Restoration Updates

In-Character Discussions
Garrett Powell

Restoration Updates

Post by Garrett Powell »

Shorah fellow explorers. Following the disappointing announcement by Mark DeForest concerning the DRC forum’s fate, I wondered how many explorers would be interested in helping me provide regular cavern updates in this forum thread?

Ever since the DRC left restoration duties in the hands of explorers several years ago, we have yet to find a place outside their domain where we can converse and promote the restoration’s ongoing work. OpenUru would certainly be an easier route than KI mail for us explorers to keep in touch, and could also provide another avenue where we can publicly discuss any activities within the restoration itself. I have already spoken with the OpenUru admins and they are fine with these discussions taking place, but are clear that they must remain on this forum.

To kick off this thread, I’d personally like to thank our newest recruit, Lenny, for all the hard work he’s put in towards the restoration of Mechanical Age.

We hope our repairs and additions to Mechanical Age will be complete sometime within the next 24 months. To clarify, we aim to be finished far before the 24 month timeframe has elapsed, but must make high estimates due to our relatively small work crews. In the meantime, I hope you can forgive the restoration’s lack of news regarding this exciting endeavor. Chris realizes that explorers want news, but stresses the secrecy behind our Phase 4 restoration work due to a recent rise in malicious entities.

I look forward to any comments and further cavern updates from explorers. Chevtee.
Restoration volunteer and cavern go-to guy.
Garrett Powell

Re: Restoration Updates

Post by Garrett Powell »

Well, it appears that some of you are a little reluctant to start making regular updates. This is completely understandable, as I realize that some of the Restoration's work must be made secret until it is complete. I'm in the same boat as you I suppose. :)

Instead of restorations updates then, why don't we use this thread space to get to know each other a little better?

Let's do it this way: I'll tell you all a little more about me, and then the next person can introduce themself and tell whatever it is they do in the cavern.

Alright... I'll let's kick this off. My journey began when I first came to the cavern on one of Dr. Watson's expedition teams during the fall of 2002. I was originally assigned to a restoration team in Kerath'en, but this team was later reassigned when Dr. Watson turned his attention to the more upscale J'Taeri district. However, prior to the completion of our Phase 2 restorations there, we were informed that the DRC had lost funding and would be leaving the cavern indefinitely. Along with a handful of explorers, I stayed behind to continue the work we'd already started.

Unfortunately this work was short lived as well, because by the time we'd restarted any major restoration work, Dr. Kodama and his team were back in the cavern with a newly funded DRC team. Under his leadership, myself, along with Chris Summers and former explorers John Wallace and Christy Roberts, were assigned to restoration work on Kahlo. A year or so later, this work too was suspended, as the DRC had once again lost funding.

By this time I was extremely frustrated with these horrible series of events. I had dedicated my life to the cavern at this point, and I couldn't bear to see it end like this. Fortunately, other explorers felt this way too. Chris Summers in particular held a grudge towards the way the DRC's handled restoration work, faulting them with the failure to keep funds in the bank. Thankfully, Chris turned this hate into a force for good, and head started the current, and singularly titled, Restoration. The Restoration was off to a rocky start back in 2007, but by early 2012 had grown to a rather large size.

I in particular have done many different jobs for The Restoration during this time period. To generalize, I'm an "all-around," and am called onto jobs whenever my touch is needed. I can be found just about anywhere a group of explorers are; whether it's the Quab Shack, Mechanical Age, Ae'gura, Tiwah, or any other place or age, you can rest assured I'm helping you all make the entire cavern a much better place.

Ok, that's my story. I'm anxious to hear everyone else's, so get to it!
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

Hi Garret!

I'll briefly introduce myself. My name is Trekluver, and I am a community veteran of two+ years. My journey began when I first encountered the games based on the D'ni civilization. I loved them so much that I joined the cavern community around the time that the online video game went live again. Since then I have been the planner of such events as the wildly popular Online Mysterium and the venerable ADBMM, and was also responsible for jumpstarting the Guild of New Greeters.

Your story sounds very interesting. Maybe we'll see each other in the cavern someday and you can tell me more about it. I do have a question for you though. You mention the Restoration; I currently know of no one who is a member of such restoration. Could you please provide more details about this and also some detail on what ages, as well as where they found or how they acquired the linking books from the DRC, the Restoration is currently working on restoring? Thanks. :D
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
Garrett Powell

Post by Garrett Powell »

I offer you a warm hello Trekluver. :) It was wonderful to read another explorer's story, and I'm very glad you enjoyed mine.

To answer your question about The Restoration, most of our work goes on behind the scenes. While some of that work becomes inter-guild related down the road, most of the time what you'll hear about will come from individual explorers just like us who happen to be assigned to a project; sometimes, this also requires them to be silent about their affiliations. To put that in plainer terms, we're always in the cavern, but our policy is to stay publicly silent until we have news that is ready to be announced.

What ages are we currently restoring and how do we acquire linking books? Well, as I stated above, we only release news when it becomes publicly relevant. Therefore, outside of Mechanical Age, I cannot tell you what other ages we are currently restoring. Same goes for the acquiring of linking books as well. I can tell you that Mechanical Age's book was acquired from a former DRC worker who wished to remain anonymous. (Since I was not part of the transaction, I was not privy to knowledge of the person's identity.)

I hope I've answered your questions. Please ask more, if you are so inclined to do so, and I will try my best to answer them.
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

Sounds pretty secretive to me, but I completely understand why.

Looking forward to more of your updates in the future. :D
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Return to “Explorer Journeys”