Minkata Shard Update December 14th, 2015 (Build 82, updated to Build 88)

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Treehugger

Re: Minkata Shard Update December 14th, 2015 (Build 82)

Post by Treehugger »

hhhenry wrote:Cannot get to Phil's relto
Because I cant reset the gates in Teladahn. I can get thru the gates to the end but when I return, they are numb. I can do it with my existing avie but not with the new one I built for testing. I flip the boards, nothing. I go around to the other side and shift stones, nothing. Logout and log back in, still nope.
Hhhenry, I was able to get to Phil's Relto today by using the infamous cheat/glitch, which allows you to find and click on the hotspot even when the wall cupboard is closed. ;) But I'll try it the proper way and see if I have your problems.

Edited: I've just completed Teledahn the "correct" way with my new avvie. The slave cave floor plates and the wall cupboard all behaved properly for me.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Christian Walther wrote:On another note, since we appear to be having multiple database-related problems (black Descent link, avatar deletion delay, neighborhoods not sorted), how about a vault wipe? On a testing shard like Minkata I wouldn’t consider that outrageous. If we’re only looking to patch the symptoms, that would probably be the easiest way to get rid of any database corruption. Or is there hope of finding and fixing what caused them?
If no one replies to your suggestion, I suspect it's okay with the world. But I'd be interested in seeing the replies of the more dedicated testers.

Also, is this a fundamental MOSS issue or a testing issue where some test code damaged the database before it was fixed? The answer to that would also sway my opinion; the ability to fix a database issue might warrant keeping it if there's a recurrent instability that cannot be more immediately fixed in code.

That said, this is a test shard. We can't get too comfy. We have to be willing to whack at it.
Perfect speed is being there.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

JWPlatt wrote:
Christian Walther wrote:On another note, since we appear to be having multiple database-related problems (black Descent link, avatar deletion delay, neighborhoods not sorted), how about a vault wipe? On a testing shard like Minkata I wouldn’t consider that outrageous. If we’re only looking to patch the symptoms, that would probably be the easiest way to get rid of any database corruption. Or is there hope of finding and fixing what caused them?
If no one replies to your suggestion, I suspect it's okay with the world. But I'd be interested in seeing the replies of the more dedicated testers.

Also, is this a fundamental MOSS issue or a testing issue where some test code damaged the database before it was fixed? The answer to that would also sway my opinion; the ability to fix a database issue might warrant keeping it if there's a recurrent instability that cannot be more immediately fixed in code.

That said, this is a test shard. We can't get too comfy. We have to be willing to whack at it.
If a wipe would help, you have my vote to go for it! :mrgreen:

edited - oh, and good idea, Tai'!

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Tai', from your MOUL post I get the impression that maybe my suggestion of a vault wipe came across a bit more authoritative than intended. :) I am not advocating a vault wipe and I don’t have any technical evidence that it would be a useful thing to do (I haven’t even had time to do any testing of my own), it was just a random idea. My post was actually more aimed at rarified than at testers, it is his call to make whether that option would save him work and not jeopardize any intent to find the root causes of the problems. And, of course, the testers’ opinions should be taken into consideration then.
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

I'm sorry if I gave that impression, Christian. My post wasn't a response to yours, specifically. There was a behind-the-scenes discussion which began with rarified saying your suggestion was sort of appealing to him and ended with his approval of my post before I made it.

I should add that he is looking for feedback before making the decision and is planning to keep a back up of the old vault just in case we need to go back.
Last edited by Tai'lahr on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I'm in two minds about Christian's suggestion:
On the one hand it's a quick fix (hopefully) to the DB issues and at the very outset we said wipes (and prolonged outages) were likely (viewtopic.php?f=108&t=669): We haven't really had either, so that's a bit of a bonus I suppose.
On the other hand, "mature" avvies can get through some of the testing faster since they have access to most if not all of the ages, Relto pages, etc., on top of which there's a risk that some testers might be put off by having to "run the ages" yet again. Some have done a lot of that already across various shards, and it's easy to weary of it.

At the end of the day, rarified has to run the shard and it's down to what works best for him, but he said he'd like to know how much of a push back there'd be from the testers if he did go down the vault wipe route. It's not a done deal yet.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Ah, okay. Glad we’re back on the same page then. :lol:
janaba

Post by janaba »

As I am out of the testing business anyway, phew, and I'm so glad that I've mentioned it before already so that there'll be no direct relation to the impending wipe, it only remains for me to wish you the best of luck and success in whatever way you choose to proceed, rarified and the whole OpenUru team ... :P

Taking Christian's assessment of the situation into consideration and your almost immediately being pleased with the prospect of a clean and fresh setup of the vault, and you might very well know why lol, this sounds and feels like the most comfortable and reasonable option to proceed ... So again, good luck everyone, have all a great time, bye bye for now ... :D
charura

Post by charura »

rarified wrote: charura wrote:
Fifth attempt after shut down and re-start.... same as 2-3-4

Well, don't waste any more time doing the same thing. Let me look at the log, and I will give you the name of a particular file that I would like you to check the properties on (both in the UruLive folder and the Minkata folder).

_R
Since this was written a few days ago and I haven't heard anything, I'd go along with the vault wipe to save rarified anymore wasted time on my issue...Maybe it'll help?

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”