Minkata Shard Update December 14th, 2015 (Build 82, updated to Build 88)

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

rarified

Minkata Shard Update December 14th, 2015 (Build 82, updated to Build 88)

Post by rarified »

[Update: A new build #88 has been installed on the server, but I'd like to continue discussion of that build on this thread please]

I'm happy to announce a new update to the Minkata shard: Build 82. This build has been in limbo since the beginning of 2015 while some other work has been underway in streamlining the client update process between Minkata and MOULa (as well as some significant RL detours).

Build 82 is ready for you to use. If you already have installed the Minkata client, just run the launcher as usual and it will update any files on your machine that require updates. If you have not installed the Minkata client and are interested in testing, visit http://foundry.openuru.org and follow the instructions about accessing the Minkata Testing Shard.

I'll try to summarize the changes appearing in this update (since MOULa was updated to build 918) but Christian may correct me and/or provide more details about each feature:
  • [Lyrositor] Fix KI chat scrolling issues
    This fixes a common gripe with KI chat, which has a tendency to scroll down when someone else sends a chat message, even if you have scrolled up.
  • [D'Lanor] Add additional confirmation to perform an Avatar delete
    Suppose you want to quit MOULa but instead of the quit button you hit the delete button by mistake? (which after all is only a few pixels away) You see a confirmation dialog but since you are under the impression that you are quitting you confirm without reading it... And oops, there goes the avatar that took you many days, even months, to build. Apparently this happens more often than you may think. See this discussion on the MOULa forums: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26127
    I modified the python script so that it now displays a second confirmation dialog after the first one. A user who has hit the wrong button should then notice that the game is not quitting and (hopefully) pay attention to the message onscreen.
    Also fixes a problem with the hotspot and highlight colors going crazy after canceling an avatar deletion.
    How to test: 1. Create a test avatar 2. Log out 3. Select the test avatar and hit delete 4. In the first confirmation dialog press "Yes" 5. In the second confirmation dialog press "Cancel". Your test avatar should still be there. 6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 7. In the second confirmation dialog press "Yes". Your test avatar should be gone.
  • [D'Lanor] Add /deletefolder command to delete Journal folders
    Some of the MOULa ages had their names changed through fan fixes. This has left early MOULa avatars with obsolete age journal folders. And apparently on MOULa the KI can also get filled with nonsense age journal folders if you visit the fun house or make use of bots. Just to be clear: Age journal folders are the folders holding your KI notes, images and marker games.
    The /deletefolder command allows you to delete those redundant age journal folders from your KI. It does not touch any other type of KI folder, nor does it remove the Incoming folder, which would be bad(tm).
    How to test: To delete a folder named Bevin for example type /deletefolder Bevin
  • [Christian Walther] Bump a public neighborhood to top of list when someone links to it
    ... Public neighborhoods that are in active use stay (near the top) on the list in the Nexus, even after their owners disappear (as is the case for the numerous dedicated Delin & Tsogal hoods that have been made over time.)
  • [Adam Johnson, Christian Walther] Improve text rendering (fonts) in KI settings pages
    [This makes] the text of the mini KI (player list and chat) better readable on light and patterned backgrounds. [It also removes the text shadowing on Big KI pages for better readability]
  • [Christian Walther] Don't crash when http://support.cyanworlds.com is not available when starting game
    This fixes the crash that keeps Windows 7 users out of the game when support.cyanworlds.com is down
  • [Mac_Fife] Fix for forgotten logins when removable media attached
    This fixes the problem where your saved login/password disappears (seemingly out of the blue), but was related to how the game was trying to ignore removable media on the machine where the game is installed.
  • [Christian Walther] Replace non-ASCII characters in C++ files
    This fix is internal code changes not visible to the player
  • [Christian Walther]Fix stuck-in-intro-cave bug
    Fix the bug where a new player is stuck in the intro cave with the rotating wall until it occurs to them to press the esc key.
Note: There still is a vault issue with the Descent age. Linking there will likely take you to a blank screen which will be difficult to get out of. I'll announce when that issue is resolved.

Have fun, and reply to this topic with any issues you find!
_R
Last edited by rarified on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Hoikas

Re: Minkata Shard Update December 14th, 2015 (Build 82)

Post by Hoikas »

This is nice, but we need to make sure the WinHTTP and bink player stub fixes get in. Those are the most pressing issues with the MOULa client ;)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Thanks Hoikas. I think those fixes are in this build (can't check, I'm on a bus to work just now), but if not they'll get in on the next cut - we know the importance of those.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Afraid I can't get beyond "downloading patcher" - am trying on my Win 7 laptop. Have tried rebooting. Assistance gratefully received!

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Yeah, it looks like this list only includes the changes to MOULSCRIPT, not those to CWE, and some of them are internal parts of other features. I can write a better list, but it will likely take me a few days until I can make time for it. If someone else wants to take over in the meantime, you know where to find the code, and the pull request discussions and commit messages should provide enough context. It’s just a matter of spending an hour to piece it all together and word it in a player-centric way.

Treehugger, for lack of time I’ll refer you to rarified, who can also look at things from the server side if needed.
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Treehugger wrote:Afraid I can't get beyond "downloading patcher" - am trying on my Win 7 laptop. Have tried rebooting. Assistance gratefully received!
Are you getting an error or does it just stop? Have you tried to run the program as administrator?
charura

Post by charura »

D'Lanor wrote: Treehugger wrote:
Afraid I can't get beyond "downloading patcher" - am trying on my Win 7 laptop. Have tried rebooting. Assistance gratefully received!

Are you getting an error or does it just stop? Have you tried to run the program as administrator?

Happened to me also, Stops. No error message. URU Launcher Approx. Time Remaining 34 min 5 sec
Update Remaining 56.5 MB

Second and third tries.. Error message... Uru Launcher unable to create file. Hard Drive may be full.
I have 503 GB free, so I know that's not the case.
BTW...This is a new install of Minkata Shard, so my problem may be different than Treehugger because they mention 'patcher' which leads me to believe they already had Minkata Shard working before the update.
Last edited by charura on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rarified

Post by rarified »

charura wrote:Happened to me also, Stops. No error message. URU Launcher Approx. Time Remaining 34 min 5 sec
Update Remaining 56.5 MB

Second and third tries.. Error message... Uru Launcher unable to create file. Hard Drive may be full.
I have 503 GB free, so I know that's not the case.
That is far too big for the update size, something else is going on. I am not yet at my desk to look at the logs, but my first thought is that you may need to copy the dat/sfx/avi folders from your MOULa installation into the Minkata folder again.

_R
jamie marchant

Post by jamie marchant »

Hoikas wrote: This is nice, but we need to make sure the WinHTTP and bink player stub fixes get in. Those are the most pressing issues with the MOULa client ;)
Mac_Fith wrote: Thanks Hoikas. I think those fixes are in this build (can't check, I'm on a bus to work just now), but if not they'll get in on the next cut - we know the importance of those.
I don't think the bink issue has been fixed since I did not see the intro video :(. Also http://support.openuru.org needs to be updated with the new build as an option in the 'Product' box.(I will be reporting an issue unralted to the ones discussed here.)
rarified

Post by rarified »

jamie marchant wrote:I don't think the bink issue has been fixed since I did not see the intro video :(. Also http://support.openuru.org needs to be updated with the new build as an option in the 'Product' box.(I will be reporting an issue unralted to the ones discussed here.)
The current BINK workaround does not yet replace the intro video, but it does skip the wait at the moving background image when starting the client.

I'm working on a better feature list right now. I'll look into adding the new build to the support system.

_R

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”