Ive been away for some time

Any Topic

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

JWPlatt

Re: Ive been away for some time

Post by JWPlatt »

Nice.

Doesn't GoMa use Drupal? But I get the idea - don't let me distract you. ;)
Perfect speed is being there.
Dot

Re: I've been away for some time

Post by Dot »

GoMa was using Joomla (and I liked the text editing options it offered).

However, since the hacking incident referred to by MacFife, we've switched to a very simple set of web pages put up by Nyn, keeping editable material in the Wiki instead.
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Thanks everyone, for your enthusiasm for this project. My eyes have glazed over from reading the technospeak. When they clear, I'll begin collecting information on projects by community members. Hopefully, when the set up is ready to receive the information, I'll be able to figure out how to post it... or, maybe some kind soul here will explain it to me, step by step. :)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Tai' - it's easy, honestly. If you can use the wiki editor then you're sorted!

I've put the "host" page up (clicky) and put some sample entries in it. The key here is that the bits we want to copy are wrapped inside "dummy" tags, like:

Code: Select all

<!--INC-->[[David's Journey]]<!--/INC-->
These are actually HTML comments so they don't show on the page, but my script will recognise them as bounding content we want to copy. I've actually had some time to play with this and I now have a script that pulls the (entire) content from a nominated wiki page. It'll take me a while longer to get it selecting only the relevant parts and then translating the wiki markup to HTML.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Sigh. I'm such a technofeeb. I've never worked with a Wiki. So, please bear with me.

Right off, it's asking for a log in, but it's obviously not the same user name and password as this forum. Do I have to create a new one?
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yes, Tai'lahr, you need a separate login account for the wiki - just follow the "login/create account" link at the top right of the screen. Then select "Create Account". It should be pretty straighforward. After that I think there's an e-mail validation to go through, then you should be able to edit on the wiki.

Once that's done, you can go to the Community Portal page. At the bottom, in "Tips" you'll find a Help link that then gives you few sources of advice on editing in a wiki. The bottom line is that it's not all that different from editing on a forum; a bit different, but not too much.

If you get into trouble PM me.
Mac_Fife
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Tai'lahr, you are not the only one new to Wiki's. The first wiki page I ever edited was in Wikipedia some time in 2009.

The help files you will want for the OU wiki are here: Mediawiki Help

We can start a thread in the forum about how to edit wiki pages. I know I was stumped at the GoMa wiki trying to figure out how to make a new page. I find it totally counter-intuitive.

If you have problems, ask for help. I prolly won't be that much help, but I can try.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yes. The wiki help on this site is a bit lacking at the moment :? .

I guess I need to fix that :roll:

Edit: OK, it's not a comprehensive help guide, but I've added some basic wiki editing notes.

Edit2: My script can now pick out the "tagged" bits of interest from the wiki page. I just ( :P ) need to get it converting wiki formatted links into standard HTML hyperlinks. That'll be the fun bit.
Last edited by Mac_Fife on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Update script status
Mac_Fife
Dot

Re: I've been away for some time

Post by Dot »

Thanks for the editing help guide, MacFife. It's obvious that lots of us need such guidance with the Wiki (yes, I'm one too!).
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

OK, here's a demo I threw together this evening by grabbing some page assets I had for another website:
http://www.sjtag.org/outest/

This is currently hosted on my own site, since I don't have the admin access credentials for the database on OpenURU.org. The wiki page that it is extracting text and links from is also on my own wiki. To see the page that it is looking up, go here:
http://wiki.sjtag.org/index.php?title=Scratch_Pad

In the absence of an agreed OpenURU logo, I grabbed and butchered one of the ones Tweek proposed in his forum post:
viewtopic.php?p=1368#p1368

There are three CSS files used: One for screen view, one for print view, and one to fix some of the bugs in Internet Explorer ;) . The page's main content goes in a file called "index.txt" and can contain HTML markup to format it. There are separate PHP files for the page head, page foot and the navigation panel. A fairly simple "index.php" file pulls the whole lot together and links in my Wiki extraction script .

To create new pages, you'd simply copy and rename the "index.php" file, edit the page title and the text file link, then create the new text file with the page content.
Mac_Fife

Return to “Open Discussion”