Minkata Shard Update December 14th, 2015 (Build 82, updated to Build 88)

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Tai'lahr

Re: Minkata Shard Update December 14th, 2015 (Build 82)

Post by Tai'lahr »

• [Lyrositor] Fix KI chat scrolling issues
    - Tested and works as intended. Typed a lot of lines of text; scrolled up and typed another line of text; text did not move.
  • [D'Lanor] Add additional confirmation to perform an Avatar delete
    - Tested and seems to work as intended, but the delay after touching the second confirmation button is long enough to make one wonder if the touch was registered.
    Also fixes a problem with the hotspot and highlight colors going crazy after canceling an avatar deletion.
    - I'm not sure what this part refers to, but after deleting the avatar, I noticed that three of the four remaining avatars had the picture highlighted (blue). Scrolling over the first one didn't change it and scrolling over the second & third pictures unhighlighted them. The fourth avatar picture was normal - not highlighted until scrolled over. The list returned to normal after creating a new avatar.
  • [D'Lanor] Add /deletefolder command to delete Journal folders
    - Tested and seems to work as intended. Also attempted to delete a folder with something in it and rec'd a message that the folder was "NOT deleted because it is not empty!" Whew. :) Since the folders are initially created on the first visit to an age/area, I was concerned that they would simply repopulate whenever the place was visited again. Tested this by deleting the Nexus and revisiting it; it did not automatically re-add to the KI. Revisited the Nexus again and took a KI shot; this did re-add the Nexus folder to the KI, but the KI shot didn't take (first KI shot failure is something that's been happening for quite some time now). The second KI shot did register in the KI.
  • [Christian Walther] Bump a public neighborhood to top of list when someone links to it
    - I thought I could test this simply by looking at the Public list after having just visited my new avatar's hood, but the hood had been set to private. I knew that making it public again would "toggle" it to the top and the results wouldn't tell me what I wanted to know. However, it didn't appear at the top, but in fifth place down the list. I then visited DRC (10) which was near the bottom and it did not rise on the list.
  • [Adam Johnson, Christian Walther] Improve text rendering (fonts) in KI settings pages
    - Tested this in sunny Tsogal and it the text is indeed easier to read against bright backgrounds.
  • [Christian Walther] Don't crash when http://support.cyanworlds.com is not available when starting game
    This fixes the crash that keeps Windows 7 users out of the game when support.cyanworlds.com is down
    - I have Win7, so I'll try to remember to try logging in the next time I know the support site is down.
  • [Christian Walther]Fix stuck-in-intro-cave bug
    - Tested and worked as intended.

Note: There still is a vault issue with the Descent age. Linking there will likely take you to a blank screen which will be difficult to get out of.
    - Yep, limbo. :mrgreen:
jamie marchant

Post by jamie marchant »

assuming most people only use the shard after updates, how easy is it too modify the client so that it copies the new files from a MOUla install at each update? A persons MOULa install folder should be found in the Windows registry.
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Tai'lahr wrote:Also fixes a problem with the hotspot and highlight colors going crazy after canceling an avatar deletion.
- I'm not sure what this part refers to, but after deleting the avatar, I noticed that three of the four remaining avatars had the picture highlighted (blue). Scrolling over the first one didn't change it and scrolling over the second & third pictures unhighlighted them. The fourth avatar picture was normal - not highlighted until scrolled over. The list returned to normal after creating a new avatar.
It refers a problem similar to what you are experiencing. However, I only changed the behavior of the Cancel button. My workaround, if I remember correctly, was simply to not only refresh the avatar selection screen after pressing OK (which should already happen by default) but also after pressing Cancel. I did not touch the highlighting code itself since making that more fail safe would be rather complicated.
If you want to see just how messed up the highlighting used to get after canceling you can go to Cyan's MOULa shard, start deleting one of your avatars there and press cancel. And don't forget that the second chance dialog has not been implemented there yet. ;)
Tai'lahr wrote:Since the folders are initially created on the first visit to an age/area, I was concerned that they would simply repopulate whenever the place was visited again. Tested this by deleting the Nexus and revisiting it; it did not automatically re-add to the KI. Revisited the Nexus again and took a KI shot; this did re-add the Nexus folder to the KI, but the KI shot didn't take (first KI shot failure is something that's been happening for quite some time now). The second KI shot did register in the KI.
Actually, that Nexus folder should have been re-created at the next visit. A Moss quirk perhaps? Or was this KI behavior changed somewhere along the line?
Tai'lahr wrote:Note: There still is a vault issue with the Descent age. Linking there will likely take you to a blank screen which will be difficult to get out of.
Is there? I linked to Descent successfully two days ago. It was a new instance though since my avatar has its own neighborhood.
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Treehugger wrote: Ok, so I renamed the tmp file, rebooted, then tried to launch. It didn't launch, nothing shows in "applications", the UruLauncher.exe appears in "processes", but interestingly, shortly afterwards, two more UruLauncher.exe processes appeared in "processes", making three in all - just like the three tmp versions I previously saw. Each uses no processor and the same 104k memory. (The "true" launcher uses 4000k memory, when it's listed in applications but is failing to launch - clearly this didn't happen this time.)

