Explorers Memorial

Any Topic

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Tai'lahr

Re: Explorers Memorial

Post by Tai'lahr »

It would be nice if someone would create a memorial webpage/site (not a wiki page) without the fictional characters, and since at least two on the list never made it to the cavern, I would suggest the title be "Memorial for Myst/Uru Community Members" to be more inclusive.

In the meantime, I'm considering changing the introductory paragraph to something like:
The Explorers Memorial is a monument of four rings with a scrolling list of names, located just outside of the Kahlo Pub on Ae'gura Island in the game, Myst Online: Uru Live. This page is a list of those names, exactly as they appear on the memorial and is intended to provide more information on the people behind them, both real and fictional, but with more emphasis on the real community members who were lost to us and are missed by their friends. For more information on the history of the memorial, please see the section, "IC & OOC History."

But, then I'll need to write a history section and I need a break, so I'll just drop my initial research here if anyone wants to look at it and comment:

Original paragraph / start of history section:
Spoiler
In Myst Online: Uru Live, during the episode, "Scars" (May 19 - 23, 2007), two of the NPCs, Willow "Wheely" Engberg and Rosette Taylor died in an area near the Kahlo pub. After their deaths and as part of the story, wreaths and wrapped flowers appeared in the place where they died. A few weeks later, those items were removed and a permanent memorial of four rings with scrolling names was placed nearby, just outside of the Kahlo pub. This page is a list of those names along with information about the real people behind them.
Threads Suggesting a Memorial:
Spoiler
June 2006 MOUL forum thread by Eleri: Memorial Plaque
RAWA post
Jan 2007 MOUL forum thread by Marck: A graveyard
Sept 2006 MOUL forum thread by crrash: Tombs, Crypts and Graveyards
March 2007 MOUL forum thread by Vormaen: An idea for those who have passed
April 2007 MOUL forum thread by Simon_Bitdiddle: DRC ResEng Memorial?
History of the Memorial & How Players felt about the IC characters:
Spoiler
May 2007 MOUL forum thread by Dadguy: Wheely is missing?-Update; Dreadful News
May 23, 2007 MOUL forum post by Babylon: Memorial
May 23, 2007 MOUL forum thread by SuperGram: Memorial for Wheely and Rose
May 23, 2007 MOUL forum thread by Urie: Service for the Departed
Jun 10, 2007 MOUL forum post by tachzusamm: Ireen's Song for Wheely
Jun 12, 2007 MOUL forum thread by Ravenclaw: Raven's Memorial Walk
Jun 26, 2007 MOUL forum thread by Ravin: Memorial Marker
Sept 2, 2007 MOUL forum post by Marten: mention of Memorial

The names that were initially listed: James "Aquila" Carpenter, Jim "Dust'ei" Rhodes, "JDrake, "Mo'zie", Phil "phend" Henderson, "Rasmine", Rosette Taylor, Janet "Pehpsi" Burress, Willow "Wheely" Engberg

Feb 26, 2008 MOUL forum post by vidkid7: RECAP: The Restoration So Far... (1987 to May 2007) - .:*09 A New Light*:.
vidkid7 wrote:.:*09 A New Light*:.
As summer months approached on the surface, more and more explorers were choosing to spend their time in the cavern, despite the tragic events of the last month. The community continued to grow, while the remaining DRC pressed on with the restoration, and as the last full week of June came around, a spectacular announcement was made. The initial calibration of the Great Zero had been completed, and plans were in place to have the device activated and functional the next evening.

Meanwhile, as explorers mulled over the same bit of mystery that's been eating at them for months, Marie Sutherland made her way into the Kahlo Pub to unveil a new item. There in the entrance to the pub, near the crack that had kept everyone in bated breath a month ago, stood a new imager. On this imager were several slowly rotating rings, each one displaying it's own set of names. Names of explorers that have passed away over the last few years... people lost to illness, events on the surface, and even those who gave their lives for the restoration. A memorial to stand as long as the restoration continued, a way to remember that which should never be forgotten. The people.
Controversy:
Spoiler
Jul 09, 2006 MOUL forum post by JWPlatt: JWPlatt post - JWPlatt wrote: "death in Uru doesn't compare in the slightest to death in real life."
Jun 27, 2007 MOUL forum thread (poll) by BrettM: MOVE THE MEMORIAL! - includes discussion about mixing real & fictional people
Geert suggests two separate memorials: Geert
Tweek posts about Cyan's intentions: Tweek
July 5, 2007 MOUL forum thread (poll) by joaopedro: Who is the voice from the past? *episode 7 spoilers!* - includes discussion about Phil Henderson's name being on the memorial.
Aug 21, 2007 MOUL forum thread by Unicorn: Two Things Missing in City ?!!
Wafna
April 2010 - Phil's name on the memorial in MOULAgain
July 28, 2008 MOUL forum post by dtierce: dtierce- suggesting the memorial should only be for those that died in that spot.
What IS this?
Spoiler
Tributes:
Spoiler
Feb 13, 2008 MOUL forum thread by mcladyb: Tribute to Pepsi and an impact that Uru made on people

Feb 19, 2010 MOUL forum thread by ghaelen: Saturday Memorial and Welcome Home at Kahlo Pub

2011: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 66&t=25395 - MOULA 2nd Anniversary Opening/Closing Ceremonies

Feb 2015: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 66&t=27740 - MOULa 2015 Anniversary: GoH - Remembering and Reuniting
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Tai'lahr wrote:It would be nice if someone would create a memorial webpage/site (not a wiki page) without the fictional characters, and since at least two on the list never made it to the cavern, I would suggest the title be "Memorial for Myst/Uru Community Members" to be more inclusive.
I'm not entirely clear on what you have in mind for this, so when you have time, a bit more of an explanation would help; there are probably a couple of ways to do this depending on what "the vision" is.

