Minkata Shard Update December 14th, 2015 (Build 82, updated to Build 88)

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Mac_Fife

Re: Minkata Shard Update December 14th, 2015 (Build 82, updated to Build 88)

Post by Mac_Fife »

I suspect Norton would still be a PITA :roll:
But yeah, if you're not a registered business or educational establishment, getting a code signing certificate through one the main authority chains is pretty challenging. And costly.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

As I carry on testing, I was thinking of posting an observation about how jerkily the Gahreesen rotations seem to be working. It's especially noticeable if you're on the rock in the middle, waiting for the gangway to come round. But then I saw this post by Hoikas: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=955 so I guess this is both a known issue and one for which a fix is available :lol:

The other observation is that the camera in Eder Kemo keeps sticking - you can click to first person to complete the age, so it's not a game-critical problem, but it's annoying when it swoops, gut-wrenchingly, when you're not expecting it. You end up staring at the wall beside the journey cloth that you have to walk up the sloping wall to get to (sorry, don't know how else to describe it.) Given the other camera problems were fixed, it's a shame to have found this one.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I think Hoikas' fixes are more for the avatar animations (I may be wrong). I was going to check on your Gahreesen observation, but I'm currently finding the shard server seems to be running a bit slow in general right now :?
Mac_Fife
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Treehugger wrote:the camera in Eder Kemo keeps sticking - you can click to first person to complete the age, so it's not a game-critical problem, but it's annoying when it swoops, gut-wrenchingly, when you're not expecting it. You end up staring at the wall beside the journey cloth that you have to walk up the sloping wall to get to (sorry, don't know how else to describe it.)
I visited Eder Kemo, specifically this Journey Cloth to test this out and couldn't recreate it. I had no issues with the camera there. The camera does move, but I think it's only the way it was intended.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Hmm, I'm not able to confirm either the Gahreesen animation jerkiness or the misbehaving camera in Kemo. Both seemed to be behaving quite normally, so I suspect it's a "local" issue. Perhaps if you re-check these on a later visit, maybe after re-starting the client, then we can look to see if it's something that is persistent.
Mac_Fife
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

RE: Jerky Gahreesen. Doesn't OU still have the 30fps limit? There is a problem with the way that is implemented. The rate limiter renders 30 frames in one second and then waits until the next second to render any more. Really, really old computers will never encounter that issue, but any reasonably modern computer will have a noticeable hitch about every second because the game is displaying frames at odd intervals. Smooth movement is dependent on displaying enough frames to trick the brain into perceiving movement and a regular interval for smoothness.

There are two options for fixing this: remove the limiter entirely (this is what we did in H-uru) or changing the limiter to a scheduler to ensure that frames are drawn at regular intervals.
Tai'lahr wrote:
Treehugger wrote:the camera in Eder Kemo keeps sticking - you can click to first person to complete the age, so it's not a game-critical problem, but it's annoying when it swoops, gut-wrenchingly, when you're not expecting it. You end up staring at the wall beside the journey cloth that you have to walk up the sloping wall to get to (sorry, don't know how else to describe it.)
I visited Eder Kemo, specifically this Journey Cloth to test this out and couldn't recreate it. I had no issues with the camera there. The camera does move, but I think it's only the way it was intended.
Camera issues, and this one in particular, are tricky to reproduce. I've seen this one a lot on Gehn builds. One way to trigger it is to link in to that journey in particular. You will need to run away from the alcove and back toward the starting area to see this one. Mind you, I haven't even updated my Minkata install, I'm just recounting other, similar experiences.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Thanks, all - I can reliably reproduce the camera bug BUT I now discover that it's specific to the new avvie I've been using to test the build(s). :oops: Sorry, I should have done more testing before reporting it. I've got an even more recent avvie and so far it hasn't happened for that one; nor for my older ones.

Hoikas has accurately described the jerkiness - maybe I was just too used to seeing it running smoothly in Gehn! ;)

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

The jerkiness is interesting. I thought the frame rate limit was addressed a while back, around the time of the PhysX changes, but maybe not. I used to have a "really old" PC which, as Hoikas noted, wouldn't exhibit the problem but my current one is decently modern, if not exactly "top spec" and I'm still not seeing the issue.
Mac_Fife
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Mac_Fife wrote:The jerkiness is interesting. I thought the frame rate limit was addressed a while back, around the time of the PhysX changes, but maybe not. I used to have a "really old" PC which, as Hoikas noted, wouldn't exhibit the problem but my current one is decently modern, if not exactly "top spec" and I'm still not seeing the issue.
I particularly noticed it when about to jump onto one of the gangways leading to the building with the conference rooms (I think it's called the fortress) - ie when a gangway is close to the avi's position, on the rock with the journey cloth. The jerkiness is greatest as the gangway arrives and as it leaves (if you don't jump). This is using my win7 laptop so not a particularly high-spec computer. I'll take another look with my better laptop, if I can get Minkata to work on it.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I let several of those go by before jumping onto one of the gangways. I should try it again and fire up FRAPS to get a frame rate display as it's quite possible I'm not nudging the 30fps cap. Running FRAPS will probably knock the frame rate down a bit but it should still give me an indication.
Mac_Fife

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”