyrighted items which forced Cyan to roll back. :(

I just noticed that the launcher does NOT update my files from November! So anyone who has previously done the November Minkata update must delete their TOS.txt file in the Minkata installation folder in order to receive the correct version of these clothing files!

@rarified: Can you make this a forced update which does not require the removal of TOS.txt? I guess this is a drawback of not properly incrementing your client. ;)
rarified

Post by rarified »

While not necessarily behaving as desired, your experience is understandable. The clothing data files are only listed in the full update manifest, but not in the thin manifest. The patcher wouldn't see the difference between the server copy (updated) and your already installed client unless something listed in the thin manifest changed (such as removing TOS.txt). The use of an abbreviated manifest as the initial update check is an optimization to keep startup times short.

I'll see if altering the time stamps on TOS.txt will be sufficient to force an update. But only about four people updated their clients on Nov 16th with the first copy of the new clothing before I removed the update because we found additional designs in the content beyond the Obduction shirt. You are the last to re-update your client from that period 8-)

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

I'm not sure what I've done :lol: ... When I tried to update the shard, it said I missed a file in the Cleft, so I just deleted the whole dat folder & replaced it with the latest dat folder of MOULa & re-applied the update, it worked fine from there.

I don't even know if I had upgraded to version 76 or not in November.../me is totally lost :mrgreen:

----

Adding to the "Belly shirt" discussion.

We are calling ourselves "explorers". We are suppose to explore a cavern, not taking a sunbath on the beachfront, or doing some jogging on the boardwalk... In such cases, in RL, it would be just fine.
Annabelle-Sophie KI 4247 & Annabelle KI 5152 both members of DRC (2) :) & the lovable Grr KI 106414 sole member of Grr's Hood
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

As I said, I'm not going to dress my avvies up in the cropped top - but nor will I dress them in the short shorts - do people think the shorts are appropriate? Should they be removed? Where does the censorship start and where does it stop? :roll:

Before any decisions are taken on the top, we should hear the case for the defence. Maybe Chloe could contact that person and encourage them to contribute to the discussion.

(Treehugger in Minkata)

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”