Minkata Outage Saturday 2018.04.21

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

rarified

Minkata Outage Saturday 2018.04.21

Post by rarified »

Shorah all!

I'm going to be taking Minkata down this afternoon for a major software upgrade. I expect it to be back up after maybe 18:00 MDT/KI barring any unforeseen problems.

Minkata has been running steadily on the MOSS server that was built in January 2012, just after the Uru client was open sourced. With only a handful of crashes (most during a stress test party in March 2012) it has held it's own remarkably well.

Over the last couple of months, I decided to work through the process of rebuilding MOSS, in part to help some other fans trying to get their own MOSS shards running. It turns out over these last 6 years that I have updated various libraries and tools on my server in a patchwork fashion, and MOSS failed to build properly.

It's been necessary (both for MOSS and my ability to build other open source software) to rebuild all of the material that MOSS depends upon. This ranges from the Gnu C compiler suite all the way to a newer version of the PostgreSQL database server. That work is finally completed! :D

So I will be moving Minkata to a new version of MOSS, the vault will be moved to a new version of Postgres, and I'm crossing my fingers everything works in harmony. Individual system tests say it will, but those of you who've built card houses know how this works ;)

The vault will be kept intact, so no player information or age state will be lost. I'll post a followup when Minkata is again available.

Thanks for your patience! This gets me one step closer to (re-)enabling Minkata "prime" that will be the platform for testing fan content.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
rarified

Re: Minkata Outage Saturday 2018.04.21

Post by rarified »

We're back. Sorta.

Minkata is running fine on the new database server, but the MOSS server appears to have a C++ string handling issue. It may be a Gnu C compiler/library issue.

I'm going to leave it up for now in the working state, and probably come back to it tomorrow with a debugging axe in hand. :shock:

_R
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Careful with that axe, Eugene.
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

I finally found the culprit, a day-one buffer overflow from mis-using the system function readdir_r().

Minkata has been updated and restarted, and the axe has been sheathed. :mrgreen:

I have so many spot fixes to MOSS that I use on Minkata it may take a while to post them all for review and commit them to the public repositories. If anyone has had problems with MOSS when it attempts to read the SDL directory (symptom would be black screen after linking to age), PM me and I'll give you the fixes.

_R

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”