Brief Minkata downtime Wed December 23 2015

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

rarified

Brief Minkata downtime Wed December 23 2015

Post by rarified »

I want to take Minkata down for a little while this afternoon to do some database diagnosis.

It actually will appear at times to be up, but since it will be running with an empty database, nobody's accounts will be active.

You will still be able to "create" an account, but if you do so, anything you do when I return to the normal database will disappear and your regular accounts and avatars will return.

I'm going to commence probably in about 90 minutes or so from now (around 1700 MST and KI time), and it won't be long, 30-45 minutes or so.

Thanks,
_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
rarified

Re: Brief Minkata downtime Wed December 23 2015

Post by rarified »

Minkata is back up!

Thanks! _R
charura

Post by charura »

Unfortunately, I'm still unable to test here. :cry:
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Hi, Charura and rarified, is there any progress with fixing your issue? I'm still failing to get Minkata 88 to work on my Win8.1 laptop and the symptoms seem to be similar to those Charura has reported elsewhere viewtopic.php?f=108&t=952#p8692.

I was getting the "unable to create file" error but that may have been Avast. I moved all the Minkata files to an external hard drive just in case I really did have a memory problem, though the laptop has way more memory than my win7 one.

Edited: no, I've not fixed that problem - despite having avast switched off, I just got it again

I have managed to get the launcher to show v88, so that's progress, but the launch process stalls at the point where it is using 10.3 meg of memory, according to Task Manager, just after the "Approx time remaining" display first shows data. Then the time remaining ticks up every few of minutes to reach ridiculous heights until I kill the launcher. (Currently 11 days plus.) I have deleted the TOS file in case the installation was corrupted, I have switched off Avast - I just wondered if it was a Windows firewall issue but I couldn't recognise anything in the 8.1 firewall list to allow or disallow.

Edited - I've finally got beyond this sticking point, goodness knows how - and I got a new TOS file but it's blank - maybe the "unable to create file" error related to that? And, although I had copied over the sfx, dat and avi files, I had the "file not found on server" error. I'll try copying them again....but this feels so like Charura's experience...

(Treehugger in Minkata)
rarified

Post by rarified »

Treehugger, I have a confession to make. I dropped the ball on this one :oops:

Today is a little busy for me but I may have time later tonight to consider some next steps to suggest. Hang in there. We will drive out the gremlins!

_R
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I presume the TOS.txt file is zero bytes long? That often happens if the server doesn't have the file to deliver (and also goes with the "file not available on server" error): while that would be understandable for one of the game files, and would suggest that one of the MOULa files you copied over was out of date (sometimes it's a good idea to force a check of MOULa before copying the files) that shouldn't be a problem for TOS.txt. Sounds like there's something going on with the manifests :?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
rarified

Post by rarified »

Mac_Fife wrote:I presume the TOS.txt file is zero bytes long? That often happens if the server doesn't have the file to deliver (and also goes with the "file not available on server" error): while that would be understandable for one of the game files, and would suggest that one of the MOULa files you copied over was out of date (sometimes it's a good idea to force a check of MOULa before copying the files) that shouldn't be a problem for TOS.txt. Sounds like there's something going on with the manifests :?
No, the file is the usual Cyan tos.txt ... It sounds like the updater simply could not write it out.

I wonder.... If you simply moved the folder where you placed the Minkata game components to a different name and created a new empty folder with the original name, moved what you have from the old folder into the new folder, and try running the updater again, does anything different happen?

There can be characteristics attached to a folder itself which might cause problems like this.

_R
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

rarified wrote:No, the file is the usual Cyan tos.txt ... It sounds like the updater simply could not write it out.
Yes, that's what I meant - there ought not to be a problem with that file, so if it is being created but not populated then something "funny" is happening.
Mac_Fife
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

No problem, rarified, I know you have been very busy, as we heard at the AGM yesterday. But I feel for poor Charura, stuck for ages - at least I have my Win7 laptop to test with.

I have no idea what is happening to my Win8.1 installation. The TOS file was zero kb in size and when I clicked on it to open it, it had no text in it.

So I tried rarified's suggestion. I don't know if it matters where I put the folder - I know that it did matter for older versions of Windows. I put this one in documents. We really seemed to be getting somewhere - the download actually seemed to be happening. I got a TOS file with substance to it. But then I got the message "urulauncher.exe has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly etc etc. " I rebooted the computer, and now I get that same message each time I launch the launcher, very soon after it starts.

I can move the folder to somewhere else and try again.....

edited - moved the folder to desktop, then got the "unable to create file. Hard drive may be full" error .

Talking of the AGM, Mac - have you caught up on what you missed? :lol:

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Treehugger wrote:Talking of the AGM, Mac - have you caught up on what you missed? :lol:
Only just ;) :D
Mac_Fife

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”