I'll now put things back the way they were - hope you learned something, D'Lanor!
I'm afraid not. Just that something must be wrong with that laptop of yours, considering the same thing happens with the Gehn client. :( Hopefully the clever folks at GoW can offer assistance.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

D'Lanor wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:Note: There still is a vault issue with the Descent age. Linking there will likely take you to a blank screen which will be difficult to get out of.
Is there? I linked to Descent successfully two days ago. It was a new instance though since my avatar has its own neighborhood.
This seems to affect new avatars that haven't previously visited descent. My "old" avatar can get to Descent OK too. Rarified has a handle on what's causing the problem but is still trying to work out the best way to fix the database.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

D'Lanor wrote:
Treehugger wrote:

I'll now put things back the way they were - hope you learned something, D'Lanor!
I'm afraid not. Just that something must be wrong with that laptop of yours, considering the same thing happens with the Gehn client. :( Hopefully the clever folks at GoW can offer assistance.
I do hope not - both shards used to work on it until their most recent updates, and MOULa still works. :roll:

Deledrius says he sees the UruExplorer/patcher problem too and that it needs investigating.

Thanks for your help, D'Lanor, it's just a shame that I can't do any testing!

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

D'Lanor wrote:
Treehugger wrote:Yup. The three weird uru tmp processes (most recently labelled uru2E40.tmp) won't delete, so I reboot to get rid of them. I discovered just now that they appear in task manager (in the list of processes) a couple of minutes after the launcher gets to work. I assume they are signs that the launcher is trying to do something but failing.
Hmm, that is new. So you are saying that Windows is running the tmp file as a process? Strange.
Not strange, rather, expected. The tmp file is the new version of the launcher. The old launcher can't be overrwritten, so it runs the new one, which then copies itself over the old UruLauncher.exe. ;)

What I'm understanding is that we have a broken download of the new launcher. Given that UruLauncher has been completely rewritten from the ground up in the H-uru codebase and we see the issue on both shards, I am inclined to label this a PC-specific issue and am continuing my troubleshooting on the GoW forum.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

rarified wrote:
D'Lanor wrote:On a possibly related note, I found an unexpected behavior in the Minkata shard client. The proper way to start the game is by running UruLauncher.exe. However, when a user accidentally starts up UruExplorer.exe it should correct this error by launching UruLauncher.exe and quitting itself. This no longer happens with the latest Minkata client. Instead I get an error message "Failed to launch patcher" while UruLauncher.exe exists in the same folder.
Interesting... I can't think of what may be happening, I may have to trace it out. Right now building a debug client under VS 2003 .NET is messed up, the solution files were not kept in sync over some changes.
I duplicated this last night. Rarifed had me delete tos.txt first.
Perfect speed is being there.
janeerah

Post by janeerah »

And if i may ask...

what about the jumping explorers age list ?
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

janeerah wrote:what about the jumping explorers age list ?
If it's not listed in the top post then it's (probably) not included in this build. This is clearing a heap of things that have been on the back burner for several months. More will come.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”