Brief Minkata downtime Wed December 23 2015

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

janaba

Re: Brief Minkata downtime Wed December 23 2015

Post by janaba »

Treehugger wrote:Talking of the AGM, Mac - have you caught up on what you missed? :lol:
... :lol: ... Happy belated Bday, Mac ... :D
charura

Post by charura »

Yes, still in limbo here,... take your time rarified, I must be a strange case...Although my family has said that for years now.. :mrgreen:
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Treehugger wrote:But then I got the message "urulauncher.exe has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly etc etc. " I rebooted the computer, and now I get that same message each time I launch the launcher, very soon after it starts.
That sounds like something we might be able to latch onto. I don’t remember exactly how much useful information that dialog box contains (in particular the address where it crashed), but I seem to remember there is some kind of a “show more details” button that reveals some technical gobbledygook. If that is the case, could you post a screenshot of it?
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Hi, Christian, afraid not - it just says "windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". I've gone to the "Action Center" but "no issues have been detected" and I haven't managed to find where else error notifications end up - if anywhere - in Win 8.1.

Today, the killer is the "unable to create file" message. I have been moving the folder around and I seem to get it wherever it is - it comes at the end of a long and apparently succesful download when the folder is in docs; when it's anywhere else, the message triggers earlier in the proccess. Adam says in this excellent post viewtopic.php?f=92&p=8816#p8813that it's a permissions problem so I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong and how to overcome it. Might it be some Windows security issue?

Oh, and another weird thing - at some point in my attempts yesterday, UruExplorer.exe lost its logo and now gives me the message "This app can't run on your pc. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher".

I'm suspecting the best plan is to scrap the whole installation and start from scratch - but I can't find a "download here" link. I seem to remember that openuru only allows access to the downloader if you set up a new account but I already have one - there don't seem to be any instructions about how I get back to the downloader using my existing account? I have a feeling Mac helped me through this in the past, but I can't remember what I had to do. Adam's comments about the customer experience rang so true - you guys are so helpful but I feel bad taking your time up with what are minor issues compared with the stuff you should be working on, so I struggle on, getting crosser and crosser. Others would have given up by now - I'm just too stubborn!

SO looking forward to the Minkata version of the Gehn shard installer!

edited to make minor correction

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I've re-sent the PM ;)
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Mac_Fife wrote:I've re-sent the PM ;)
:oops: :lol:

Thanks - so I'm not completely hopeless, because at least I thought I remembered we had had that discussion! But I had no idea where we had had it! :roll:

(Treehugger in Minkata)
rarified

Post by rarified »

Let me know if the instructions don't work; I updated them since we changed the build process which created a single file for the updater, so we don't need to deliver a self-extracting archive any more. Just the updater executable will do to pull all the rest of Minkata's changes.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
charura

Post by charura »

My latest attempt to install brings this:

Then this:

Then this:

Then it closes...Maybe that will help?
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

some of those look like familiar errors, Charura! BUT - I think I'm finally in business, via a clean install, which is currently downloading. Adam's tip-off about permissions being the cause of the "drive may be full" message led me to an article about Win7 folder permissions and I played around with mine, even though the instructions didn't point exactly what to do in Win 8.1 and what I did was guesswork. Not sure if that was what caused my breakthrough but it might help you?

Rarified - I've just grumbled to Mac that the knowledgebase article http://support.openuru.org/knowledgebase.php?article=2 about the missing dlls correctly identifies the error message I got, but is set up to point to a download for a different dll - so unless you're wide awake, as I wasn't, you'll end up downloading the wrong file and then being puzzled about why the fix didn't work.

Having disabled avast, I also hit lots of warnings from Windows that the openuru website was unsafe, its security certificate wasn't valid, I really shouldn't go to it, let alone click on anything once I got there.....so a newbie might well be scared off before actually managing to get to the launcher.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
rarified

Post by rarified »

Those errors indicate that the updater cannot find or open one of the files you should have copied from your MOULa installation into the Minkata folder. Not necessarily that you didn't copy them, but the updater couldn't access them to verify them.

I am away from my computer to try to work out the list of permission stuff to check but will do so in a while if no one else beats me to it.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”