Building A Pipeline

Any Topic

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

GPNMilano

Re: Building A Pipeline

Post by GPNMilano »

Nalates wrote: You seem to typify what I think of as a core fan; fully engaged and willing to help the community. But, your enjoying age development and probably exploring and solving puzzles all in a solo fashion. That is neither a good or bad thing just personal preference. The personality test many of us took on one of the forums seems to fit with your preferences. So, you may typify the majority of the fans/age writers. If that is accurate (not so much you but the community) then we would see more ages written by mostly solo efforts than not. That tells us something about possible production rates.
When MOUL was around I spent most of my time exploring with people in my neighborhood. Those people however are not a part of the community at the moment, but will more than likely return when MOOS gets up and running. I started age creating in late '07. So I have been building while the plugin has expanded. Most of what we can do now we couldn't do back then. Animations were controlled by python rather than through the prp files, so it was all choppy. Physics weren't what they are, lots of stuff was missing. I think this is true of many of the age builders from then. Those that have been building the longest are naturally "better" at it, as we have the most experienced. At the same time however I am seeing a trickle of new age creators that are adapt modeling and texturing, that are producing the same quality of ages.
@GPNMilano, if you were to quantify the 'actual' work time and ‘elapsed’ time to build your ages from start to finish, what would it reveal?
Honestly this is hard for me to nail down. I, like others that are producing ages, construct several ages at once. Which is why you see people talking about ages sometimes on the Forum, but they don't get released. Its because many of us are making several ages at one time and when we get bored with working on one we put it aside to focus on the other till we get bored with that one. I can only really give you a rough estimate of my own work:

Eder Licinius and my Hood Office, were built together, the hood office took me, roughly two weeks to construct from start to finish, while Eder Licinius has taken longer because of its size, and what I wanted to do with it vs what it is now. I started it for the RAD which was 3 weeks long, then again started working on it for DAWN which three months. So those two ages have a combined estimated time of 3 months. With probably 20 hours a week devoted to building them, give or take.

At the same time however I also had to update my branch of PyPRP so that it could do the things I needed it to do to construct the ages, and I also worked on two other areas/ages. On my drawing board I currently have four ages still to finish: Eder Licinius which needs some minor touch ups (90 % complete) . Eder Licinius 2, (15% complete) which I just started modeling the other day. The D'ni hood I'm building (80% complete) a D'ni interior space (60 %) and a "museum" pod (80%). Those projects, collectively, were all started in October of last year.
realXCV

Re: Building A Pipeline

Post by realXCV »

Nalates wrote:Somewhere I saw something about a texture library, a similar idea.
Me too. It was in a thread at the GoW forum with the link hidden somewhere in it.

The thread
The site

Return to “Open Discussion”