Minkata Shard Update December 14th, 2015 (Build 82, updated to Build 88)

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Treehugger

Re: Minkata Shard Update December 14th, 2015 (Build 82)

Post by Treehugger »

D'Lanor wrote:
Treehugger wrote:Afraid I can't get beyond "downloading patcher" - am trying on my Win 7 laptop. Have tried rebooting. Assistance gratefully received!
Are you getting an error or does it just stop? Have you tried to run the program as administrator?
Hi D'Lanor, no, there is no error message, the progress bar starts as normal and ticks up a few times but then the whole thing simply hangs, with progress less than 10%. Unlike Charura, I never get a notification of how big the download is or how long it is expected to take. And I've tried setting it going as administrator just now, and it's the same problem.

Task Manager shows urulauncher.exe is using no CPU and 4304k memory. It also shows three processes called uru7B18.tmp, also using no processor capacity and 108k memory each. Not sure if this is useful intel or not!

Thanks for all/any help!

Acorn/Treehugger

(Treehugger in Minkata)
rarified

Post by rarified »

@TreeHugger -- you didn't respond to the question of whether you are running the update as an administrator or not.

Depending on where you placed your Minkata folder it may require administrative rights to write new files in that folder.
_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
rarified

Post by rarified »

@charura: I just looked at the logs, and yes -- your client is trying to obtain files for the dat/ folder in your Minkata installation from our shard server.

We aren't allowed to provide downloads for those files, which is why you need to copy them from an existing up-to-date MOULa installation. Try doing that again (overwrite any files in dat/ with the MOULa versions) and then run the Minkata launcher.
_R
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

jamie marchant wrote:http://support.openuru.org needs to be updated with the new build as an option in the 'Product' box.(I will be reporting an issue unrelated to the ones discussed here.)
I've added the new build as a product in Hesk (support.OpenUru.org).
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Christian was right, I didn't consult all the sources when building the feature list.

The first post has been updated with a better feature list as well as attributions to the fix. That list should cover what is in this update to Minkata, hopefully soon to be promoted to MOULa.

_R
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

rarified wrote:@TreeHugger -- you didn't respond to the question of whether you are running the update as an administrator or not.

Depending on where you placed your Minkata folder it may require administrative rights to write new files in that folder.
_R
Yes, I did, rarified, I said that I had just done so and got exactly the same result. :(

(Treehugger in Minkata)
rarified

Post by rarified »

Treehugger wrote:... And I've tried setting it going as administrator just now, and it's the same problem. ...
And I apparently can't read. My apologies :oops:

Ok, since you found some Uru tasks running, I hope you terminated them all. And -- using the task manager -- you looked at the list of "Processes" not "Applications"? There often are leftover processes after a hang. Those of course would not survive a reboot, but would affect repeated attempts between reboots.

Do you have a way to find out what your network IP address is? I can't be certain I've found your client's records in the server logs because you haven't yet gotten to the login page, and that information would be useful. Otherwise, noting the exact time you try and letting me know might work as well.

Thanks
_R
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

rarified wrote:
Treehugger wrote:... And I've tried setting it going as administrator just now, and it's the same problem. ...
And I apparently can't read. My apologies :oops:
No problem! :lol:
rarified wrote:Ok, since you found some Uru tasks running, I hope you terminated them all. And -- using the task manager -- you looked at the list of "Processes" not "Applications"? There often are leftover processes after a hang. Those of course would not survive a reboot, but would affect repeated attempts between reboots.
Yup. The three weird uru tmp processes (most recently labelled uru2E40.tmp) won't delete, so I reboot to get rid of them. I discovered just now that they appear in task manager (in the list of processes) a couple of minutes after the launcher gets to work. I assume they are signs that the launcher is trying to do something but failing.
rarified wrote:Do you have a way to find out what your network IP address is? I can't be certain I've found your client's records in the server logs because you haven't yet gotten to the login page, and that information would be useful. Otherwise, noting the exact time you try and letting me know might work as well.
Sorry, I'm an ignoramus. I'm visiting relatives right now, won't be back for a few days. But I just did a new trial, as administrator, following a reboot, at 18.03 UK time - same result as before. Shut down at 18.17. I had previously tried the Charura solution - copying over the dat folder - but as an ignoramus, it's possible that I copied the wrong file or put it in the wrong place, though I opened up MOULa first and this gave me dat files with today's date so it should have worked.
rarified wrote:Thanks
_R
no, thank you! :)

(Treehugger in Minkata)
janaba

Post by janaba »

Hi, everyone, that's quite an impressive update ... I've had no problems at all to download it and log in (yesterday night already), on a desktop pc with Win 7 HomePremium ... :P

It's a quick testing round to be made, so I've done that joyfully ... I don't remember if I've told you already that I'm not an avid tester anymore and intend to do no more testing rounds through the ages, but today I thought that might be accomplished quite fast and could be fun and it was lol ... 8-)

So, as to the first point
[Lyrositor] Fix KI chat scrolling issues
This fixes a common gripe with KI chat, which has a tendency to scroll down when someone else sends a chat message, even if you have scrolled up
--> this works astoundingly well and will be much appreciated on MOULa
I've entered several lines of chat text, scrolled it all up and then entered a few more lines, which didn't prompt the chat text to jump down to the new lines, it stayed right there where I've scrolled it up to, and the down arrow even blinked a few times, indicating that new chat lines have been added ... Wow, that's really awesome ...

[D'Lanor] Add additional confirmation to perform an Avatar delete
Suppose you want to quit MOULa but instead of the quit button you hit the delete button by mistake? (which after all is only a few pixels away) You see a confirmation dialog but since you are under the impression that you are quitting you confirm without reading it... And oops, there goes the avatar that took you many days, even months, to build.
--> this works great and is really not possible to go unnoticed anymore unless someone would do that quite 'blindly', means e.g. while talking to someone else etc ...

[D'Lanor] Add /deletefolder command to delete Journal folders
Some of the MOULa ages had their names changed through fan fixes. This has left early MOULa avatars with obsolete age journal folders. And apparently on MOULa the KI can also get filled with nonsense age journal folders if you visit the fun house or make use of bots. Just to be clear: Age journal folders are the folders holding your KI notes, images and marker games. How to test: To delete a folder named Bevin for example type /deletefolder Bevin
--> I did that with a 'Cleft' and a Gahreesen' folder and it worked perfectly well (I had to write those with beginning capital letters btw, e.g. 'cleft' didn't do it ...

[Adam Johnson, Christian Walther] Improve text rendering (fonts) in KI settings pages
[This makes] the text of the mini KI (player list and chat) better readable on light and patterned backgrounds. [It also removes the text shadowing on Big KI pages for better readability]
--> looked nice in Ahnonay and Minkata ...

[Christian Walther]Fix stuck-in-intro-cave bug
Fix the bug where a new player is stuck in the intro cave with the rotating wall until it occurs to them to press the esc key.
--> The intro-cave-picture briefly appears and disappears almost immediately ... if you don't know it, you won't know what that just was lol, but better than being stuck lol ...

That's it so far, bumping neighborhoods and the crash incidences cannot be tested alone and immediately ... I wish you all a great holiday season further on and a wonderful Christmas time ... Bye bye for now ... :D
rarified

Post by rarified »

Thank you Janaba! And you have a happy holiday season as well.

I'm not going to let you off the tester leash so easily though :D
_R

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”