As for the history of the memorial, I personally think it'd work better for it to be a separate page/article, rather than a section within the main page: Some people reading about the people commemorated may not want to be reading about things like the controversies (which I think is a significant aspect).

On a related topic: In the notes on each person, some of the "sections" were given headings (e.g. "Memberships") but others weren't - would you like to consider headings for the other parts? If so, I can easily add them into the template, so they'd ripple out without you needing to touch the existing pages.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Mac_Fife wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:It would be nice if someone would create a memorial webpage/site (not a wiki page) without the fictional characters, and since at least two on the list never made it to the cavern, I would suggest the title be "Memorial for Myst/Uru Community Members" to be more inclusive.
I'm not entirely clear on what you have in mind for this, so when you have time, a bit more of an explanation would help; there are probably a couple of ways to do this depending on what "the vision" is.
Well, it's not really my vision; that would be up to someone who is more passionate about separating the real people from the fictional characters. My vision and mission was simply to answer the question, "What is this thing with rings and scrolling names outside of the Kahlo Pub?" I've done that and now the information is there for anyone to use as they see fit. Doobes may use it for his memorial age and anyone else is free to use it for their age or webpage/site.
Mac_Fife wrote:As for the history of the memorial, I personally think it'd work better for it to be a separate page/article, rather than a section within the main page: Some people reading about the people commemorated may not want to be reading about things like the controversies (which I think is a significant aspect).
I'll have to give this some thought. At first, I thought, yes, that would be the sensitive thing to do, but then I think about the purpose of the page being to inform and the expectation that the main viewers will be newcomers and it just makes sense to have it all in one place. If it matters, I was planning to tack it on to the bottom of the page... right past Rosette Taylor. Let's wait until I've written it and then decide.
Mac_Fife wrote:On a related topic: In the notes on each person, some of the "sections" were given headings (e.g. "Memberships") but others weren't - would you like to consider headings for the other parts? If so, I can easily add them into the template, so they'd ripple out without you needing to touch the existing pages.
If you mean the dates, location, bio, etc. sections, then no, I don't want them. As it is, you've made it look very similar, but better than the way I had it originally and I like that. I would prefer to have a blank space when no information is available than to have a heading with TBD next to it. I've noticed that, with the exception of the Memberships & Remembrances sections, the other section names turn off when information is provided (except for the name which brings up "Surface Name" and that's fine); is there something I can put in these when I don't have information to make the heading & TBD not appear? I've tried empty spaces and empty quotations (""), but finally resorted to dashes.

Thanks again for all the help on this, Mac.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Tai'lahr wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:As for the history of the memorial, I personally think it'd work better for it to be a separate page/article, rather than a section within the main page: Some people reading about the people commemorated may not want to be reading about things like the controversies (which I think is a significant aspect).
I'll have to give this some thought. At first, I thought, yes, that would be the sensitive thing to do, but then I think about the purpose of the page being to inform and the expectation that the main viewers will be newcomers and it just makes sense to have it all in one place. If it matters, I was planning to tack it on to the bottom of the page... right past Rosette Taylor. Let's wait until I've written it and then decide.
I was actually beginning to think of turning the whole thing around... Write up all the stuff describing the memorial on the page you already have and move the explorer details off onto a new page; it has more of a logical progression to it that way (in my opinion).
Tai'lahr wrote:I would prefer to have a blank space when no information is available than to have a heading with TBD next to it. I've noticed that, with the exception of the Memberships & Remembrances sections, the other section names turn off when information is provided (except for the name which brings up "Surface Name" and that's fine); is there something I can put in these when I don't have information to make the heading & TBD not appear? I've tried empty spaces and empty quotations (""), but finally resorted to dashes.
If you'd asked about that earlier rather than trying to work out your own solution I could have saved you a lot trouble ;) - Yes, it's easy to do that, but I didn't know what you were hoping to do when information was absent, so I put in placeholder to show that it was absent. If you want the entire line/section to vanish if it's empty I can do that. But you'll then to go round removing all your added dashes.

EDIT: Template updated to behave as (I think) described: Blank fields will no longer display.
Mac_Fife
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Mac_Fife wrote:But you'll then to go round removing all your added dashes.
There aren't that many. I'm a very thorough researcher. :P
Mac_Fife wrote:EDIT: Template updated to behave as (I think) described: Blank fields will no longer display.
Thank you! :)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

There were only three that I saw, so I edited them myself.
BTW, you can simply omit empty fields altogether, you don't need to type in the field name and set it blank, although I guess it helps to have fields there for when you come back to add details later.
Mac_Fife
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Mac_Fife wrote:BTW, you can simply omit empty fields altogether,
No, I'm pretty sure I tried that - the most logical step to try - but they showed up, anyway.

Regardless, thank you for fixing it. :)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

OK, I wasn't clear - I meant it'd work now, not before. The template is set up to treat missing fields and present but blank fields exactly the same way. Previously, that would mean the default text would display in either case, now it is just omitted altogether.
Mac_Fife
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Mac_Fife wrote:I meant it'd work now, not before.
Whew, I was afraid I'd lost my mind. ;)

Well, after much thought and considering input from several people, I have moved all of the stories for the real people to a new In Memoriam page and re-worked the Explorers Memorial page. I will work on adding more history to the main page as time permits, but feel it's sufficient for the moment.

As always, feedback is welcome. :)

pfffft, the spell-checker here flags "memoriam."

Return to “Open Discussion”