Ive been away for some time

Any Topic

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Nalates

Re: Ive been away for some time

Post by Nalates »

Rather than have a text file for the content, why not place it in a DIV in the index.php?

Since the CSS files are likely small the request time is probably greater than the load time. Is there a reason not to combine them?

The page looks fine... unless someone wants something nicer, that is very usable, clean and simple. Other than the two questions I can't see what to improve on.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

No specific reason for a separate text file, Nalates, it had more to do with the way I hacked the files out of something else that worked a very different way. What you suggest makes sense: I did this in a bit of a hurry and could probably have thought it through better. The index.php is now very small since in calls in the header and footer, so editing the bit inside the div would be easy enough for someone without getting confused by all the stuff round about.

The CSS files are separate as the print view treats specific divs, etc., differently to the screen view and these then have different resource references in the page source - for example when you print the page, the nav panel and heading banner are not shown as you're probably only interested in the main page content. The IE fixes are common to both, so rather than have to make revisions in two places whenever I found yet another IE workaround was needed...
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

That's just way too cool. And to be honest, it was Tweek's design I was intending to use as a first try - when I get around to it. Very nice direction, Mac_Fife.

One message about home page links: The home page originally had direct links to the OpenURU resources (wiki, bug tracker, etc). The instant I did that, spambots began a registration barrage. That is why the forums, which seem most secure from that, are used as link targets to the resources. i.e The home page links point to their forum resource sections instead of directly to the subdomain. And that is what makes the special resource forum links to the actual resources very handy.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Nalates wrote:Rather than have a text file for the content, why not place it in a DIV in the index.php?
Done! :D
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Nalates wrote:Using the wiki makes sense to me.

With CSS formating and the use of DIV tags rather than tables we can make a nice looking home page and still keep the HTML portion of the page very simple. If that works, I can make something for you to look at.
Mac_Fife has a sample home page up now: http://openuru.org/index2.php

Nalates, let me know when you'd like yours up to see what we think of both. Yeah, okay - no Super Bowl yet. But I don't follow football. :P
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yeah, I didn't mean to steal the task Nalates volunteered for ;) I simply needed a framework to test and demonstrate my script linking to the wiki and since I had some stuff that didn't look a million miles from the outline brief in JW's post, I just went with it. I had time to do it these past few days but if I'd waited then I maybe wouldn't have had that spare time.

I'm sure Nalates can come up with something that's a bit more artistic than my "utilitarian" efforts.
Mac_Fife
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

I think JW was interested in simple and easy over beautiful. :)

I don't mind mind your doing the page... whoever gets it done... gets it done.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Open Discussion”