Donald Knuth: [Split from] Getting the Ball Rolling

Any Topic

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

rarified

Donald Knuth: [Split from] Getting the Ball Rolling

Post by rarified »

Ok, this is an opening I cannot resist :mrgreen: Minor diversion ahead...
Marten wrote:I hope that we can also agree that none of us are perfect, that unless one of us is Donald Knuth that none of us write perfect code.
Back in the distant past of my grad school years, Professor Knuth was still developing his typesetting tools TeX and MetaFont. He originally developed them for the Tops-10 operating system and had decided to rewrite them in Pascal to be available to a wider audience.

At the time I was interested in typography and undertook the challenge of porting the Pascal version of MetaFont to the Berkeley Unix available on Digital VAX systems widely used at schools.

Prof. Knuth, as time progressed, was looking for ways to encourage outside review of the code to eliminate as many bugs as possible. Once he passed a point in time where he was beginning to be confident about the code (I think it was version 0.9), he started offering an incentive. Each bug found at that revision would earn the reporter a personal check from him for $0.01.

The next version of the code would come out, and the bounty increased to $0.02 for version 0.99. And successive versions kept increasing the bounty by a power of two.

I found many more bugs in the BSD Pascal compiler than ever in MetaFont, but the day came and I was shocked to find a remaining bug in the MetaFont code (they were getting pretty rare by then). I sent it in and was rewarded with a check from Prof. Knuth for $10.24. Somewhere I hope I still have the photocopy of that check; in grad school $10.24 was far too much money to leave unspent!

_R
Last edited by JWPlatt on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improve topic title
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Re: Getting the Ball Rolling

Post by JWPlatt »

That is just too cool. I have all 7 3 of his "The Art of Computer Programming" books. Never met the man.

Edit: But I met Grace Hopper. Got a real nanosecond from her too. ;)
Last edited by JWPlatt on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Grace
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Couldn't resist linking to this: http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1995-11-13/

(I might split these posts off later)
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Marten

Post by Marten »

JWPlatt wrote:That is just too cool. I have all 7 3 of his "The Art of Computer Programming" books. Never met the man.
That should be 3-and-a-fraction. "Volume 4A, Part 1" was published. http://www.amazon.com/Art-Computer-Prog ... 0201038048

Also never met the man, nor have I read his books, I must admit.
The music is reversible, but time is not.

Return to “Open Discussion”