Mac Using Crossover Cannot Open MOULa

Any Topic

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

wstrohm

Mac Using Crossover Cannot Open MOULa

Post by wstrohm »

Have been playing MOULa on my new "Hackintosh" running Mac OS X "Mavericks" 10.9.5, using Codeweavers' "Crossover" app version 13.2.0. Recently the "Crossover" app was updated to version 14.0.0, which is based on the new "WINE" version 1.7.25. Now I cannot open MOULa; the loading process stops just as the first "Updating" progress bar stops at "1 sec remaining," displaying an error dialog box claiming an "Acccess Violation" and a stack error.

I'm wondering if anyone here has investigated this problematic new issue. "Crossover Support" (Andrew Balfour) believes this a "Wine regression," i.e. a change in Wine which has removed some file or other that enabled loading of MOULa. Unfortunately, MOULa is a "Community-supported" program, not a "Crossover-supported" program, and therefore Codeweavers cannot/will not try and fix this. According to Andrew, there were more than 5,000 patches to the previous Wine version to get to this new version of Crossover.

How much influence does OpenUru.org have with developers at Codeweavers? Any possibility that this new problem might be addressed by them if you folks asked them for help?

Thanks for reading!

---- Bill Strohm
Mac_Fife

Re: Mac Using Crossover Cannot Open MOULa

Post by Mac_Fife »

I've no experience of MOUL on the Mac OS, but there was some discussion on the MOUL forums of problems with Mavericks that arose after upgrading from Snow Leopard - http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 94#p411694. I note that some people are suggesting that the old Cider wrapper is more reliable that Wineskin and so that comparison might well apply to Crossover too.

Sorry, OU will have negligible influence with Codeweavers.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
wstrohm

Post by wstrohm »

Mac_Fife,

Thanks for your reply. I followed your link and found that at least one other Mac user has or had the same problem. I guess I'm off MOUL until either Crossover is updated again or the URU app itself is changed.
wstrohm

Post by wstrohm »

FYI, Crossover was just updated from version 14.0.0 to 14.0.1. Also WINE has been updated to 1.7.29 (Crossover used 1.7.25 in its 14.0.0 version, but don't know if that has changed with 14.0.1.) Anyway, MOUL still stops loading at "1 second remaining" on its first "Updating" window, giving the same "Access Violation" and stack error as before.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I don't know how significant it is, but that's at the end of the encrypted download of the Python scripts. That far on, I wouldn't think that it's the decryption that's causing the problem, but I suppose it could be something related to the networking :? Dunno, I'm clutching at straws here.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
wstrohm

Post by wstrohm »

Discovered that Cider (with a slight modification) will run MOUL perfectly on my "Hackintosh." Thanks to "Ainia," who discovered the two files that need to be deleted, and "korovev," who wrote an Automator script that does it automatically, Cider will open and play MOUL with no issues at all. I documented my procedure in this forum thread:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=27623

Return to “Open Discussion”